What should I do with this free boat?

Bigcountry78

Cadet
Looking for honest opinions on what to do with this thing. It’s free, with title. And my cousin gave me a trailer for it. But, the floor is rotten and the front fiberglass deck is busted, so my thoughts are to part it out, scrap the hull, and rent the trailer out. Does anyone see any parts here that are desirable? I have a bass boat im working on, so I’m thinking I could use some parts there. I’ve already taken the seats and fish finder. Got a pretty nice shorelandr trailer too.A000C0E8-EA03-4E3E-B9CC-59E00644F826.jpegFB7644EB-110F-48C9-A465-CC7D611744DE.jpeg06242BCA-C2BF-48D4-8450-5CA89C6C90BC.jpegE9311148-740E-4B47-87A8-5522C280DB26.jpeg96E7D5D4-A106-417F-99C9-F64D0649485A.jpeg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. In my experience…something like this is is all dependent on the health of the engine. If she has compression, it’s worth (certainly to a boat guy) getting her back in working order. But be advised…I even if that engine runs and has health…if the gearbox is missing, you’ll be out of pocket by a fair amount to get another…if you can find one. If the engine isn’t healthy…it’s worth its sum in parts. Engine excluded from the matter…in my experience and where I live…a old hull on its own is worth nothing. Would cost you more to scrap it, than it’s worth usually. Not to mention the thoughts around the risk that its transom, stringers and floor being rotten too.
Always love to see guys bring boats like this back to health…but that would depend on talent, commitment and time for sure. Best of luck with her. Love to see you get her back running. Allan.

Buzzsaw420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might get something for the walk thru windshield they are popular with us bow riders and the rod holders are worth $15 each. Cheers.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. In my experience…something like this is is all dependent on the health of the engine. If she has compression, it’s worth (certainly to a boat guy) getting her back in working order. But be advised…I even if that engine runs and has health…if the gearbox is missing, you’ll be out of pocket by a fair amount to get another…if you can find one. If the engine isn’t healthy…it’s worth its sum in parts. Engine excluded from the matter…in my experience and where I live…a old hull on its own is worth nothing. Would cost you more to scrap it, than it’s worth usually. Not to mention the thoughts around the risk that its transom, stringers and floor being rotten too.
Always love to see guys bring boats like this back to health…but that would depend on talent, commitment and time for sure. Best of luck with her. Love to see you get her back running. Allan.
Just saw the gearbox is sitting in the boat. Would all depend if that engine is healthy or not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----The shift rod cover is missing.----Water pump housing is loose.--Likely the gear box has had water / rain in it.-----Not likely worth salvaging.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor looks to be late 1970's (1977 ) ----Is there a model # on it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Tear it all apart.
Inventory all parts by year, model, and part number.
List each part on ebay, pay your fees.
Then sit back and wait for 18 months for someone to contact you and offer you $50 for everything.

Honestly, not worth your time unless you can sell it locally to someone that needs a specific part.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Clean it out. dig a hole as deep as the waterline, set boat in there. Kids playhouse! First salvage what you can. Sell the trailer.
oooh...... a fish pond.
full

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Even if it isn’t, I still have 2 more outboards I could use on it.
not sure that is a smart plan. in post 1 you state its been sitting outside for a long time and has rotten floor, stringers, etc. so if you really want to dump $5000 and 1.5 years of your life into a boat hull you can sell for $500 to $1500, have at it. if it was me, I would strip what I could sell, cut up the rest and find a boat in much better shape to put your outboards on.

ahicks

Captain
I would ask, what do you want to do with it? If the intent is to make a buck or 2, then sell it for parts. If you absolutely love the look of the boat, and think there's a place in your life for something like it for a period of at least several years from the time it's restored, THEN maybe consider fixing it.

If you think you're going to buy a trailer for it, give it a bath, get it running, then sell it at a big profit? Pinch yourself. You're dreaming.....

That boat is going to need some serious love before it's ever going to float again. 99.999% of the time YOU are going to have to provide that love, as you won't be able to afford what it's going to take to put that boat back into shape by having somebody do it for you.

Last, without trying to be too discouraging, projects like that boat are often started with high hopes, but when the reality of just what is going to be required to finish sets in, the project is abandoned, often at great loss financially. That money will never be recovered.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed-----Doing a boat myself.-----Project on hold right now due to outside weather.-----But on a 17' boat the West System epoxy will total near $1500.---Then there is carbon fiber , kevlar and fiberglass materials.-------Never mind the hrs of cutting and fitting stuff.---Doing it because I want to.-------That 1977 ( ? ) model 175 HP motor will likely need thousands of $ before a return to service.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Agreed-----Doing a boat myself.-----Project on hold right now due to outside weather.-----But on a 17' boat the West System epoxy will total near $1500.---Then there is carbon fiber , kevlar and fiberglass materials.-------Never mind the hrs of cutting and fitting stuff.---Doing it because I want to.-------That 1977 ( ? ) model 175 HP motor will likely need thousands of $ before a return to service.
Me to. It's an expensive project.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_092816254.jpg
    IMG_20200412_092816254.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • WIN_20170425_06_27_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170425_06_27_42_Pro.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 7

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The guy giving you the boat is a genius. When he found out how much it was going to cost to dispose of it, he started looking for someone to pay the expense for him.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Looking for honest opinions on what to do with this thing. It’s free, with title. And my cousin gave me a trailer for it. But, the floor is rotten and the front fiberglass deck is busted, so my thoughts are to part it out, scrap the hull, and rent the trailer out. Does anyone see any parts here that are desirable? I have a bass boat im working on, so I’m thinking I could use some parts there. I’ve already taken the seats and fish finder. Got a pretty nice shorelandr trailer too.View attachment 354558View attachment 354559View attachment 354560View attachment 354561View attachment 354562
Best move leave it where u found it