What kind of fuel filter?

notop

Seaman Apprentice
(Force 125 owner here, though that probably doesn't matter for this post):

I have seen it recommended by highly respected posters to put a filter between the fuel pump and the carbs. Sounds like a good idea to me. My question is, what kind of filter? Are we talking about a cheap in-line paper filter with a clear plastic housing, or would a more expensive brass filter in a metal housing (like the old GM pickups used to run) be better? Would a plastic housing stand up to the vibration (I'm assuming you would ty-wrap it to something solid on the engine block, no?). On the other hand, I run 50% of the time in salt water, so I'm a bit worried about the metal housing corroding.

Specific recommendations and/or a brief how-to greatly appreciated.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What kind of fuel filter?

I recomend using a glass fuel filter with replaceable elements. I believe attwood makes them and you find them at wally world. I use these because 1-they are very corrosion resistant, 2-replaceable filter elements, and 3-with the clear glass you can actually see how well your fuel pumps are pumping and also see the condition of your fuel. I install it under the cowling in a horizontal position and zip-tie it to keep it from bouncing around. Been using them for years and have never had one break on me.

red

robert graham

Admiral

Install a Walmart/Attwood fuel water separator($27), on your transom, easy 2 screw installation, works like a charm to remove water, dirt, whatever, from fuel before it reaches motor, pump, carbs, etc. Good Luck!

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone has their preference but I have a simple, cheap inline filter that simply inserts between the pump and carb in the fuel line.

It's really just a last line of defense against debris coming from a deteriorating pump diaphragm.

I have a more expensive clear bowl filter just before the fuel pump so I can see the gas and any air bubbles.

Just don't have any more than 2 filters in the system otherwise you run the risk of having it too restricted.