What does this marking mean on this new to me outdrive?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Anti-clockwise would be pretty uncommon terminology in North America... most here use 'counter-clockwise.'
I’d say you’re right…but just having a wild guess at it. Thoughts around English being a second or unnatural tongue to the fella responsible…might perhaps mean he cares not an ounce for counter or anti preference

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Upon much closer examination,I found the exact markings in 3 other places on the drive and the prop had marker written "test prop" on it. Drained the gear oil which didn't look bad and was dark green so I assume it was the high performance type however it did not appear to have drained a full quart of lube.Planning on making a pressure testing gage from a Harbor freight brake bleeder as next step to see what I got here.So far so good though after pulling the prop ,zinc skeg,and removing the planing fin I did not observe and grease or anti seize anywhere.Charlie

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Upon much closer examination,I found the exact markings in 3 other places on the drive and the prop had marker written "test prop" on it. Drained the gear oil which didn't look bad and was dark green so I assume it was the high performance type however it did not appear to have drained a full quart of lube.Planning on making a pressure testing gage from a Harbor freight brake bleeder as next step to see what I got here.So far so good though after pulling the prop ,zinc skeg,and removing the planing fin I did not observe and grease or anti seize anywhere.Charlie
If the drive was low on lube and has sat I would pop the top cap and make sure there is no corrosion on the upper bearing.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
If I'm not mistaken those gears might be marked so you identify the ratio.
If not, you can count the teeth.
Popped the top and all looked nice, clean and well lubed.There was a small red marking somewhere in there.Didnt count the teeth or look closely for any markings.Based on the effort to get the bolts out I would say the cap has never been removed.Charlie

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't worry about trying to count teeth. The only way to get full ratio is the rear top cap must also be removed, then remove prop shafts to finish the count.

Make the prop shaft and drive shaft. Rotate drive shaft 10 times and count prop shaft turns. Then divide by 10