What does my gas tank look like?

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought a dumb sounding question might get your guys and gals attention. seriously though, i have a 1976 16 ft larson tri-hull and like so many of the parts the gas tank was MIA when i recieved the boat. There is a filler cap in the rear left corner (looking at the back of the boat) so i imagine there was a permenent tank at one point. I want to put a real tank in instead of using those 6 gal red ones. any ideas? or pics? :confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: What does my gas tank look like?

Joey, You might look for a removable floor panel, in front of the splashwell. The original tank may have been under there. Also, you might look under the splashwell and try to figure out the route the original 1.5" fuel filler hose took to the original gas tank.

Pony

Rear Admiral

In the tri-hull I had, the gas tank sat on top of the floor, under the splashwell and behind a vinyl "curtain" that was attached to the splashwell and connected to the floor with buttons. The filler cap was in the rear of the boat.....had a 2inch rubber hose that ran from it to the tank and then a smaller hose that ran from the tank to a screened overfill nozzle that went through the side of the hull. <br /><br />It was a 12 gallon metal tank.......(make sure its grounded :) )<br /><br /><br />Your boat may be entirely different....but thats how my set up was

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pony's sounds like it would have worked the best in my situation. I already have taken up the floor and removed a rotted transom so i know that there was no removable floor peice though i do like that idea. If i were to replace the tank what kind and where should i look? Would pulling one from a small car at a junk yard be an option or is that the wrong way to be going? i have only ever used small red tanks and want to get away from that.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Do you not want to go for plastic??? Tempo makes an array of tanks. I did some searching recently and they about every size imagineable....<br /><br />Something LIKE this would be almost perfect. <br /> <br /> <br />It has the inlet and smaller overfil tubes just like a metal permanant tank would.<br /><br /><br />Heres some similar ones.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...rch_in_category=t&view_id=40342&page_number=2 <br /><br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...rch_in_category=t&view_id=40342&page_number=2

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a way better idea, when i think of plastic i always went back to little red cans but somthing similar to that would be much better. I would think that i want somthing that will help center the weight right? or would having the tank on the one side with the battery and other such stuff on the other kinda work?

Pony

Rear Admiral

As far as balance goes....I think a battery weighs 50-60lbs or so and gasoline weighs 6-6.5lbs. So if your tank is at 12gallons you are looking at about 75lbs. Only a difference of 15lbs when the tank is full, and that can easily be offset by an anchor or something. <br /><br />IMHO and maybe some of the others who are FAR more experienced in balance can chime in and help you out MUCH better.....its going to be hard to balance the tank and battery because the tank will always be at different levels of fuel and at different weights. If it were my boat I wouldnt be too concerned with it. Tri hulls are pretty steady in the water, and I'm guessing and balancing you do will most likely be with the people in the boat and where they sit. <br /><br />Im sure some others could give you some better advice....or verify mine somewhat

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

I start out batt on one sige and gas on the other. I have only noticed it when im imn the boat alone, it doesnt list as much when im low on gas..lol