What should I do????

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Wellcraft 16CCF powered by 1977 55hp Evinrude. Motor has a hydrofoil on it.

The boat had a horrible 15P prop on it, it looks like someone took a file to it. So last season I used a fairly new 13P prop and kept an eye on the tach, because it will rev ~6200 WOT.

I purchased the 13P because I like to wakeboard behind the boat and the 13P has great hole shot, just a little slow for wakeboarding WOT and its turning over 6000.

Recently I purchased a Turning Point Hustler 17P, trimmed just right with two on board and a full tank of gas it will turn 5400 WOT and push us ~26mph. This is plenty fast for wakeboarding, however I feel the hole shot will be really bad, and if there are more people on the boat than just the driver, we may not even get up on plane! With the 17P time to plane is pretty bad, and trimmed all the way down it won't get over 5000 RPMs. I haven't even attempted 4 people on board with the prop.

I'd rather not buy a new 15P prop, having three already....

My question is: What should I do? I've been told adding some cup to the 13P will gain top end and bring RPMs down to operating range. It would be my watersports/heavy loads prop. I could then keep the 17P as it is for light loads/top speed. Can I add pitch to the 13? I'd like to do the best and cheapest option. Also, I've never had prop work done, but have been told Admirals in Tampa is the best place to go.

Do you guys think running the 17P prop is over propping? It gets in the OR but like I said it takes some serious trimming to get it there, and will cavitate if turning sharply.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: What should I do????

Assuming the boat is a 77 it is 1000lbs dry.Probably over 1300 setup.Motor is rated at 5,000
so at 5400 your at the high end of the rpm range.The speed seems a little slow for 5400 rpm.
Is it by gps?You should confirm your speed and rpm.Be sure motor is in excellent tune and the throttle opens all the way
A 17" pitch will likely plane slower than a 13 but isn't the Hustler vented? That should help hole shot some.What hp is the boat rated for?At speed your foil should be visable.If your dragging it through the water it will hurt your speed.
You could get the 13 repitched and maybe add some cup.Probably 40 to$60.With a 55 you may have to run one prop for water sports and another for cruising.If you have manual trim you you could trim in a notch for water sports.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What should I do????

Boat is a 1997 wellcraft 16 ft Fiberglass Center Console, it is heavy for a 16ft boat and for a 55 hp. Its rated up to a 90hp. I thought OR was 5000-6000, and its best to be closer to the top. I used a GPS for speed. Motor is good, recent rebuild by a mechanic, throttle plates open flat. The Hustler isn't vented.

Could they repitch the 13 all the way to a 15? The motor is mounted on a CMC power trim, which puts the motor back a few inches from the transom as well.