What anti-theft devices do you own?

Re: What anti-theft devices do you own?

weld a ring inside rim, cable goes around the leaf spring through the ring and locks , simple and is hidden. but like has been said before if some one is determined there going to get it , mine is just a little harder to take than the people down the road. weld two rings opposite each other or your tire will be out of balance

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Coupler locks and welding the coupler to the tongue are of no help in preventing theft unless one also spot welds the yoke adjustment nut under the coupler. Spinning off that nut allows the yoke to drop off so the couple can be dropped onto the ball and away they go. Tongue weight will keep the trailer attached unless one does some ridiculously fast driving. In the event that does happen, the law may be their tail so loss of the trailer in that case would be beneficial for the anticipated but generally unsuccessful getaway.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dogs-n-guns!

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Protected by German and Shepard x 2.My 2 best friends!

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

an engraving tool!
so said, if they want it that bad they will get it.
the erngraving tool will get them caught.
my 68 AMX has my name, initials or a symbol all over it.
the rotors, axles, ring and pinion, u joint, trans, crank, pistons, rods, block, heads, intake, in short all over.
have done that to a lot of things incuding the boat.
engrave in so many places they couldn't possibly know everything.
record all of the places you engraved and if stolen you can give the information to the police and trusted shops.

danek

Recruit

How about pink and aqua vinyl??? :eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Lock/chains and insurance.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

i just have a lock on the trailer.

Little story though- Years ago at the first electrical company I worked for in Delray Beach, FL the owner of the company used to park his tinny in front of what was the shop. Really it's a detached garage in a residential area. One day he asked us to wire up a flood light/ motion sensor pointing down on the driveway and boat.

Within a week someone came and stole the motor off the boat. Seems the light helped out real nice so they could see what they were doing and cut his lock etc.

Boat sat there for a couple years and was never messed with till we lit it up.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always believed that locks are for HONEST people in order to feel safe with what they own. If a thief wants what you have bad enough, there is nothing short of shooting them that will prevent it from being stolen.

I will not advertize what method(s) I use to try & prevent my boats from being stolen or vandalized but I will say this. Who ever attempts to steal my boats will get the "SHOCK" of their life. AND "if" they manage to walk away from the shock, they "WILL" most definitly be scarred for the rest of their life. And if I happen to have a power failure, I have a backup system that turns on within 10 seconds of the main power loss & is inacessable to anyone other then myself. If someone can hook to my boats in that 10 second time frame & make it out of my driveway, they can have it.

I was told that the system I have is "illegal" to have in use. I really don't care. My reply is it is also illegal to steal from someone else. I have "0" tolerance for thieves regardless who they are. I've worked very hard for many years to have a few things to enjoy while I'm retired just sit back & let someone steal what I have just because they want it. I also have a sign at the beginning of my driveway in BIG RED LETTERS that say: SMILE, you are on Candid Camera.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whether or not it is illegal there is another and possibly bigger consideration - what you are liable for.

Search the internet for ridiculous lawsuits and you will see that any criminal who you zap is a lawyers delight. They have grounds to sue you for everything you have, even while admitting they were trying to rob you.

Go to the web and search for lawsuit abuse. You can start with the Stella awards named after the lady who won $3 mil after spilling hot coffee in her lap.

Try www.m-law.org for more.

How would you feel if some robber was able to legally take not only your boat but your house, car, etc. in a massive lawsuit?