What is fogging?

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I trying to get my ducks in a row for this winter and have a question. (First winter with my boat) I have done some searches and found some great information on storring my outboard, but many of the post mention "fogging" the motor. What does this mean? Thanks in advance.

bassman284

Commander
Re: What is fogging?

Do a search on fogging. There are a couple of threads there that will give you a pretty reasonable howto with several alternatives.

CaptainSkip

Seaman Apprentice

Fogging protects the engine's internal parts from corrosion by running oil through the carb while the engines running. It creates a lot of white smoke then either stalls or almost stalls. Do this last then your ready to fire it up in the spring.

robert graham

Admiral

In a 2 stroke motor all those shiny, smooth roller bearings, ball bearings and crankshaft journal surfaces are just sitting in there, exposed to moisture and possible corrosion especially during the off-season of several months. The oil injection and premix oiling systems on these run a fairly weak or lean amount of oil in the gas, so when you shut the motor down it may have very little oil film on these surfaces. So you fog each intake with the fogging oil with corrosion inhibitors to coat and protect the internals. It's very easy and very cheap insurance. Good Luck!