What paint to roll on???

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just want to roll on a cheap paint onto topside...not interlux, but maybe something I can pick up locally. Anyone have good luck with a paint like Rustoleum...and can I roll and tip it??? Thanks..

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: What paint to roll on???

I'm currently, for the past two days, been useing Rust-Oleum Topside and it is really doing nice. I've done the top of the bow and gunwhales with the first coat after wet sanding. Tomorrow I'll start wet sanding the cudy cabin. You'll have to do at least two coats and sand between coats. Dries to the touch in about 3 hours and can be wet sanded after 8 hours. My final coat will be wet sanded and then buffed out to a high shine. So far I recommend this paint. The paint really goes a "long way" and was purchased at Low's for $11.00 a quart. Ron

S6001109.jpg

S6001108.jpg

redfury

Commander

I'll second the rustoleum Marine paint. You can roll it on with a simple white closed cell "fine" foam roller. Make sure you don't try to put one heavy coat on, or you'll see the edges of the roller in the finish as lines of thickness...that was my mistake when I did my topper with the stuff. I'm still happy with the end result though!

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

The foam rollers are great. Couldn't find them at the chain stores though.

Great pictures !

Enjoy

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've had great results with rustoleum.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

When you guys talk about Rustoleum, is it the standard stuff or is it a special product line for marine use?

LX Kid

Ensign

The paint is called Marine Topside by Rust-Oleum. The color that I'm using is called "Oyster White" and for me is really appealing on my older Grady White. I'm using the 4" closed foam roller, which paint and rollers came from Lowe's. For inside the aft portion, I mixed a can of White and Oyster white. Yesterday I painted the engine cowlings and they came out pretty nice as well. Hard to tell the suttle differance between the gunwhales and engine cowlings but really looks good. Ron

S6001111.jpg

S6001110.jpg

S6001112.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

When you guys talk about Rustoleum, is it the standard stuff or is it a special product line for marine use?

there is both woodcrafter, TD use just the regular stuff , and LX Kid used the topside !! I havent looked yet but i think I am going for the topside rustoleum !! If i can find it here if not i am going with the regular !! John

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen the Rustoleum Marine paint at Menards.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OKAY...can't find this paint in georgia ANYWHERE!!!! UGGHHHH...what now? is there a second as good option that rustoleum makes???

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You could always use regular rustoleum. Can't say from personal experience but I know TD has posted having good results with regular rustoleum.

DaveHawkins

Seaman

OKAY...can't find this paint in georgia ANYWHERE!!!! UGGHHHH...what now? is there a second as good option that rustoleum makes???

Have you tried Ace and TruValue hardware stores? I have found it at a couple of Lowes stores also.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

our Lowes carrys it. for cheap paint it does a good job...

kory77

Cadet

hi im a painter by profession for 14 years. whichever paint you use,pick up a product called 'Penetrol' you can find it at any paint store such as sherwin williams. you add it to oil based paints and it will give you a smoother finish. it gives the paint working time and helps it level out to hide any brush strokes. it will not affect any of the properties or color of the paint. great product.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

What type of roller and brush did you use? Just visited Lowe's and Sherwin-Williams store, only to find a bunch of nose-pickers...all they knew about foam rollers was "big or little?" Ugh. Can you get the closed-cell foam rollers in regular stores?

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: penetrol???

Re: penetrol???

when using penetrol with oil based paint, does it tend to make it run more when paiting hull sides and other verticle surfaces?