What is the weirdest thing you have ever caught fishing?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is the weirdest thing you have ever caught fishing?

I caught a big ole' dead sewer rat in the milwaukee harbor ........man that thing came up and boy did it smell.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was on a head boat a few year back in the bay in Ocean City, MD. A guy started putting up a heck of a fight with something ... as it got closer, it was a tuna which seemed odd ... turns out it was a dead tuna that he snagged that must have drifted in. There were two sharks chasing after it though. :)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

1. My brother caught me with a plastic frog. Hooked me in the back of the head when we were kids.<br /><br />2. My best friend caught me with a Zara Spook. Same place.<br /><br />3. I caught a pelican off the jetty in Sebastian Inlet, FL while fishing with a Wind Cheater. Good fight too!<br /><br />4. Also at Sebastian, I watched an elderly lady TRY to fight a manatee that was on its way out to sea. She kept insisting it was a big snook & she was gonna bring it in until her husband tightened up the drag on her. Boink...no more manatee!

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a kid back in Kentucky, caught the nose of my dad's friend. One summer, wading in Lake Okechobee, fishing for pan fish with a fly rod, caught a 5lb. Snook.

Skinnywater

Commander

A 4 foot Moray Eel can liven up the party in a 12ft johnboat.

one more cast

Captain

once while trying my hand at fly fishing after not doing it for quite a few years I caught my forearm. Buried the hook so deep I had to cut the line and go get pliers to pull it out.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

54 inh musky - threw it back!<br /><br />We were fishing for salmon in lake ontario but it was too stormy to go in the main lake, so we fished little souda bay for 8 hours with NOTHING..<br /><br />We are at our wits end - dad and my brother and I were starting to get on each others nerves, after trolling all day with nothing!!<br /><br />So we finally get a trip on the down rigger when we reel it in its this HUGE musky.<br /><br />Well were so pissed that it was NOT a salmon we just threw it back!!<br /><br />At dinner that night we realized that some guys fish all their lives for a fish like that!<br /><br />At the time we did not have a camera so there is no "proof" that ever caught the fish.<br /><br />live and learn

I've caught an old car one time, but you know that one didn't come up. While draining the lake they found over 10,000 broken off lines on this old waterlogged lincoln

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Caught a 4' alligator on okachobee when I was about 12 on a top water plug. After fighting for about 20 minutes got it to the bank where my grandad preceded to grab it by the tail. He got it flipped on back started rubbing belly then reached up around mouth and worked his plug loose. After about 10 minutes of scolding I promised not to try and hit anymore gators with his plugs.<br />Ambasadore 5000c on rod with about 10 lb. striper still on line at Santee - Cooper.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by FSHKPR:<br /> my old anchor that i lost 3 or 4 years earlier. it was pretty wierd. also caught a seagull once your right a heck of a fight!
Hey FSHKPR:<br />Not a fish story but a weird one along the same lines...<br /><br />When my son was 3 or 4 we were coming in from the car from a birthday party and his mylar helium balloon got away in the wind. We watched as it climbed up & out of sight, headed south. I had a heckuva time explaining to him that we'd never see it again and he cried and was heartbroken. I couldn't believe it when the next day I looked out the dining room window, and there it was sitting in the yard slightly deflated with the ribbon wrapped around a fallen branch anchoring it down.<br /><br />One time I was glad to be wrong!

ebbtide176

Commander

last fall or this spring i thought i lost my cell ph while fishing deep by the dam for walleyes. i had grabbed the net for a fish, and heard the 'kerplunk' and my cell ph was missing. i was PO'd and about ready to go back to camp and have a brew, but my bud said lets go try the marina again. things picked up, we both caught some walleye, and i shrugged off the loss, since the fish were biting :) <br /><br />we went back (1/2mi) to the dam and he was getting bites left & right - me getting nothing. i thought there was a dam hex or something on me :D <br /><br />he musta felt sympathy, cause he hangs another one, and say's 'here, you reel this one up, since you ain't catching any and we both get more for dinner' so i halfheartedly take the rod and say 'man this thing ain't fighting at all'... he say's 'oh they don't fight much sometimes'. i get it up and see its the special SS pliers with blue rope-wrapped handles i keep in the boat! i didn't even realize they'd been missing. i also found my cell ph after some digging around. this spot was in 60ft of water :D