Weight and balance

drewpster

Commander
I need some suggestions here. I need to figure out where I am going to put everything in the stern of my tri-hull.

DSC04877.jpg

I am considering the possibilty of closing the area under the splashwell. Originally the fuel tank was mounted on the port side and a single start battery was mounted on the starboard under the splashwell. I am adding a second battery for a transom mount trolling motor. Ideally I would mount a new tank in the center and the batteries to each side of the tank. The problem with that is if I mount the tank in the middle it blocks access to the deck drain. I also considered elevating the tank 4 or 6 inches to allow access tot he drain. But that will still make the drain a pain to get to. You think I should just scrap that idea and go back factory with it?

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Weight and balance

put your plug in from the outside. the way I/O's do it. you cannot seal completely, as it will need air circulation. secure tank with straps that can be removed when necessary.

drewpster

Commander

you cannot seal completely, as it will need air circulation.

I agree, and this is where I am stuck. Originally the area under the splashwell was covered with simple vinyl curtain that snapped at the top. It was not secured at the bottom and flapped in the breeze. I thought it looked silly so I got rid of it. I like to stow things in there as well, so I need easy access. I guess I could put the curtain back and maybe snap it at the bottom so it is not so half way looking. Maybe a tent zipper in the middle so I can still get in there easy? I don't know.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Starcrafts had sliding doors in them originally back there.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have acess to my plug in my boat. The acess to my plug is from the outside only. I do have a builge pump behind my gass tank so if I need to get the water out there I turn on the pump. It has not been any issue. If something happens to the pump I pull the tank. It has not happened yet. My tank is installed on two pieces of 1x 2 strips 5200 to the floor with stainless carriage bolts that come up from the bottom so the studs stick up and my tanks is bolted down on them with wing nuts. It makes it pretty easy to pull if I do need to get to the sump in the floor. Sorry I dont have pictures of this set up. I will try to get some when I do the resinstall in my boat. My only issue of pulling the tank is it is almost inpossible to do when the tank is full.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never seen a boat with plug on the outside only...

If you do build anything back there, make sure what you want back there fits easy.. No funky manuvers to get it in or out.. That is the biggest thing I see.

Sucks being on the water, and standing on your head trying to get something in or out of the handle dandy storage!!

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

pic of the drain? Im having trouble visualizing your dilema.... Your deck looks really good BTW.

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never seen a boat with plug on the outside only...

If you do build anything back there, make sure what you want back there fits easy.. No funky manuvers to get it in or out.. That is the biggest thing I see.

Sucks being on the water, and standing on your head trying to get something in or out of the handle dandy storage!!

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense_Garb...45012816--**********.482334584--view_id.56062. This is the only drain I have on my boat. Inside is a bilge pump. The only time I pull the plug is when I am on the outside of the boat at the ramp. I made notes. When the boat is moving down the ramp the plug should be in and when moving up the ramp, the plug is out. down in up out. Kind of simple really. ok yes I have forgotten. ;)

drewpster

Commander

pic of the drain? Im having trouble visualizing your dilema.... Your deck looks really good BTW.

I dont really have a good picture of what I am talking about. The drain I am talking about is the bilge drain for the deck that goes through transom. (the plug) I normally put the plug in from the inside. It is located in the center of the transom at the bottom and is used to drain water that gets on the deck.

I really dont have a big problem putting the plug in from the outside of the transom, I have done that before. It just not ideal. I think it is safer from the inside. I/O boats normally dont have good access to the drain so you put them in from the outside.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ooooh ok I know what u mean now, you can always get the garboard drain that has the one way check ball in it. We got ours for about 8-10 bux at bass pro shop. That way if you forget to put your plug in or it falls out u wont have any worries. Then just fiberglass some 1x2 or 1x3 strips and put under the gas tank in the center of the stern.