FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I frequently change the oil in my lower unit. Today I discovered it was contaminated with some water. It's a 25 hp Merc. that is only three years old. What might be the cause ?
bad seals<br /><br /><br />get a lower unit seal kit from your dealer. its pretty cheap.<br /><br />also, get a manual before you try replacing them.<br /><br />your dealer has these too
Since the motor is only 3 years old and assumming you have run it moderately or less and you have changed the oil previously it may well be as the last post reply - vent and/or fill plug. Last year when I changed my lower unit oil I inadvertantly forgot a teflon washer on one of the plugs. Luckily I checked my oil after my 1st outting after that. I flushed all out and redid the change with the teflon washers (gaskets) that time. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I found the proper washers at Boater's World and I've flushed and drained everything twice. I am putting it back together today and hopefully this will solve my problem. *I did discover that I had somehow not installed the teflon washer on the lower screw last time. Didn't know such a little oversight could cause such a big result!