What resin for transom reinforcment???

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 23 ft Glaspy that I plan to bracket with an A and J Marine single engine flotation pod with 72 in swim step. I plan to change a 200 HP outboard off the back. I know I have alot to do to support the transom. What type of resin should I use to plug the outdrive hole. I read I should any exposed wood with penetrating epoxy. I am going to plug the hole then add 1 inch to the inside of the transom. Then add a few gussets down the sides and sheer ties at the base of transom to each stringers and add two nees in the middle to the main center stringers. Overkill probably but want to babe an option later to up the HP if I feel the need. I know that epoxy resin can adhere to polyester but not the other way around so I'm concerned about using penetrating epoxy on the wood of original transom

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i'm no expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt....i'd use polyester because it stays somewhat tacky between layers and makes a chemical bond. i know epoxy is stronger but the main strength comes from the glass not the resin.Sand the outdrive hole in on a slant (bevel) so that each layer used to fill in is a little larger in area then the one before so it will have something to hold onto. Also don't use just thickened resin or csm mat as it has little strength. Use either 1708 cloth or roving woven cloth extending out onto the beveled sanded area for good strength.