What the Democratic Party is Good For

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Contrary to popular belief, most days I consider myself a republican. It occurred to me that the democratic party is an essential element of the American political landscape. Without it, we would have a one-party system. I'm curious: is anybody in favor of that?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: What the Democratic Party is Good For

Actually both parties are pathetic, its just a question of the lesser of two evils.<br /><br />We need a third party lead by someone who isnt an egotistical millionaire.<br /><br />Problem is, the sheeple wont listen to anyone but the people who are rich enough to afford the publicity.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have my agreements and disagreements with the radical factions of both parties. I agree that the radicals are pathetic.<br /><br />Each party serves a very valuable function: to monitor and "keep honest" the other party.<br /><br />Most of the time I am pretty conservative, the rest of the time I am pretty liberal.<br /><br />I will be very interested to see how the Senate treats Harriet Miers, with her history of activism against Roe v. Wade, homosexual liberties, and other privacy issues. I see those as fringe radical positions and wonder if she can set them aside and convince the Senate that she can set them aside in favor of the rule of law.<br /><br />Contrary to the media position and that of many sound bytes, I see her confirmation as one hell of a big fight.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Cindy Sheehan isn't wealthy and she got publicity. :confused:

rogerwa

Commander

I went through this same thought process and came to the same conclusion. I beleive radical change in the party structure could lead to more chaos in ourt political environment that already exists.<br /><br />The thing I am alarmed with is the trend towards 'anything goes' politics. the prarties need to approach each other with respect and draw and respect a line that nobody crosses simply from personal gain.<br /><br />Personal gain at the expense of our country is really the danger we face. Being a conservative to the bone, I see most of this danger emanating from the liberal side of the fence. Cindy Sheehan being a perfect example.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Cindy Sheehan isn't wealthy and she got publicity. :confused:
Yup. And most Muslims don't go around blowing themselves up. There are exceptions to every rule it seems.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Cindy was radical anti-bush and that will always get you on TV.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

JB wrote:<br /><br />
I will be very interested to see how the Senate treats Harriet Miers, with her history of activism against Roe v. Wade, homosexual liberties, and other privacy issues. I see those as fringe radical positions and wonder if she can set them aside and convince the Senate that she can set them aside in favor of the rule of law.<br /><br />Contrary to the media position and that of many sound bytes, I see her confirmation as one hell of a big fight.<br />
I agree. She's "unknown" which scares the bejeebers out of both. It sounds, to me, like she had a life changing event, like GWB.<br /><br />Some of us have had those. I can speak, from experience.<br /><br />The Democratic Party left many, years ago. Problem is that many don't know it.<br /><br />A two, or more, party system is ESSENTIAL to our Representative Republic form of governance.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Cindy Sheehan isn't wealthy and she got publicity. :confused:
Exception to the rule SS.<br /><br />1) She was anti Bush, so that was enough to make the media glom on to her.<br /><br />2) There was nothing else going on in the news so these voracious 24/7 'news' outlets need something to fill up the airwaves.<br /><br />Notice how she was dropped like a hot potatoe when Katrina hit.

D

DJ

She's back!!!!<br /><br />She had all of 30 supporters, here in Phoenix.<br /><br />I really feel sorry for her, being duped and led like that.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

What the Democratic Party is Good For?<br /><br />Tax and spend :( <br /><br /> What is the Republican Party good for?<br /><br />Borrow and spend :(

PW2

Commander

JB,<br /><br />I tend to agree with your assessment, and I tend to think radicals on either side of the debate tend to marginalize that debate.<br /><br />Cindy Sheehan is entitled to her views, but she does not represent the democratic party, nor does anyone else.<br /><br />Nor does any one person represent the Republican Party. Contrary to popular belief, I have voted for my share of Republicans, if they tend to share my philosophy. Former Gov Dan Evans of Washington, or Fmr Senator Slade Gorton come immediately to mind.<br /><br />Lately due to wildly partisan ramblings which make good media events, it is hard to get to any sort of rational debate. It's too bad, IMO.<br /><br />I also agree that Ms. Miers faces a tough battle.

KaGee

Admiral

For anyone who thinks Cindy isn't being financed... i got some real prime real estate down in New Orleans I'd like to sell :p

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

When the people found out they could vote themselves money is when it all started spiraling downward. Who gets the money depends on what party you vote for. We spend more time defining who we are, we forget we are all americans.<br /><br />Its all so sad.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I ain't rich, but I'm famous. :D <br />Can I run?

treedancer

Commander

i got some real estate down in New Orleans i'd like to sell <br /> <br />If its above sea level let me know .Might be interested. :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I ain't rich, but I'm famous. :D <br />Can I run?
You got my vote!<br /><br />Can I be on your campaign commitee?? :D

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

NEWS FLASH:<br /><br />We have a two party system but it's not R's & D's. The two parties are:<br /><br />1. Polititians<br /><br />2. The rest of us<br /><br />Polititians in both parties make a good living by telling their supporters what they want to hear. The main goal of all of them is RE-ELECTION. Ya, we have two very distinct views on how things should be in this country, but the bottom line is that the polititians only fuel the fires. They put on a good show, but for the most part they are all crooks.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Contrary to popular belief, most days I consider myself a republican. It occurred to me that the democratic party is an essential element of the American political landscape. Without it, we would have a one-party system. I'm curious: is anybody in favor of that?
No more Kennedys? No more clintons? dingy harry's? no more moores?<br />I have to admit --- a country populated by 12Footer clones sounds pretty good upon the face of it. <br />But wouldn't it get pretty boring without the comic relief seeing a Cindy sittin in a ditch in front of the president's house?<br />And what would we watch on TV? No more news shows, or daily shows? No movie industry?<br />Even God-fearin Reaganite constitutional purests like me would get bored to tears in less than a week. :rolleyes: <br /><br />In order to understand absurdity, it must be illustrated every so often.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I'm afraid I have to agree with alden.<br /><br />Since the democrats have turned the reins over to the likes of Pelosi, Schumer, and Kennedy, they don't stand a snowball in hell's chance of regaining lost power...the result is those borrow-and-spend republicans we have come to know of late. It seems to prove that deep down, all politicians are the same---self-serving weasels looking to keep themselves in the gravy.<br /><br />If the dems ever come back down to earth and drop their radical agenda, maybe we can get back to a true two-party system. Til then, it's gonna be us 'n' them---"them" being the politicians.