Westerbeke generator

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
I have a 2007 larson 274 Cabrio with a Westerbeke generator that I am trying to get to run correctly. It will start but dies and won't restart after running a few minutes. The next day, it will start and then die, etc.
I had a Volvo marine repair shop replace the impeller, but it still does the same as before. When I told them, they said they couldn't test it because the trailer bunk covers the water intake. It does not, so I don't think they want to deal with it, "we don't really work on generators" was their response. So I hooked up a hose in a bucket full of water and started it myself. It sucks water, but still dies. It will restart with starter fluid over and over, so it's not getting gas. This 5bcg model has three sensors, oil pressure, water temp, and exhaust temp, any of which will shut off fuel at the carb fuel shut off solenoid. All very hard to get to since it's buried down in the bilge next to a 8.1 liter engine. I can get to the fuel shut off solenoid, it's a one wire connection. My next plan is to see if disconnecting it will keep it running, but I don't know if it's power on closed, or power off closed, or if I should ground the wire so as to not fry the circuit board. Anyone know?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Is there a temperature gauge for the generator - is it working - and is the engine temperature normal? Running and then quiting after a few minutes is a sign of overheat shutdown, low oil shutdown, or lack of fuel. Disconnecting the fuel shutoff will shut the fuel off the fuel solenoid - that's what solenoids do. They are energized to allow fuel flow. Clogged fuel filter, water in the fuel, air leak in the fuel line are just a few things to look at. Do the cheap stuff first rather than throwing parts at it.

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! I think the temperature sensor is faulty but it could be the other two. If I jumper 12 volts to the solenoid to check if it is faulty, would that hurt anything?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just gonna throw this out there....we had a motorhome with a generator that acted similiar to this issue, start but not keep on running. I also thought it was not getting fuel. Took it to a " generator" repair shop not to far from me. They said when a generator senses no electric output they shut down. He replaced my brushes in the generator and it fired right up and ran fine once it detected electrical output!! Have no idea if marine genny's and MH genny's are the same animal or not, so just throwing this suggestion out there.. Good Luck !!

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! I think the temperature sensor is faulty but it could be the other two. If I jumper 12 volts to the solenoid to check if it is faulty, would that hurt anything
Just gonna throw this out there....we had a motorhome with a generator that acted similiar to this issue, start but not keep on running. I also thought it was not getting fuel. Took it to a " generator" repair shop not to far from me. They said when a generator senses no electric output they shut down. He replaced my brushes in the generator and it fired right up and ran fine once it detected electrical output!! Have no idea if marine genny's and MH genny's are the same animal or not, so just throwing this suggestion out there.. Good Luck !!
Thanks for the good wishes!
It occurs to me that the thermostat may be stuck closed, and that would act the same. So before I do anything to disable the safety overheat system, I had better check that out. Should be fairly easy since it's just under the coolant filler cap, unless the bolts break or strip.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
If I jumper 12 volts to the solenoid to check if it is faulty, would that hurt anything

Thanks for the good wishes!
It occurs to me that the thermostat may be stuck closed, and that would act the same.
Jumping 12v to the solenoid won’t hurt it. Being this is at the bottom of the bowl they do tend to get cruddy. I doubt it would start at all if stuck closed. If it was starving for fuel it would start to run lean and sputter before it died. If it just shuts off, it sounds like a safety switch like was previously mentioned.

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
Well, I ran a 12 gauge line from the battery pos through a 30amp fuse, the through 20 amp switch and finally tied into the grey/brown wire that joins the two wires from the fuel shut off switch.
No change, started and then dies and wont restart except briefly on starter fluid

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Disassemble and clean carb. Also can try removing plunger from solenoid but if its gunked up the passages probably are too

Cbr1000dude

Cadet
This is breaking my back, I'm 78 1/2 . I am going to put this on the back burner until I can find a real marine mechanic to fix it. Anybody out there want to take a shot at it? Pays $140 an hour plus parts and half pay for travel time to Piper Point marina or I can trailer it to you.
I did replace the spark plugs, the impeller was replaced by a (mechanic), but the raw water pump leaks like a sieve so that needs new o rings at least. I hooked up a water hose attached to the trailer bunk so it had a good water supply.
The two floor panels come out by removing 14 screws, done this several times, they're heavy.
Anyone interested please reply.