What gift will you give Chucky and Camilla?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: What gift will you give Chucky and Camilla?

When someone "karks it" they are dead. Its slang but I'd get poofed if I explained its origins. <br /><br />In relation to the 'Phar Lap museum' statement, he was stuffed and is now on display (in Melbourne!). <br /><br />Aldo

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are certainly entitled to your complaint, Tink, but heaping scorn and ridicule on your much maligned Prince of Wales over irrelevant issues lowers you to the level of scandalsheet or gossip.<br /><br />Whatever you may think of their looks, they have loved each other through some very serious storms for many years and find one another beautiful. Like his great uncle he has stuck to his preference.<br /><br />Should they have issue, that child would be about fifth or sixth in succession, after Diana's sons, Anne, Andrew and other relatives, and would probably be disqualified altogether. At their ages it is very unlikely that they could have a child at all.<br /><br />It wouldn't take much review of the history of the Windsors and Mountbattens (Battenbergs) to find that Charles is cut of the cloth of several crowned heads of Europe and England and not, by far, the worst of them.<br /><br />Yes, KIS, it is a favorite pastime to ridicule the rich and famous. I Find it a repulsive and offensive display of human cruelty.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

JB, I dont think anyone is serious, just taking jabs at useless figureheads.<br /><br />I would also be pretty brutal to any useless figurehead that sponges off the taxpayers, and made thier riches off their parents who in turn made their riches from taxes from peasants.<br /><br />I also question their charity work. Are you certain they do it cause they like it, or do they do it cause it keeps them good with the peasants?<br /><br />My wife is Thai, and they have a king, and he does a lot of good things, and the wife loves him, but he is just another useless figurehead. The amazing thing is that, if I was typing this in Thailand, I could be jailed for saying such things.<br /><br />Tink, I seem to remember yall had a vote to end alliance with the monarchy. What happened to that?<br /><br />Ken

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I'll tell you what we did Ken. <br />We had this real big vote, and tossed the Replublic-system-supporters OUT. <br />Monarchists reigned supreme - what a vote, we slaughtered them.<br />I am not a real strong monarchist, but the alternative model the republic movement put forward was B/S. So all us forward thinking people up here in the Banana Bender State, decided the Queen was the horse to back.<br />I feel the Monarchy as a head of State has some benefits, especially when you have some one as good as the current Queen. She is a very wise woman. Not sure who in that family is capable of filling her shoes. Princess Anne seems the only capable one, but that is not an option.<br />As for Charles. Well he is a bit strange, and I don't particularly have much time for him, but i do give him credit for his sporting achievements - Polo. That is one tough and nasty game, and he remained as one of the worlds better players for many years.<br />No one has raised the subject of his sister, Princess Anne. Correct me if I am wrong, but was she not selected as a 3 day Eventer for the Olympics, to miss when her horse was injured.I would also mention, she rode the Grand National as a middle aged lady, and that has to be one mongrel of a race.<br />Not sure what can be said about the other 2 sibblings tho. Probably very little.<br />I will support a Republic when it betters the system we have, and i would like to see that in my lifetime.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> ... decided the Queen was the horse to back.<br />Phillip
Mate, given the way this thread has gone, couldn't you have used another phrase? :D <br /><br />I'm a bit suspicious about the Phillip signature and Kiwi Phil moniker. You wouldn't be HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, commonly known as Phil the Greek, trying to avoid suspicion by adding another "l", would you? :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Her Royal Highness (Lizzy) may be intelligent and wise but what exactly does she do?<br /><br />Hi, Phil, long time no see :) <br /><br />Aldo

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Her Royal Highness (Lizzy) may be intelligent and wise but what exactly does she do?<br /><br />Aldo
What she does in unimportant.<br /><br />What matters is that she exists.<br /><br />This is about tradition and style and intangibles. <br /><br />What would happen to the monarchy if it was subjected to endless performance assessments like the peasants who work for a living?

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Yep!!!Class Of '46.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Thanks Aldo - I've been here, just reading when I can. Been flat out trying to keep ahead of the drought - it's crippling the nursery.<br />Tinkerer - Father (mine) named me after Prince Philip. Admired something he did on his Destroyer in the Med in early 40's. <br />I like the idea of the Monarchy. Tradition is important. Change for the sake of it is not.<br />When I was in the 'Mob' were swore an oath to the Queen. Then the general opinion was one of pride, and we didn't give a toss what the politians did or said. Sort of speration of powers I suppose.<br />All our Corps were "Royal".<br />As for the aristocrats - you will never find a bigger bunch of social misfits.<br />Tradition - I like it, probably because I like the pomp and glory - good history.<br />It does worry me who will follow Lizzy tho.<br />Back in '71 small group of us met HRH Prince Philip and Lord Mountbatten for maybe 10 minutes.<br />Believe me, they were 2 impressive men. Recall them as very tall, big bushy eyebrows, and very affirmative. Couldn't stop thinking about what Mountbatten did in the War and then in India.<br />As for Charles and Camilla. They should have been let to marry back when they were kids. I have just finished reading about "first wives" a few posts back, so guess where Charles has been is the same place as most of us. I recall some of the sheilas I see around Brisbane, and she's a bl**dy improvement on most of them. :D <br />Good luck to them.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> I like the idea of the Monarchy. Tradition is important. Change for the sake of it is not.<br />When I was in the 'Mob' were swore an oath to the Queen. Then the general opinion was one of pride, and we didn't give a toss what the politians did or said. Sort of speration of powers I suppose.<br />All our Corps were "Royal".<br />As for the aristocrats - you will never find a bigger bunch of social misfits.<br />Tradition - I like it, probably because I like the pomp and glory - good history.<br />It does worry me who will follow Lizzy tho.<br />Back in '71 small group of us met HRH Prince Philip and Lord Mountbatten for maybe 10 minutes.<br />Believe me, they were 2 impressive men. Recall them as very tall, big bushy eyebrows, and very affirmative. Couldn't stop thinking about what Mountbatten did in the War and then in India.<br />As for Charles and Camilla. They should have been let to marry back when they were kids. I have just finished reading about "first wives" a few posts back, so guess where Charles has been is the same place as most of us. I recall some of the sheilas I see around Brisbane, and she's a bl**dy improvement on most of them. :D <br />Good luck to them.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip
Phil <br /><br />I'd say we meet about halfway.<br /><br />Mountbatten was a great man and a great leader. He never deserved the lousy death he got from the IRA. He earned his spurs by what he did, not what he was born to, although he mightn't have been in the same position if he'd been lower born.<br /><br />Apart from the reasons I've already given, I don't respect Charles as a man so I can't respect him in any leadership capacity. If you truly love and want to be forever with the woman you're shagging even though she's someone else's wife you leave your wife for her and accept the consequences. If you don't, despite all the usual excuses I've heard from weak blokes who want the best of both worlds, you don't really love her and you're just a weak ba$tard who's using both women in the worst way and putting up excuses to avoid unpleasant consequences for yourself. Blokes like that are cowards beneath contempt.<br /><br />Edward VIII, for all his faults, had more conviction and moral courage in this area in his little fingernail than Charles does in his whole body.<br /><br />I think tradition is important if it represents something worthwhile, and if the people who celebrate it know what it's about. Australia Day is pretty much a meaningless holiday, not that I mind the day off. ANZAC Day is entirely different, but it symbolises a lot more than Gallipoli. In some ways I think Armistice Day is more important because it reminds us of the ultimate futility of most wars and the horrendous suffering and death which so many endured on both sides to so little real purpose in WWI. I can remember telling uncomprehending people from Southern Europe to shut up and stand still in a store about 25 years ago when we used to stop for the minute's silence. Nobody much cares now. <br /><br />I like pomp too. Can't go past Elgar's "Land of Hope and Glory" and a company of Horse Guards with swords drawn.<br /><br />Have to challenge you about all corps being royal. My recollection is that at least three weren't: Legal, Psychology and Catering. I don't know where the lawyers and psychs fell short but it wasn't hard to work out where the cooks were lacking.<br /><br />My problem with the current Australian position is simply this: We're big enough and ugly enough to stand on our own two feet. The dismissal of the democratically elected government by the G-G in 1975 as, or at least in the capacity of, the Queen's representative shows that we're a democracy as long as the Crown, or people purportedly acting on its behalf, allow us to be. I'd rather be a full democracy with a government (or more accurately governments as the state governments all have the same structure) answerable to and under the control of nobody but Australians. <br /><br />New Guinea and East Timor have full independence, which we pretty much got them, while we're stuck in the middle of the 19th century. I reckon we're entitled to the same rights we've extolled and won for other nations like New Guinea and East Timor, or which other nations like the US won for themselves long ago.<br /><br />If it's bad for an Australian to want to live in an Australia run purely by Australians for Australians, then I am bad right to the $%^&*@# bone!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Never thought about reproduction?? Yuck.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Never thought about reproduction?? Yuck.
You should give it more thought.<br /><br />If you do it right it's not that yucky. <br /><br />Are you sure you're putting things in the right place?<br /><br />Experienced reproducers actually find the process somewhat pleasurable.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

I must say... I've quite enjoyed the tussel of words between the two aussies! VERY informative. I thought you've, (Aus.) separated it's self from the royal Mum's T!t awhile back. hummmp. <br />The bit about Phar lap and the horse to back was very good English Humor, did I say that right?<br />Just to poke a bit, I feel the need to say somthing like, "we left, we wern't sent". ha ha. But I don't want do dissrespect those I don't know, especially those down under. <br /><br />So sorry about the drought tho. We've got your rain over here...sl

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Tink you wise a$$, you crack me up. :D <br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br />
Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Never thought about reproduction?? Yuck.
You should give it more thought.<br /><br />If you do it right it's not that yucky. <br /><br />Are you sure you're putting things in the right place?<br /><br />Experienced reproducers actually find the process somewhat pleasurable.
Sorry Tink, I was imagining the Royal couple doing the horizontal bop. Now admit it, she ain't Jennifer Anniston. Thats why I got Chuckles the 2 paperbags. In case one rips! :D :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thats why I got Chuckles the 2 paperbags. In case one rips!
Sure glad you clarified that NYM! Thought it was a magnitude thing not a redundancy issue. :p :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Thats why I got Chuckles the 2 paperbags. In case one rips!
Sure glad you clarified that NYM! Thought it was a magnitude thing not a redundancy issue. :p :D
If these two were dogs at the SPCA, they'd be put down upon arrival. Man are they UGGGGGLY.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Steve - you got it right mate. That's our English humor.I believe the Aussies add an amusing flavour to it. <br /><br />Tink - can't really disagree with your views. You are pretty much spot on. As for the 3 Corps not "Royal". I had forgotten about them. I understand the Legal Beagles and the Trick-Cyclists not being Royal. Another comes to mind -the bl**dy pay Corps - I recall our bunch as being the biggest bunch of drunks in the Mess, and when down in Boggie St, they were always at the head of the que.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Just seen it on the news that the Queen won't go to their wedding... Just about right for the general level of apathy to them over here.<br /><br />JB- I know this is not the PC thing to say/think but to be brutally honest if don't want to be ridiculed and don't like being royal they can always walk away. Personally I think the British monarchy are a total waste of space. Edward did it when he married Wallace Simpson...<br /><br />Oh and Boomyal, we DID mind when they took our guns away. This ridiculous ruling was a kneejerk reaction by the government fuelled by media hype that's screwed it up for a good number of us. Can anyone see the logic in "some kids were killed by an illegally owned pistol, so let's make legally owning one impossible"? If anything the gun crime over here has got WORSE now, most of it from activated replicas that are as dangerous to fire as to stand in the path of the bullet.<br />As a direct consequence of that law I can now be arrested and imprisoned for owning the emergency distress flare pack I have because the police think it's a handgun (it is in fact a pains-wessex miniflare pack)<br />This country is getting more and more ridiculous by the second.<br /><br />Anyone in the US want a Brit to stay?!!!

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br /> Just seen it on the news that the Queen won't go to their wedding... Just about right for the general level of apathy to them over here.
Same news here. I'd say it demonstrates Betty Windsor's taste, judgement and conduct is still pretty sound and shrewd in difficult areas. Just a pity she didn't pass it on to her kids.<br /><br />She is, however, going to the separate blessing and reception. The reverse of those lousy weddings where you get invited to the church but not the reception. Like you'd turn up to a boring ceremony when you don't get the consolation of free grog later.<br /><br />Any idea what Betty is going to give them as a wedding present?