What model Mirrocraft do I have?

mirrocraft16

Seaman Apprentice
I was heading back from fishing the other day and passed by a rather large/wide Mirrocraft boat for sale. After talking to the owner I made a deal and it followed me home.
Its been repainted a few times, and the transom plate is badly weathered. The only thing I can make out on the transom plate is 55hp Max rating. The rest is rubbed away by the fuel hose.
Its a 1979, both the title and HIN agree with the year, its got plastic MirroCraft plates on both sides.
The total length is 16' 4",
The maximum beam width is 78"
and the total gunwale length is 17' 1", (205")
I found a few brochures online but none for my exact year. A buddy has two Mirrocraft 16' models, both are either deeper, or narrower than mine, his are a 1979 Deep Fisherman-(64" wide), the other a 1981 Lake Fisherman - (74" wide).
Mine has a factory side console, and is slightly deeper than my buddies Lake Fisherman. Mine and both of his are built basically the same, same style gunwales, etc.
Both of his have oar lock brackets, mine does not, and doesn't appear to have ever had them.

Attachments

• 199in 78w.JPG
    199in 78w.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mirrocraft16

Seaman Apprentice
I had emailed MC and was told that the boat is from St Cloud and made in 1979 but got no other info.
There used to be a dealer about an hour north of here but they didn't last.
Their dealer locator doesn't even list a dealer in NJ at all, the closest dealer is 150+ miles from here.
I searched for a long time to find a larger 16' boat like this, so I'm more than happy to have it. I have yet to find another make or model this size in a 16' open boat like this. My guess is they were built for the Great Lakes region more than running the back bays here but its the perfect boat for the way I fish.

I don't see much info on Mirrocraft in general online, I found one older catalog from 1975, then another from the mid 80's, both are similar but not identical to mine.
The boat is replacing a same year Starcraft 16SF which was a good boat but the MC has nearly double the room and far more stability due to its width.

mirrocraft16

Seaman Apprentice
I emailed the website and got back a copy of the 1979 Catalog with specs, but mine doesn't match any of the models in that catalog?
Apparently the HIN doesn't denote any specific model, but it does say mine is a 1979 model. The last four of the HIN are M79B.
Side by side with a known Lake Fisherman model mine is 4" longer and wider and a bit deeper. Even the bench seat assemblies are wider.

The Lake Fisherman model I'm comparing to is a dead on match to the 1979 catalog specs.
There is also a rated hp difference, 40hp on my buddies Lake Fisherman vs. 55hp on my boat.

The fact that mine still uses the older Plastic emblems tells me its not a newer boat with an older HIN plate, and my buddies boat, which is titled and numbered as a 1981, uses decals versus the name plate on the side.