What does the trim limit KIT do?

appel1978

Cadet
So I am newish to boating. I installed a trim sender assembly on my 1990 omc cobra a few years back. But it only reads on the gauge for the last 20% of travel down. As soon as it get past about 20% up the gauge stops working because there is a huge gap between the switch arm and the stern drive that is being raised. Is this normal? I figured it should show a smooth consistent read on the gauge till it reached the top so I know exactly where the position is at all times.
I saw this part for sale, its called an omc trim limit kit #987142. What is that for? Where does it go I can't see any pics or diagrams anywhere online on where it is to go.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So I am newish to boating. I installed a trim sender assembly on my 1990 omc cobra a few years back. But it only reads on the gauge for the last 20% of travel down. As soon as it get past about 20% up the gauge stops working because there is a huge gap between the switch arm and the stern drive that is being raised. Is this normal? I figured it should show a smooth consistent read on the gauge till it reached the top so I know exactly where the position is at all times.
I saw this part for sale, it’s called an omc trim limit kit #987142. What is that for? Where does it go I can't see any pics or diagrams anywhere online on where it is to go.
Trim limit is usually a calibration of a max angle of tilt. Often seen on outboards (like mine) that have a risk of hitting the back of the boat or some other obstruction perhaps.
Or that may be termed tilt limit perhaps. Technically trim is something that goes to a certain degree in the range of trim. After and above that would be considered tilt or trailer perhaps. Just to cover my arse 😂

appel1978

Cadet
Just FYI it's an I/O drive. Omc cobra 5.8l. And I do understand what trim does that's not the question the sending unit that tells me how high the stern drive is stops working at about the 20% mark due to the fact that the stern drive is no longer touching the sending units arm anymore which is falsely telling the gauge that the stern drive is fully up but its not and still goes quit a bit higher. I dont see a way to adjust the sending unit. Are these round tumbers in this kit suppose to go somewhere to adjust the settings. Or is this part not even for my boat?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727_111816_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230727_111816_eBay.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 4