What reason causes the water leaking into gimbal bearing house?

Scott06

Admiral
It needs to be really glued in place with some 3M or similar adhesive. Leave it set for some time. Use a new gasket and water passage “O“ ring.
Support the drive so that you do not have to hold it up to install it. Without support you run the risk of dragging the large seal ring into the bellows and water will again enter it.
Yep needs to be glued firm in place contact cement or bellows adhesive let it set up over night

Scott06

Admiral
My old Sea Ray was a wet deck boat and I'd get lots of spray. Spray would leak down between motor hatches and transom. I even had it short out a coil. I added a shield to eliminate the short and then noticed how gravity made the spray drip on coupler shaft. I pulled OD and could see daylight around old seal. No seal lip tension at all.
there should be a U channel under the compartment seams. This is also what the flame arrestor cover is for keeps water off the flame arrestor and ignition componets

Scott06

Admiral
What kind of glue do you suggest? Could you please give me a link or pict? Thank you
Please google bellows adhesive or contact cement like I would have to give u a photo. U replaced your bellows it’s the adhesive I used for it

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of glue do you suggest? Could you please give me a link or pict? Thank you

Please google bellows adhesive or contact cement like I would have to give u a photo. U replaced your bellows it’s the adhesive I used for it
I still have some. which side should I glue with it? engine side or outdrive side?

Attachments

• 17217787121733805837501405451362.jpg
    17217787121733805837501405451362.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, The small O ring and gasket are shot. I presume you'll be replacing them both.
Definitely glue them in place before you assemble the outdrive. I use any decent sticky glue, gasket seal or bellows adhesive.
I have the same outdrive. Merc A1G1. I'm eventually gonna have to do all my bellows, should be fun. 🥴

Screenshot_20240723_200609_Gallery.jpg

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
there should be a U channel under the compartment seams. This is also what the flame arrestor cover is for keeps water off the flame arrestor and ignition componets
There was, but the sea spray overwhelmed it, including coil/TB4. Too small... Flame arrestor was protected by a larger aluminum U channel and was not overwhelmed. After I shielded coil/TB4 with small plastic tarp, I never had ignition/water related problem. After I pulled OD for yearly maintenance, I noticed defective seal.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
There should be one small hole on the gimbal bearing and the hole should be put at the bottom while it is mounted, then any water leaking into the bell house can leak into boat through the hole and the outdrive can be protected. I did find there is a small hole on the gimbal bearing. Is my understanding correct?

Last edited:

Scott06

Admiral
There should be one small hole on the gimbal bearing and the hole should be put at the bottom while it is mounted, then any water leaking into the bell house can leak into boat through the hole and the outdrive can be protected. I did find there is a small hole on the gimbal bearing. Is my understanding correct?
No, while there is a drain so that water can drain from bellows there should be NO water in bellows it will ruin the gimbal bearing, u joints and input shaft seal on drive