What does it take to make a heathen, or make a heathen pray?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you can be bothered reading what should have been a fairly short thread but ain't, get a snack and settle down for a rambling exploration of something or other about faith and the lack of it.<br /><br />The religious threads have encouraged me to start a thread exploring why some people have faith and pray and why other people turn away from them. <br /><br />Some people come to faith or have it strengthened through adversity. Some, like me, are perhaps turned away from it by adversity. Many have the good fortune just to absorb it in their family or community without ever having it really tested. I envy them the certainty and security it gives them.<br /><br />The real test of a lack of faith is in someone like me who had a strong religious upbringing but whose experience turned him away from prayer and religion and towards self-reliance, and who can face imminent death without resorting to prayer or trying make bargains with a god. <br /><br />That's not the same as saying I'm sure there isn't a god or an afterlife, but I'm unimpressed with the evidence for them on earth, which is the only place we're going to get it.<br /><br />At the general level I can't accept that a loving god would allow the Holocaust or the Rwandan genocide or the KKK or slavery or the current massacres in Sudan or the execution for fornication of a Muslim woman who is the victim of rape or a few million other examples of gross injustice and harm to innocents.<br /><br />At the personal level, which probably confirmed my path to godlessness, by my 14th birthday I'd lost count of the times I thought I was about to die at the hands of my crazy drunken father. Three of many examples:<br /><br />1. If I hadn't moved off the arm of the arm chair the samurai sword that he swung at me and buried in the side of the chairback certainly would have killed me.<br /><br />2. His favourite trick was getting me in the military neck snapping hold and informing me that he could kill me with a quick shove because he was both a trained soldier and a doctor. A week when this didn't happen at least once was a quiet week. <br /><br />3. It's not widely recognised that you can train a 13 year old boy to stand to attention and then fall flat on his face rigidly at attention. I can assure you that it is possible to overcome the natural instinct to put your arms out to save yourself when you have had the crap beaten out of you often enough and have had a samurai sword swung at you as in the first example for flinching when about to hit the ground. I became quite proficient at falling to the ground at attention. It hurts, but you can learn to put up with most things. What hurts more is being used like a performing circus dog to amuse the drunken Catholic and army fu*kwits assembled for the performance, particularly when it is clear that some object but are too weak to voice their objection. <br /><br />This happy time of my life started when I was 12 after my first stepmother left with her (their) 5 kids and left me with the lunatic. By the time I was fourteen I'd long learnt it's pointless praying for help. <br /><br />It's also pointless asking anyone else for help, especially priests and Christian Brothers and sundry devout Catholics who will virtually run out of the house of a local prominent Catholic, no matter how patently dangerous he is, when they can't handle what is happening or what he is doing to a child. Begging and pleading and tugging at these useless bast@rds to stay or to help me or to take me with them was a waste of time. <br /><br />One of these pricks, a Jesuit priest, had the temerity to look critically at me repeatedly from the altar where he was celebrating my father's requiem mass a few weeks ago because I was standing there resolutely uninvolved in the mumbo jumbo service he was conducting. He didn't have the guts to make any adverse comment afterwards when he had the opportunity, which was just as well as I had the whole service to work out what I had to say to him about his deficiencies 40 odd years ago when he was one of the glorious examples of Catholicism and Christianity at its best who ran away when I sought his help on the many occasions he came to our house. I wasn't at the service out of any belief in it or love for my father but purely to support others in the family.<br /><br />I've had a few other times I thought I might die since I left home at 15, like car accidents and being trapped in a lift in a lift well full of diesel fuel with sparking electric wires and being trapped on the first storey of a building with a drugged idiot armed with a knife which he kept assuring me he was going to kill me with. In the latter case I was prepared to take a window out with my body and take my chances with the 15' drop onto concrete to get away, if I could just solve the immediate problem of getting out of my chair without being stabbed. I've never thought of prayer in any of these cases.<br /><br />The only times I've ever been tempted to pray in the 40+ years since I was 13 or 14 are for my children when it's been feared that they might have life-threatening illnesses. I didn't, but if they turned out to have the illnesses which fortunately they didn't I would have prayed to any god and sold my soul to the devil, if he thinks I have one, to save them. That doesn't mean I believe, just that I'd do whatever I could to save the people I love. <br /><br />As for me, although I make jocular comments about having a bet each way on my death bed by confessing (which is the Catholic way of collecting $100 and getting a "Get out of Jail Free" card), when it's been a real threat of my imminent death which is the best test, I have never thought of anything but doing whatever I had to do in a practical sense to live.<br /><br />But I never really believed any of the Catholic stuff even when I was an altar boy long before the real bad times hit. Otherwise I would have gone to mass on Sundays and done or not done lots of other things that condemned my soul to eternal damnation, although the Catholic Church in its infinite wisdom has since removed some of those things from the mandatory penalty scale, which must really pi$$ off the poor souls currently in hell because they stuffed up before the magic date. And people keep telling me that I'm wrong to believe that churches aren't controlled by men and not God!<br /><br />If it's the family that inspires belief by example, it didn't work for me despite relentless Catholic indoctrination at home and at school. I didn't rebel against it. I just thought it was BS, then and now.<br /><br />Maybe experience has little to do with faith or its absence? Maybe there is a faith gene or personality that some people can have or need faith in something outside themselves and others can't or don't need it?

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: What does it take to make a heathen, or make a heathen pray?

:) A heavy chain smoker that had a severe heart attack!!! :p :p <br /><br />Didn't read the whole thing, just the title!!! ;) :cool:

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Fly Rod:<br /> :) <br /><br />Didn't read the whole thing, just the title!!! ;) :cool:
Very wise.<br /><br />I would encourage others to follow your example.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Tinkerer,<br />I'm truly very sorry for he experiences you faced as a child. They had to have been even more traumatic than you did your best to describe. <br /><br />I'm sure others will have more to say.<br /><br />James

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Tinkerer, you lovely Aussie,<br />I feel deeply for your dire times when young. Mine were very happy with a father who taught me a lot of things, which I paid back by teaching him how to fish the fly and how to tie his own. Nevertheless...I cannot find religion to be the answer to happyness or moral standing. To many idiocies have been committed in the name of one god or the other as you so graphically wrote down. One of our human frailties is to blame someone else if things go wrong and to say that it is the will of god is in the same categorie, I think. We learn we suffer we laugh and we cry and its all pefectly in line with how it should be to become a good person if you want that. It's called living! Thanks for your confirmation that it's about who you are and not about which label you have on your forehead. You did well Tink!<br />Frank

crab bait

Captain

yeah,, nuthin' worse than a drunken religious A-whole..<br /><br />maybe GOD did interine.. maybe he stayed you put cause if'n the priest took you with him,, could of done you more harm.. in a man priest/boy love kinda way.. or bought you up like friar tuck with all his merry men. :)

Fly Rod

Commander

After coming back and reading the replies, I took the time to read your post!!! I'm sadened and feel sorry for what you had to grow up with at home!!!! There are many young people through out this country today that are experiancing what you went through and it is very sad! sad! sad!!!<br /><br />Since it is not faith that you believe in, maybe if you have not already, maybe you need some professional help, if you have not seeked it already!!!<br /><br />And, if you are married and have children, I hope that your wife and children aren't being treated like you had been treated!!!! If so, then you need help!!!<br /><br />Good Luck!!!! ;) :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Tinkerer, thanks for sharing, that is really an interesting read. Your appearance at the funeral to support other family members tells me you are a remarkable individual. Neither participating nor disrupting the service showed real class, I think. You done good.<br /><br />So, is there a "faith gene?" I doubt it. I think it's 100% nurture and zero percent nature.<br /><br />If God is both all-powerful and all-good, then why do bad things happen to good people? Isn't that the question? I came to this conclusion (not entirely original, sort of a composite of readings and my own thoughts): it's random. <br /><br />The world is a hostile environment which we are physically ill-equipped to deal with. If our lungs fill with water, we die. Add to that, the concept of "free will," which allows any of us to harm another, but which you must accept unless you are willing to congratulate Osama Bin Lama for doing "God's Will." <br /><br />Does God designate each child born into famine, who will live and who will die? I don't think so. No, I think it's random. Who will get cancer, who will fall victim to crime, yada yada yada. God's there, His role is not to intervene, but to support, although, He does intervene sometimes, but usually it's through other people. <br /><br />Under my philosophy, He sent your Jesuit Priest, but since the priest is human and subject to failure, he missed the boat. God would not have wanted your father to be such a jacka**, and would have been sad about it, but still would give him the freedom to act badly.<br /><br />Why is that the proper way for an all-powerful all-good God to behave? That's where faith comes in, in my philosophy. I don't know why, must have something to do with what happens after we die. Or, if God doesn't exist in a linear time scale like we do, such that every moment past and future is happening right now, and always has been and will be happening, then it doesn't really matter, does it? But that's just a sidetrack I can't explain.<br /><br />If you are taught that God is in control and whatever happens is "His Will," then you must conclude that God is a callous, uncaring deity at best, and a monstrous sadist at worst.<br /><br />If you are taught that your prayers will always be answered, such that for example, "pray for Mom's cancer to be healed and it will be healed," and then Mom dies of cancer, what are you to believe then? "I must not have prayed hard enough, or used the right words, or maybe my brother didn't pray well enough." Some people think that way, I call it "Peanuts Religion" after the comic strip where Linus sits in the pumpkin patch on Halloween waiting for the Great Pumkin, you know the story.<br /><br />In my philosophy, it's more appropriate to pray for peace, pain relief, wisdom and steady hands for the medical staff, that sort of thing. <br /><br />Then when you see bad things happening to good people and you have an opportunity to do something about it, just do it. Doesn't have to be every day, just take your opportunities. Not because it's a requirement for getting into heaven, but because it's the right thing to do.<br /><br />If you ever see a book titled The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, you might find it interesting. The author is religious, and there is some religion in it, but it's more about philosophy than actual religion.<br /><br />hope I didn't take your thread off course, if you want I'll edit my crap out & put it in its own topic.<br /><br />thanks again,<br />jtw

SoulWinner

Commander

Good answer jtexas. I can't add anything to that.

LadyFish

Admiral

self edited

D

DJ

There is HUGE difference between faith/belief and religion. Religion was created by man for man for the sole purpose of control. That is why so many governments have embraced religions as a secondary means of control of the populace. They used the fear of the unknown as a secondary stick to keep the population within check. <br /><br />This country (USA) was founded on the belief that faith/belief have a profound place within government and society, just not sanctioned.<br /><br />Faith is an entirely different matter. One can have a profound faith without belonging to "organized" religion.<br /><br />Previous quote:<br /><br />"At the general level I can't accept that a loving god would allow the Holocaust or the Rwandan genocide or the KKK or slavery or the current massacres in Sudan or the execution for fornication of a Muslim woman who is the victim of rape or a few million other examples of gross injustice and harm to innocents."<br /><br />If one studies the Bible, it is written that the Supreme Being-God has very little control over what happens, on a day to day basis, on earth- for now. In essaence, it was written, that Satan will have his reign.<br /><br />The Earth is the domain of Satan. The Earth will be reclaimed when Jesus comes again to take his believers to paradise. Some know this as the upcoming 1000 year reign. A quote stolen by Hitler, of all people.<br /><br />With all that said, there are, for the lack of a better term, "forays" into the earthly realm in which Gods servants (angels) do intercede with earthly happenings. That is not done without great effort. Outside this world, there is a stuggle between principalities and powers (spiritual) that we do not see.<br /><br /><br />One cannot take past experiences of humans doing dispicable acts in the name of religion as being sanctioned by God. It is obvious to me that they used the "power" of fear to obtain personal objectives.<br /><br />Faith does not belong with that thinking. <br /><br />Faith is about everlasting life, not the here and now.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

tinkerer,<br /><br />I try to avoid these post because of the discension that they cause.<br /><br />I have to agree with your rambling. At the age of 13 I was in CCD classes for confirmation in the catholic church when the priest said to us that only Catholics get to see God!?! I don't get it maybe I was more realistic for my years but my reply was "how do you know?" With no good response. That started me on me journey of selfexamination which has led me to belive that most organized religions are organized extorisionst. (oh I can here it now). When ever you go to any organized religious events they are looking for $$$$. And when you need them they are rarely found. <br /><br />Having said that let me say that there are some great societal benefits from organized religion. I believe it is the one place that morals & values can be taught reinforcing what is and should be taught at home. Even look at the Word God and Devil and you have with some slight modification good and evil that is what religion is for to steer you from evil and to provide guidance to do good. IMHO<br /><br />I send my daughter to catholic school just for these reasons. The public schools do not teach ethics and values. There are no consequenses, if little johnny does not like what the teacher said he goes home and tells his parents and they sic a lawyer on the school, but I digress. <br /><br />Even here you hear intolerance. I refused to quote individuals but any comment that differs with their beliefs you get slammed. I pointed out in one thread about how disappointed I was in those that where advocating death for a minor. How Jesus's phiosophy in the new testament was one of forgiveness and in the new testament it is said that justice will be done by the Lord. (paraphraseing). The angry reply I received was the Bible also says an "eye for an eye". I ignored the reply but now I say you are either a Christen (who I believe is a person who follows Christ teachings) Or in response to this comment your Jewish and still follow the old testament teachings. People who use religion to make their cases I find are hypocritical at best and can be down right evil at worse. It's no wonder that the churches have seen a decline in membership. If you were to use rational thought in a debate, right or wrong you would earn a lot more respect than just spouting off from the bible.<br /><br />This whole tirade exempts those who truly follow their beliefs and live them everyday of their life. To those people I stand and applaud you for standing behind you convictions. Those who have fish symbols on their car and flip people the bird as they drive, cuss people out, or are prolife but are for the death penalty I say do a little bit more searching and before you tear sombody else down, look at youself and see if you have room to talk when it comes to your faith.<br /><br />Amen, I'm done.<br /><br />And yes I believe in an higher power but I will not use that to make an agrument or couterarguement unless its to prove the irregularities in the other persons statements.<br /><br />Now I really am done :) :cool: :) :cool: .

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Tinkerer, you are a survivor for sure. You have my personal life and death struggles at the hands of family members, and scarring experiances with Catholic priests beat.... But not by much! You and I are just about the same age, also it turns-out, and have both suffered the misfortune of a youth most can't comprehend.<br />I have also been thrown across a room by an angry brother from one end into the wall, run over by a drunken father, beaten until I lost concienssness, and have suffered a host of injuries in my own "home". But unlike you I think, I had a savior. My mother. She never did devorce him, and she had her scars too. But she tried, and allways conforted her injured child, and patched him up. I was never "allmost killed", but have endured many attacks.<br />I won't go into the many more instances of fear and pain of my youth, but suffice to say, I lived thru it, and have come-out the other side.<br />As for my faith, it was never nurtured by the priests, or from the ex,one of those hypocrytes they talk about in the Bible, who was a "devout" Jehova's Whitness (and you know how hard they werk at thier faith). My mother tried, but I saw what her religion's limitations were, and her faith was not my own. I broke her heart when I denounced Catholicism.<br /><br />But it's not suprising to me that you feel the way you do about God. I'm just concerned that you are looking to others for your answers, and have come-up short every time ---- <br />not only short, but often, disillusioned about Christianity. The answer is in the Bible, and in your own heart. Your ability to "cowboy-up" is an ability I cannot do myself, without God's help anymore. Too much cowboying-up for this old worn-out speed/adrenilyn freak. But I searched my own heart, looking for that reason, and found it. And the answer aint here, Tinkerer. It's what comes after. For me, at least.<br /><br />You make the extremely common mistake of man, (and one I made) to blame the world's evil on God, while forgetting what the Bible teaches us. God doesn't starve the kids, or kill the handicapped. Man does that. Natural destasters, such as tsunamis,earthquakes, storms, kill countless life-forms every year. And then, there is our own frail bodies,unable to beat the smallest of life-forms on this planet, for control of our own bodies.<br />The bible explained to you why this is.<br />The extremely commonm mistake, is to ignore the influence of evil, even in the midst of evil. Satan not only exists, Satan riegns supreme on Earth. Nobody said it would be an easy ride, and I often wish it would end ,but just end painlessly. Instead, each year, another chronic pain developes somewhere in my 52year old body. "If we were created in God's image, why am I falling appart?"<br />I --- dunno. I should not care either. That's faith, brother! And when you see man's imhumanity to man, not only in plain view, but CELEBRATED, you need to understand, Satan has this world. It may happen before you die, that your death will be at the hands of the horrible evil you have so-far dodged or outwitted. Maybee an internal evil like cancer. But I just pray that it's quick and painless, because we all die.<br />And when we were gone, what were we here for? It wasn't here iether! :) <br /><br />I hope you recognise the purpose of life soon, because you allready know it contains immoral, imhuman, catastophic pain and suffering, amoung short periods of happininess that never last. And the horrific evil that has permeated our society, is spreading. That right there, is what lit the fire under me. When they took the Ten Commandments Sculpture out of that Capital building in Alabama,( a State I've never stopped in), that was the last straw!!! <br />I had a coversation with myself. "So, Sean..You call yourself a Christian, and stand idly-by, as many viweable expressions of Christianity are pulled-down! What are you waiting for? Another ROME? Wake up! Fight this degradation -this BLATENT PERSICUTION, before it turns on the people themselves, and they are "fed to the lions"!! Become a soldier for Christ, if that is what you believe. If not, STOP LYING TO YOURSELF AND TO GOD!"<br />The following Sunday, I was in church next to my wife, who allways went. Why that church,some 15 miles form here? Because Carol (Mrs 12Footer) liked it, that's all.<br />There were no tears on my part. I didn't walk-up to the front of the Church when prompted. No "revelations" here. It was simply time I fought for what I believed in my heart. I do not care what the guy next to me in church is there for, (although I have an idea). I'm there to fight the fight, however it surfaces, with God gaurding my six.<br />I just pray you look for something more substantial than this life. There is so much more to live for, before you go. I pray you find it, as I have.<br />If not, I hope you never give up the search.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Very excellent points presented. I'll try to keep mine brief.<br /><br />On a percentage scale, I have seen FAR more ugliness, bigotry, and hypocrisy inside the church than I ever saw outside of it. But that hasn't shaken my belief in God, only my belief in Man. It has gotten to the point that, although my own faith is strong, I absolutely detest religion. As other's have said, I think you may be making the mistake of blaming the evils of the world on God, rather than where they belong, on Man.<br /><br />Tinkerer, I feel for you. I wish (as do we all) that I had an easy answer for you.

LadyFish

Admiral

Often in this life we make judgments about how things are. We look at someone else and think, "Well, of course they're happy. Everything is wonderful for them." However, many times we don't really know the whole story. Knowing the whole story might help us understand that we need to realize that they might actually be hurting much more than it appears on the outside. <br /><br />Thanks for sharing those stories and lessons learned guys.<br /><br />Its not always faith that gives you strength, but strength that gives you faith.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Often in this life we make judgments about how things are. We look at someone else and think, "Well, of course they're happy. Everything is wonderful for them." However, many times we don't really know the whole story. Knowing the whole story might help us understand that we need to realize that they might actually be hurting much more than it appears on the outside. <br />Thanks for sharing those stories and lessons learned guys.<br />Its not always faith that gives you strength, but strength that gives you faith.
Amen!! A song captures that thought, LF;<br />'Perspectives' By Kutless;<br /><br />"It feels like your life's crashing <br />Down all around you<br />Let me ask if it's really so bad <br />Look at the world in it's suffering<br />can you honestly tell me <br />That no one else could understand<br />All the hurting inside?<br /><br />Why can't you see that freedom <br />Is sometimes simply another perspective away?<br />Who could you be if your lens was changed for a moment?<br />Would you still be the same?<br /><br />A young child looks through a great stained-glass window<br />Watching the people go by<br />Everyone seems to be wearing a red coat<br />His mother sees jackets in white<br />Now he can't understand why does she see it this way<br /><br />Yesterday, you really couldn't see<br />By changing your angle a new world would be<br />Revealed to your once-blinded eyes by moving a few degrees

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tinkerer,<br /><br />I've read many of the religous threads in DC and decided to stay an observer. But this thread moves me to respond. While I haven't gone back and reviewed your posts, I've noticed them and recall that I strongly agreed with many of them. <br /><br />I can't say for sure whether there is a higher power; I suspect there may be, although I don't know what form it takes or how it interacts with our world. I can't identify with organized religions and yet I'm probably more committed to living a life of integrety and tolerance than the vast majority of people I know, religous or not. My experience is that in general, the negative effects of organized religions often counterbalance the positive ones.<br /> <br />For those of you for whom religion adds a sense of peace and comfort to your life, I'm happy for you (honestly). I just ask that you please be conscious/cautious of the tendancy for many organized religions to facilitate a degree of subconscious intolerance for those who might not share its views. My experience is that this happens all too often. <br /><br />Tinkerer, I get a sense that you are intelligent, independent, and a very rational, analytical thinker. Perhaps these are traits that in CERTAIN PEOPLE lessen an openess to 'faith' or organized religion. <br /><br />For me, it's impossible to belive in the notion that there is one true religion when, for much of the world, one's religion depends almost completely on the culture into which one is born. Certain parts of the world, odds are that you'll become a Christian, others a Muslim, and others a Buddhist. In reality, there isn't much of an overall choice; almost universally, one adopts the religion of the culture into which one is born. And each religion 'knows' that it is the 'one and only' true one.<br /><br />If there is a God in Heaven I can't rationally believe that He would exclude a large proportion of humanity based, in large part, on where they were born. <br /><br />Well, there's my attempt to throw out a possible answer to your question (which was probably rhetorical, but what the heck). I hope in expressing my views I didn't offend anyone else. That was certainly not my intent. I get the sense that you've overcome many of the 'obstacles' (how's that for an understatement?) life has thrown at you. If so, congratulations. If the abuse you experienced earlier in life still presents lingering negative effects (which would be understandable, if not expected), as someone mentioned above, perhaps professional help might be of benefit.<br /><br />You have my best wishes that for the rest of your life you experience an overabundance of peace and good luck to offset a little bit of what you went through during your younger days.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Very moving story,very wrong place to tell it.How about trying this out in a psychologist's office?<br />Here you get gentle pity,there you might get help.

tylerin

Commander

Hang on a moment while I find my glasses :D