What is the problem with Bayliner?

c11yll

Cadet
Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

Isn't it funny how makofanatic was the first to start replying with letters in UPPER CASE. Didn't like some of the responses you got? By the way, no one cares how many boats you've sold!

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Makofanatic,<br /><br />Once again, the reputation of salesmen has been degraded. YOU, and countless others like you, are the reason that salesmen are looked down upon. <br />I know about this because I was a salesman. I didn't do retail though, as you do. I was a business to business salesman. <br /><br />PLEASE try to maintain some professionalism. PLEASE try to remain courteous. <br />PLEASE try to stop embarassing me and all other salesmen who are professionals. <br /><br />After this stint in the Navy, I plan on going back to being a salesman. It would be nice to have an improved reputation for salesmen, not a worse one than when I went in.<br /><br />Remember, you ASKED for all this.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Jason

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

has anyone noticed that the "counselor" owns<br />a Mako and not a Bayliner? if he really believes<br />in them, he would own one I think... :confused:

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Arrrgh this thread is like Night of the Living Dead. It was two months dead and buried when it was recently revived. Please allow it to return to the grave and rest in peace. :mad: :mad: :mad:

meant2be

Seaman

Well, here goes the beating of a dead horse. I actually knew the reputation of Bayliner and still bought one as my "first boat". 1993 17' Classic. When I was looking to buy my first car I didn't look at the caddys at all. I figured I needed to get around and get a little experience before going to the luxury dealers.<br />I wanted an inexpensive way to break into boating and not have a heart attack when something goes wrong because of my newbie ignorance. I bought it because of the price and it meets my needs - family outting, skiing, tubing etc. I don't know how many times I have seen people lay out the cash on their first boat for the "prestige" and find out it was not exactly what they wanted or even worse "it was a phase". <br />Since I didn't leap before I looked, I will have a paid for boat in 1 year and can sell it for about the same as I purchased it for. ($3,200 w/70hp and trailer). <br />I have only had it one summer and am already thinking about selling or trading up to one with a cabin unit. It will also be a Bayliner, because of the price. I guess when I have a few barnacles on me I will be ready to jump in the future, but for now I would like to get my bearings without blowing out my wallet. ;)

11 footer

Lieutenant

I have never had a bayliner and I never will have a bayliner, same go's to force outboards.<br />I have heard to many bad things about them.<br /><br />11

hi-tech redneck

Recruit

Makofanatic, Hello <br />You want to know what is wrong with Bayliner<br />you should go to one of their plants and check out that outstanding craftsmanship and you will understand.<br />Now for the facts i know i happen to have two guys that lost there jobs when the plants closed in our area they work for me on equipment installation they are two outstanding workers and we have had many laughs about bayliner boats the problem appears to be supervision the main objective produce as many boats as possible if you can't see imperfections just caulk it let it go if the hatches were stuck send it on down if the boat was dropped patch it let it go also<br />the starter wire post was so brittle if you breathed on it it would ring off so they were instructed to put on the nut finger tight also look at a boat in the outdrive system where it should be wood it is caulk .<br />One of these guys were motor installers 1 hour to install motor and wiring harness Come on !!!<br />Plus they also commented on sorry workers cutting corners also.<br /><br />The irony to this is do you really want to know who purchased these plants and are now building boats with the sorry suppervisors and a lot of sorry, sorry workers that were building Bayliners.<br />Oh i'll go ahead and tell you SEARAY,RYOBI :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Somebody did alot of reading to pull this one up! Where is Mako, I tried to check his posts and the last I have seen one was in July. <br /><br />Hey Trollhole Sir, Do you think JB has a key and lock for this dead horse thread?

schemer

Recruit

like the guy said in the reply where he fished commercially I drive the big trucks also and I always say i think its the driver bayliners well I had a 1999 Trophy and it sure was smooth another guy bought it said it was his dream boat so its the driver

oscarman

Recruit

happy bayliner owner from the west coast. I dont have any experience with the little boats but I bought a used 1989 3288 motor yacht, had it for 5 years, absolutely no problems and sold it for $5000 less than I paid for it. I then bought a new 1999 3988 with cummins diesels and all top line equipment. I now have 500 hours on it. The only problem I have had was the powder coating on the windows corroded. Bayliner admitted they had a problem with this and repaired all the windows at their cost ($5000.00) two years out of warrantee. I could now sell this boat in a flash for what I paid for it 4 years ago. I have looked at the new 4100 Meridian, the improvements in it are impressive. The only problem is the price has gone way up there.

Marc411

Recruit

I slip in a harbor on Lake Michigan with 500 other boats and I think everyone is a little confused. 5 new boats entered my harbor in 2002, two Sea Rays and two Four Winns, 1 Bayliner, which is mine. All 5 boats had some problems with the 29 foot Four Winns and the same size Sea Ray having the worst problems out of the bunch. The Four Winns was so bad that it did not move out of its slip all season and the Sea Rays berth was completely unusable and had finish and engine problems. Regardless of make or model ALL boat models have problems and I have seen them all first hand in our harbor. I have seen many boats in tow that we not Bays and I have seen many boats that we not bays that were so run down I wouldn’t stand on them in the Harbor. Most of you have never been on one nor taken a close look at the newer models construction. I have been boating for more years then I would care to admit and owned several different boats by different makers, all have hidden unfinished areas and quality issues because there are zero standards in the industry. <br /><br />The bottom line is a boat is only as good as its owner. If you run the boat hard in rough seas, don’t maintain it properly its not going to last for any extended period of time. <br /><br />I have a 2655 and before that a 2252, both Ciera models, and both used for fishing. I run out 12 to 20 miles and have been in 4 to 6 footers in both and the boats have preformed excellently. <br /><br />Read the forums a little more closely folks because I see problems with all makes regardless of the price point, here is a good example from BoatUS.<br /><br />o 2002 Sea Ray 29' Amberjack (SERR2238J102):<br />10/25/02 Stbd gas tank vent is blocked, can't fill tank easily. Boat lists to stbd when moored & when on plane, trim tabs don't really help. Livewell leaks, cabin floor separated from stringers, windlass doesn't work properly. Discovered leaks, seemed to be from risers, so new seals were installed. Water still collects under generator compartment. When boat was hauled to inspect further, found water leaking around stbd exhaust: hull is cracked adjacent to exhaust port. Arrangements were made for Sea Ray & technicians to inspect boat w/ owner, but they never showed up on time or showed up when owner wasn't expected to be present. Owner wants firm commitment from Sea Ray that boat will be repaired or complaint otherwise resolved.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why can't this topic just die and go away? Whether or not somone likes a Bayliner or not is their personal preference. That's why we have so many choices...<br /><br />You can only beat a dead horse for so long. <br /><br />Please someone (other than me) have the sense to not respond to this thread....

coupedeville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very innerestin'. :p <br />As long as everybody else is doing it, I might as well add my VFO to the discussion.<br />Bayliners are inexpensive boats. If you want better materials and such, you'll have to buy a more expensive boat.<br />What's better? A Chevy Cavalier or a BMW 740? The Bimmer is. It also costs 5 times as much as the Cavalier. Does that make the Cavalier junk? No.<br />Not everyone can afford expensive boats [cars, houses, etc.]. Does that mean they should stay home? Should the government set a standard: Unless you have X amount of dollars, you can't own a boat?<br />Are they as well maintained as more expensive boats? Probably not. People on a budget have to watch their dollars. It's not always the wisest thing, but it's reality.<br />A buddy of mine [whose sole vessel was a 14' aluminum fishing boat] used to rag on Bayliners all the time. I finally asked him "Would you rather be out on the lake in a Bayliner, or standing on the dock and complaining about them?" <br />That shut him up. :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Excellent reply Coupedeville,,<br /><br />If everyone had boats that didn't break down, never needed anything, then there would be dealers without a service department. Mechanics would be a thing of the past.<br /><br />I say Amen to the cheaper line of boats that keep the service industry alive. If it wasn't for them, there would be alot more people on the banks than oweing the banks.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plus we wouldn't have near as much traffic on this fine forum :D

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let's start a NEW post. "What's good about Bayliner?" I'll bet you get no replies! Is this the last WORD? :p :rolleyes:

91formula

Seaman

Let me tell you my story about bayliner, had a 1992/1800 Bayliner with a 120 HP Force, brought new in North Dakota, transferred to Delaware in 1995, after arriving in Delaware was putting it up for the winter and noticed what looked like a large dent on the left front side of the boat, about 2 feet long and pushed in about 6 inches. I immediately called bayliner to let them know what happened, they noted it on my hull number, but unforuntely I was going to korea for 1 year, after I came back from Korea I called bayliner again and after 10 minutes on the phone they had me take it to the local bayliner dealer, the manager at the dealship said he would look at it, after arrival at the dealership the manager said that it was a hull defect and they would have to replace the complete lower half of the boat, I said fine just let me know when I can pick it up, well 2 days later I got a call from the manager saying that they couldn't fix it, If you could have heard my heart come out of my chest after he said that, he stated I got good news and bad news, 1, I can't fix you boat (bad news), good news, they gave me a completely new 1996 1800 Bayliner, minus my engine and trailer, but I was surprised, thought I was gonna get the run around, I didn't pay for anything no even putting on my engine to the new boat,and got a free boat, sure I think bayliner could be better but the warranty was outstanding, I keep reading these posts about members gettting screwed on warranties, well I can say bayliner did me right, I would sure buy another one, my 2 cents!!!!!!!!

dansoph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we've been boating a long time. but when it came time to buy a NEW boat we were limited by $$$. so it came down to bliner or sunbird. we went with the sunbird only because of bayliners rep. as luck would have it, as soon as we bought sunbird they went out of buisness!of course the dealer didn,t tell us this was going to happen.anyway youget what you pay for.by the way the sunbird is working great as a ski/tubing boat.