What size motor can I put on?

Oleboatlife

Recruit
I recently got a thundercraft off a guy with no motor, I'm not sure what model it is since he pulled the stickers off. But I would say it's a mid to late 80's and it looks exactly like the one in the pic. So what model is it? I measured it the best I could alone but it's hard to hold the tape measure from falling lol. It's a 15 - 16ft, how big of a motor can they hold? I have seen the 15-16 foots with anything from 50hp to the biggest I saw and also saw the most were 90hp, I'm looking at a 75hp in the next few days, would that be too big? I can't see it if some run 90hp?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-140443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-140443_Gallery.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

what does your paperwork say the boat is?
what does the capacity tag on the back of the boat say you can have for a motor

without paperwork, you may not be able to register the boat in your name

Oleboatlife

Recruit
welcome aboard

what does your paperwork say the boat is?
what does the capacity tag on the back of the boat say you can have for a motor

without paperwork, you may not be able to register the boat in your name
I didn't get any paper work, it was kind of one of those friend of a friend's dad's deal, wanted it gone ASAP and I made it gone, supposedly around here all I need is proof of purchase.. (bill of sale) which I can get someone to write one. There is no tags or stickers. Only the "thunderbird" stickers on the sides at the back.

matt167

Captain
Boats dating back to the 60's had capacity tags. Your answer is found on that. As far as title, be sure to put it in your name before spending anything on it.. And understand that a free boat isn't free

Oleboatlife

Recruit
I can't find any capacity tags. Guessing it got broken off? For the price I'm not concerned, if I can't get it in my name no big loss lol. Just trying to figure out what size motor