Wellcraft or Robalo or Black Fin or BW for CC?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to buy a CC in the 22-23ft range and currently looking at a Wellcraft 222 Fisherman, a Robalo R230, a BlackFin 222C (might be over budget), and a Boston Whaler 230 Outrage (might be over budget). I am looking to get opinions and experiences about these boats.

My goals are boating on the St Lawerence river between Cornwall and Kingston plus some boating on Lake Ontario going 10-15 km offshore or long runs just to cruise for the day. Plan to do mostly cruising plus some fishing in Lake Ontario. I will have a max of 5 people on board with most of the time being 2-3 people onboard.

Currently, I am leaning towards the Robalo R230 because it's slightly bigger, a bit nicer and the electronics seem better. I have only seen a Wellcraft 262 Fisherman in person so I am hoping to see these boats at the Toronto Boat Show to help me decide on what I like more. Or at least more of the brands/size range to figure out if it works for my use cases.

aspeck

Staff member
My personal opinion, which doesn't mean a thing, is I like the Outrage. Always have, there is something about a Boston Whaler that is special ... maybe it is because at the Marina I worked growing up we had BW rentals and our service boat was a Boston Whaler (they are still using that same boat 40 years later). We beat it hard and it kept coming back for more. It has been repowered a bunch of times, and last winter they removed the waterlogged foam and redid the floor, but that boat was/is a beast!

The Robalo would be my second choice just because I like the looks of them. No personal experience. Last would be the Wellcraft. They always looked decent, but I they certainly are not the quality of the Boston Whaler.

Those are my opinions and my opinions only. Other opinions may vary, and since you didn't pay for my opinion, understand you get what you pay for! LOL!

SkaterRace

My personal opinion, which doesn't mean a thing, is I like the Outrage. Always have, there is something about a Boston Whaler that is special ... maybe it is because at the Marina I worked growing up we had BW rentals and our service boat was a Boston Whaler (they are still using that same boat 40 years later). We beat it hard and it kept coming back for more. It has been repowered a bunch of times, and last winter they removed the waterlogged foam and redid the floor, but that boat was/is a beast!

The Robalo would be my second choice just because I like the looks of them. No personal experience. Last would be the Wellcraft. They always looked decent, but I they certainly are not the quality of the Boston Whaler.

Those are my opinions and my opinions only. Other opinions may vary, and since you didn't pay for my opinion, understand you get what you pay for! LOL!
Hey, I paid a really high price of $0 for that opinion, well worth the money ;)

The Boston Whaler is by far my first choice but I got quoted at over $200k CAD for it. That's about $30-50k more than the other options. Not sure I can justify that nor afford it if I want to keep my loan term down.

I just got a quote tonight on an R230 for $168,946 CAD which seems pretty reasonable. Little higher than my goal of $150,000 CAD but doable for sure. It seems like a really nice boat and pricing out a Wellcraft I come out more expensive after the shitty exchange rate and that it is IMO a cheaper quality boat based on my research.

mr 88

Commander
You will pay more for a Whaler , and it will be worth more if you trade it in or sell it in a few years when you go bigger. Most people don't figure that in when shopping for a new boat .

Alumarine

Captain
If you will be using it for mostly cruising why are you going for a CC?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would look at the used market.----Put your name on a list at a few big Ontario dealers.----Some excellent trade ins at long time established dealers !

flashback

Captain
I've been under a rock, man that's alot of bucks for a 23 footer

Last edited:

SkaterRace

If you will be using it for mostly cruising why are you going for a CC?
Pretty much what dingbat said, I take some people who are not boaters so it means the ride has to be better or they won't come. Plus I have always liked CC looks wise

SkaterRace

I've been under a rock, man that's alot of bucks for a 23 footer
Maybe so? But then again the exchange rate is like $1 USD to $1.35 CAD so that makes the difference bigger plus add in the dealer saw 5 price increases between last year and this year. Adds up fast

SkaterRace

I would look at the used market.----Put your name on a list at a few big Ontario dealers.----Some excellent trade ins at long time established dealers !
I actually watched the used market around me for the last couple of months and prices are insane. There is a Robalo R230 close to me for $11k more than I'm going to pay. It is used and has I think ~240 hours on it. CC are not super common around me so that drives used prices up as well as people asking insane amounts for stuff. Debating waiting till spring to pull the trigger but then again a difference of $20k isn't going to determine if I get a boat or not.

SkaterRace

Ride quality.........
Big water Performance.......
Exactly my main reasoning, I am out with a max of 2-3 adults and 1-2 kids plus 90% of the time it will be 2 adults and a dog. Seating isn't my concern but instead handling rough water to be out any day I want - limited time off work so have to take what weather I can get - and also my parents are kinda scared of the water around me so bigger safer boat is better for getting them out with me.

SkaterRace

Have you factored in the extra tax on boats over $100,000 in Canada ?
There is none till $250k I think. The quote doesn't have it well sorta it has it as $0 which lines up with what I know. Anyways that's a financial question more so than boat