What does this marking mean on this new to me outdrive?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Picked up this outdrive with ss prop very cheap. It was left on the rack in marine shop
.I assume the markings mean gear ratio.Dont know about the AK . Its crusty but I couldn't pass it up.Locks into gear and turns by hand properly so cleaned up should be a good spare drive for my 5.0 mercruisers......I think??? Whats the marking mean? Charlie. sorry for lost pic

Attachments

• outdrive.jpg
    outdrive.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 55

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I agree that whomever removed it and put it on the shelf marked the turns ratio for later buyer to ID. 1.5:1 is a pretty high gear ratio recalling something like 1.68 up to 2.0 (distant memory) in sales brochures. It'd have to be on a fast boat or a prop with a very shallow pitch. (opinion)

alldodge

Staff member
Have not been able to find the AK reference, but think it may have to do with the housing. There have been changes over the years so take a look and see if something comes of it

dwco5051

Commander
Picked up this outdrive with ss prop very cheap. It was left on the rack in marine shop
.I assume the markings mean gear ratio.Dont know about the AK . Its crusty but I couldn't pass it up.Locks into gear and turns by hand properly so cleaned up should be a good spare drive for my 5.0 mercruisers......I think??? Whats the marking mean? Charlie. sorry for lost pic
Mark the shafts and turn it by hand. Will tell you the gear ratio for sure. AK remains a mystery.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drive came from alaska? 1.5:1 ratio

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Mark the shafts and turn it by hand. Will tell you the gear ratio for sure. AK remains a mystery.
Thanks but can you be more specific on exactly what to mark and how many turns etc. Thanks
drive came from alaska? 1.5:1 ratio
Long Island boat. Any idea what the ratio means ?? As far as engine size matching up? I have always thought the 1-5-1- is for a V8. ?? Charlie

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks but can you be more specific on exactly what to mark and how many turns etc. Thanks
This is how you manually verify it's a 1.5 ratio drive
Yes most 1.5 are used on SBC V8 light boats, Twin SBC V8 heavier boats, and also BBC V8. All depends on HP to weight ratio. If it gets heavy enough it ratio will go low (1.8, 2.0, 2.2)

We know it's 1.5 so don't worry about that part.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Should be a decent spare drive, especially for what I paid for it.I will give it a serious pressure washing with the "no-no" nozzle and then split it to see what I really have.Its got some corrosion and looks like it was on a dead boat or it wasn't painted with antifouling paint. Im not expecting it to come apart easily but you never know.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
or it came out of Alaska (ref post #5)
Yes Scott you DID say that already but it came from a LI NY marina.I also doubt there would be any reason to put the home state on it.Guess it may have to do with the customers name.I have seen that on drives ion the shop.Charlie

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yes Scott you DID say that already but it came from a LI NY marina.I also doubt there would be any reason to put the home state on it.Guess it may have to do with the customers name.I have seen that on drives ion the shop.Charlie
He is just being a wise azz...

Did you ask the guy you bought it from.... Yes most likely customer name so they can put it back on a boat in the spring, which must not have happened...

Did it pass a pressure test?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
He is just being a wise azz...

Did you ask the guy you bought it from.... Yes most likely customer name so they can put it back on a boat in the spring, which must not have happened...

Did it pass a pressure test?
Yes I was going to thank Captain Obvious for his reply but I didn't want to be a wise azz... The guy had no history on the drive.He bought it in a lot of stuff from a marina that closed.Have not pressure tested it yet but it has lube in it and no obvious leaks which I know only tells part of the story.Hey for $50 with a ss prop on it...I couldn't pass it up.It may make a decent spare drive or just a spare upper or lower unit.Will pressure wash it up and start splitting the drive soon.Charlie

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What if the guy who removed it and marked it…wasn’t too clever at spelling perhaps…
Marked it AK for Anti Klockwise ?? Not totally sure, but might there have been the rare occasion that some of these had the lower internals arranged to run a left hand prop rotation? Might explain the bargain price too ?
Just a wild, but unfounded guess at it !
1.5 ratio would be what the very early gen 1 or pre alpha ratio would be, driven by a 5.7 or 7.4 in some cases, I’d say. More recently superseded by a 1.47 ratio in the gen 2.
Bravo one are very commonly a 1.5 of course.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Anti-clockwise would be pretty uncommon terminology in North America... most here use 'counter-clockwise.'