what does everyone do for a living?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
33 years in construction .. It used to be fun years ago ... Not so much anymore ... If I could pay my mortgage by selling snow cones on the beach I think I could make a career change ... ;)

I like the way you think, phelps....... :)

82rude

Rear Admiral
Where? Been in steel making since 1978

Global Sales Manager:
38 years in industrial measurement and controls. Steel, aluminum and web product producers

Algoma steel in Sault Ste Marie Ontario now called Essar steel .I was in production and spent a while operating a 400 ton molten steel ladle crane then group leader till the bitter end .Was intimately involved in producing the armor plate steel that was used in the upgrade of your hummers and caterpillar products.Spent a lot of time measuring and identifying 1000 degree steel slabs and babysitting unruly fellow workers,lol.This pdf tells about some of the steel I was involved in .Armor plate is at the end.dingbat.http://www.essarsteelalgoma.com/media/EssarHTSWeb.pdf U.S. military came up years ago and in our main building they gave us an award and some plack for the armor plate.All your up graded hummers have our steel .

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Algoma steel in Sault Ste Marie Ontario now called Essar steel .
small world. Currently negotiating a preventative maintence contract for the X-ray thickness gauge on the plate mill. Supplied the gauges on the HSM as well

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Then you know they can be tardy with paying out money .Just be careful, their playing some kind of game right now .Were for sale even though were pumping out steel like nobodys business.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Professional forum commenter. Oh and part time cook and dish washer. Used to be a wrench turner in the food industry.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm in the Army, and work as an instructor here:
image_zpsmpyixdyo.jpeg

angus63

Captain
In this order....Marine Engineer in US Merchant Marine, Engineer US Navy Reserve, Fishery plant manager, Commercial fisherman, Fluid power project engineer, Printed circuit board project engineer, Aero and deep space heat exchanger engineering manager, Marine Engineering Lab Director and Instructor at USMMA and P/T commercial fisherman now.
I must get bored easy. We will see what the future holds...

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Navy (submarines) for almost 24 years
3 yrs navigation electronics installer for Viking Yachts, now moved up to Quality for the the Navigation electronics installation and new vessel delivery

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Then you know they can be tardy with paying out money .Just be careful, their playing some kind of game right now .Were for sale even though were pumping out steel like nobodys business.
They've been "cash in advance" with us for quite sometime. Rumor has it Essar is looking at buying USS Hamilton

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yah if we could produce and sell rumors we would be more valuable than Apple!Also Tata is rumored to be a tire kicker for us.angus63 your a restless soul.CaravelleMike id love to go on a quick spin on a sub.Could I bring my rod and reels ?Do they have a good trolling speed on one of them,lol.

NYBo

Admiral
Retired last fall after more than 35 years working with the developmentally disabled, now a parts sales manager at AutoZone. I did a few months as a sales associate at Home Depot, but two part-time jobs turned into more hours than my prior full-time job.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

component designer for these things

Attachments

• photo241723.jpeg
    photo241723.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

sometimes wish I would have followed my dream path instead.

kind of at a crossroads right now and may choose the dream over the money LOL

Attachments

• photo241724.JPG
    photo241724.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 0

WIMUSKY

Staff member
sometimes wish I would have followed my dream path instead.

kind of at a crossroads right now and may choose the dream over the money LOL

Life is short, follow your dream. I was making really good money working in "The City". Walked away from it, moved way north and never looked back. Now I make a fraction. That was 18 years ago I pulled the pin.........

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
you know it is funny I give others that exact advice almost daily yet never seem to follow it myself. I have had a few runs at the dream and must say they were happy days indeed.

thanks. I may have to put a bit more thought in to this.

leaving to get on a plane right now to do an interview for another design position in FL.
Maybe I need to call one of the numbers on my ph instead.

Tnstratofam

Commander
you know it is funny I give others that exact advice almost daily yet never seem to follow it myself. I have had a few runs at the dream and must say they were happy days indeed.

leaving to get on a plane right now to do an interview for another design position in FL.
Maybe I need to call one of the numbers on my ph instead.

I did that allot myself. Give people advice and encouragement to follow their dreams. All the while I stayed at a job working for a company that I disagreed with on multiple levels all because it was safe and responsible. My wife had encouraged me for many years to leave and go my own way. I finally listened to her after banging my head against the wall for many years and left them last August. Haven't looked back since.

You only get one time around on this ride so use it wisely. Live every day like it could change the world! Or at least change yours!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Obviously, there is a financial component to all this, but, if finances is not and issue, then it's just a matter of deciding you're going to go for it. I know a lot people I use to work with that wish they did the same thing....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm still Living, that is the only Dream! In the past year I have learned to live with much less and to enjoy and appreciate the things I do have.

I can still walk, though not as well as I used to and I can still work around the house, though not as much as I used to. I've been able to see the grandchildren almost every weekend, it really lifts the spirit! "God bless all the little children of the world/" Ray Stevens.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20 years as a combination shipfitter/welder at a private shipyard in Portsmouth, Va. Then 19 years as a ship repair estimator at the same location.

DayCruiser

Ensign
I own 2 small businesses. Not getting rich by any means. Can't stand the thought of retiring. I hope someday I will get used to the idea or just die on the job. I sure don't want to end up in some nursing home