Weekly Q&A 7/18-7/25

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Weekly Q&A 7/18-7/25

1. How many years have you been boating? 25+ years<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose? Fishing<br /><br />3. What was your first boat? An old 12' aluminum canoe. I built a trailer for it so I could tote it behind my bicycle.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures). Less than I spend on golf ;) <br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have? Hunting, woodcarving, all sports<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? Most of it.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? Nope<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offense? Nope<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? Nope<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? I was taking my brothers waverunner out and I had my six year old son on the back. As we were just about out of the no wake area and ready to give it some chowda, my son says "I don't think this is a good idea, Dad." So we just putted around so he wouldn't be scared. :)

Carphunter

Commander

1) How many years have you been boating?<br />25+<br /><br />2) What is your primary boating purpose?<br />To float.......................Actually, to Fish.<br /><br />3) What was your first boat?<br />Not sure of the make of the boat, but it was a very old <br />13-1/2' V-bottom aluminum boat with a 25 Elgin motor.<br /><br />4) How much do you spend annually boating?<br />Including gas prices, I would say $1000.00.<br /><br />5) What other hobbies do you have?<br />Spending time with my family, Hunting, Camping, Golf.<br /><br />6) Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />If I am able.<br /><br />7) Does your spouse or signifcant other share your love of boating?<br />Yes, or she wouldn't be my spouse. :p <br /><br />8) Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offense?<br />No. I have never even had my license checked.<br /><br />9) Have you ever been stranded?<br />No<br /><br />10) Have you ever experienced a backseat driver onboard?<br />No

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. How many years have you been boating--33yrs (not consistantly)<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?--Recreational<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?--12' Malibu fiberglass w/25 'rude<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).--?? Too much!<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?--Photography, guns, computers.<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?--yes<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?--yes<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?--no<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?-- yes,wade out retrieve the engine, pull the plugs, dry out the cylinders, hook the gas line back up and limp back to the ramp with tail between legs.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?--no

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

1. How many years have you been boating? 39<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose? to catch fish<br /><br />3. What was your first boat? 6 hp evinrude hung on many, many rented 14' alum jons ($3/day on the natural lakes of North Louisiana); trolling motor = silent one-handed paddling technique; depthfinder = rodtip stuck down in the water, or a texas rigged plastic worm; livewell = stringer hung over the side; baitwell = styrofoam bucket; bilge pump = pull the plug at WOT.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures). less than $1000<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have? travel, fishing, camping, cooking, gardening<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? yes (thanks, iboats!)<br /><br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? no but she seems to tolerate it pretty well<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? once, two PFD's shy of the # of pax onboard, driving my dad's boat in LA; he had assured me that boat cushions qualified as PFD's; he also paid the $50 fine.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? been towed a couple times, neither over a quarter-mile<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? yep<br />Who? my dad<br />How did you handle it? just nod & smile & keep doing what I'm doing

KennyKenCan

Commander

1. How many years have you been boating? 35 Years <br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?Fishing and the Beach<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?1970 Winner Tri-Hull<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).Too Much!!<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?Snow Skiing<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?Of Coarse<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?Usually<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?Nope<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?Nope<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?Yup!! This guy Gary. Last time I saw him he was dog paddling back to shore!!

aspeck

Staff member

1. How many years have you been boating?<br /><br />Born in September, boating in May, so 42 years on the water.<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /><br />Fishing first, having fun second (skiing, tubing, swimming, cruising, etc.)<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br /><br />10 foot jon boat with a 3.9 merc engine that I inherited from my Grandfather.<br /><br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br /><br />Don't know and don't want to know.<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /><br />Hunting, camping, etc<br /><br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /><br />Some. Others I let to the professionals (my brother is a mechanic)<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /><br />Yes - not as much as I because she hasn't had as much opportunity - didn't start till she married me!<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br /><br />Yes - walking in a boat while it was in motion! Go figure! Had an old Reinell that wouldn't come on plane. Everyone had to go to the front to get it to plane off. Factory eventually bought it back and we got a new one. Couldn't believe we were stopped for that one! My mother gave the officer a piece of her mind. He did not ticket us!<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /><br />No - have always been able to use the trolling motor.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?<br /><br />It is amazing what you cannot hear with an outboard at WOT!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

1. How many years have you been boating 35+<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose? Watersports, cruising.<br /><br />3. What was your first boat? Starcraft Islander<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures). 3-4K<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have? Basketball, Skiing,<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? Mostly engines still baffle me, I would like to buy a messed up 350 chevy and rebuild, just got too much going on and not enough space right now.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? Seems to<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? Yes. Two Weeks ago on the mississippi, for speeding in a no wake zone. I was working against the current and I was going a speed required for steerage. I recieved a warning only. I would have fought that one to the bitter end. But the nicest cop in the world explained that he needed to at least give me a warning to up his count to continue to recieve funding, really nice guy. Gave me a free chart book of the upper mississippi! :D <br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? yes, begging!!!<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? DAD, Expeditiously..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

1. How many years have you been boating?<br />Off and on all my years (33)<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br />Fun<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br />Same as in signature<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br />3-400<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />Car racing, hunting, dirt bike, camping, anything fast or outdoors.<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />Yes<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br />About 90% as much<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br />Nope<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br />Too many times, with the help of others<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? Nope

phatmanmike

Captain

1. How many years have you been boating...<br />10 years or so...<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?....<br />cruising, exploring local islands, finding great swimming holes and secret freshwater spring, looking at wildlife, cruising...ive only FISHED from any of my boats ONCE<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?....<br />50 dollar 14foot jon boat, still got, check my older posts for restoration onfo...<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating?....<br />probably between 2-3grand, unfortunately EVERYTHING is a LEARNING experience hint hint<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?music, my kids, my wife, camping...<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?.....<br />yes, and nothing but .. after seeing how much my local wrench charged me to install a new control box and steering cable, and having it take 7 weeks<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? yes, except for the spending of the MONEY part<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?no<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?....<br />MANY MANY MANY TIMES. rowed a center console with kayak style oars once from the gulf of mexico at 4 in morning fisrt night i bought boat, engine blew a piston. swam, walked, been towed... all the same boat ironically<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?nope