What material of anode to use ......

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 26, 2000
Messages
389
Have an Alpha One Gen II , using in freshwater only. Do I have this right ? Aluminum in Freshwater, Magnesium in Freshwater with S.S prop, and Zinc in Salt/Brackish water ?....
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: What material of anode to use ......

Nope, you don't have it right.

Zinc= Never
Aluminum = Salt or Brackish water.......
Magnesium = Fresh water---- Aluminum will also work.

According to Merc service bulletins, many aftermarket aluminum anodes are not pure enough in the alloy to work properly...... But what do they know? ? ? ? ?
 

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 26, 2000
Messages
389
Re: What material of anode to use ......

Are these people wrong then ? I bought from them before, can't remember what material, but I had some galvanic corrosion on the drive so I won't now if you say they are wrong.......
http://www.boatzincs.com/mercruiser.html
 

tommays

Admiral
Joined
Jul 4, 2004
Messages
6,768
Re: What material of anode to use ......

It is a claim BUT how do you know if its really a pure material ?

Tommays
 
Top