What size outboard?

Soundslikefun

Seaman
I have finished restoring my 1964 16' MFG Westfield Custom and have decided to replace my current 75hp outboard. I used it last year and if seemed to be just the right power for my needs with this boat. Late in the year I found it had very low compression and it's not worth putting any more $$ into.

The boat is rated for up to a 60hp. I would like to get a smaller engine, but would like similar performance. I am assuming that with low compression the current 75hp was not living up to the potential of a typical 75hp, so I may be able to go into a smaller, but stronger engine and get similar results.

Any suggestions as to how small I dare go? We use it for fishing and towing the kids around tubing on Minnesota lakes.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size outboard?

lol.....you might want to ask the mods to move this to the ob forum.....we can help you build it.....they can power it. ;)

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What size outboard?

I'd put as big as I can on it. You can always run it at low speed but never get a small one to go as fast as a big one. Just my opinion.

Have checked out the MFG forum under the manufacturer's forums? There are a few of those boats owned by people who use that forum. You could hear opinions from those who have experience with that year & model MFG.

Here is a link to a horsepower formula.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ratedHP.html