what kind of staple gun?

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just started working on the upolstry!
I am starting on the little stuff to learn
The pads on the bow that go arround the edge are plastic
what kind of staple gun/staples do i use
I have a T-50 with stanless that works fine on the wood but i cant get them in the plastic?
also what are the little plastic brackets called that that hold them to the boat...i rember seeing a thread about them but unable to find

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: what kind of staple gun?

I bought this one for my upholstery (Check out my thread to see the results) at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks. Works Great.
Not sure what brackets you are referring to???? Got any pics of the old ones??

image_10207.jpg

rickryder

Commander

I bought this one for my upholstery (Check out my thread to see the results) at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks. Works Great.
Not sure what brackets you are referring to???? Got any pics of the old ones??

image_10207.jpg

Is that a crown stapler Wood? Did you find SS staples for that??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep Crown staples and will use standard Crown Staples. Did not use Stanless staples. My boat is 50 years old and they did not use stainless staples and they were still there and viable. I figure I'll be dead and gone before these staples wear out so the expense of SS ones did not seem to be worth it to me. But... I would assume if you can find em for a Swingline they will work in this gun. I was using a Stanley electric and got PO'd and went and bought this. WOW big difference. I LOVE it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had purchased an arrow electric gun at HD and works great...... it will do brads too. Powerful enough that my son has done a few VW camper tops with out any problem

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had purchased an arrow electric gun at HD and works great...... it will do brads too. Powerful enough that my son has done a few VW camper tops with out any problem

Yours must be better than my old one Bob, cause it wont even seat staples in unsealed wood. I hate that thing and am going to get a pneumatic one myself. Going to HF tomorrow to get some stuff anyway.

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a porter cable unit; costs more than the HF but can't give a comparison. I do like mine, is able to easily countersink the cross section of the staple into hardwood... It's their regular 'upholstery stapler'..:)

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

I use a wide crown 1/2" from HF and Monel staples. Monel is far superior to stainless.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

While Monel is rust proof and Stainless are just rust resistant, be aware that Monel is much softer. You will bend more Monel staples. It takes a little more care and a better gun to install Monel. If you try to use them with a regular hand gun or a cheap electric one you will get frustrated with them.

rickryder

Commander

I think a Bostich pneumatic crown stapler is anything but cheep :)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

10-4, you're not going to touch it for less than $120.00 - $150.00, no where near $20.00 for sure.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

While Monel is rust proof and Stainless are just rust resistant, be aware that Monel is much softer. You will bend more Monel staples. It takes a little more care and a better gun to install Monel. If you try to use them with a regular hand gun or a cheap electric one you will get frustrated with them.
I shot over 12,000 staples putting in a interior kit in my B-I-Ls 1973 Coronado. I found the reverse to be true. stainless would just bend in the old wood. Everything that is cream vinyl was dark brown when she was new.
38987_1350159716488_1306202166_30862134_5370638_n.jpg59441_1389286614636_1306202166_30955520_459988_n.jpg39753_417582615204_509480204_4903352_8024796_n.jpgsunny-bar2.jpg

Attachments

• sunny-bar.jpg
    sunny-bar.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

My post was a response to the OP. Just stating my personal experience and what I have seen others post as well. Google it. It's no great secret that Monel is softer than stainless. There is no shortage of posts from people using a cheap gun and bending Monel staples. Go read my entire original post. I never said that Bostich gun was cheap. What I did say was you need a good gun to shoot Monel. If you did not have issues with Monel bending then you more than likely were NOT using a manual or electric gun.

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMAG0170.jpgIMAG0168.jpgIMAG0173.jpgI used an arrow yellow older style eletric stapler with the 21 dollars a box monel staples for my coaming bolsters and I used pressure treated wood and it work great.You do have to push the stapler into the vinyl so they didnt bend but once I got the hang of it it went fine