Weed control

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Decided this year not to have the weeds chemically treated by a contractor and I am going to DIY without chemicals. I have a shed full of weed cutters, bottom rollers, rakes etc. Looks like the best solution is a V blade cutter I just have to modify the handle. What do you do to keep the weeds at bay?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most lakes I know of use something like this.
1000003358.jpg

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used to use pellets that worked quite well. Google Aquacide Pellets

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
I used a piece of S S wire about 70' long with about a1 pound weight at each end. The were looped around a patch of weeds. In a U shape and tied to the corners of the small boat. A quick start in forward and all are cut off close to the bottom. No chemicals . Just some simple setup. I have a smooth mud bottom. Works great on those invasive Water Lilies. When they just reach the surface.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I have a set up that I use on the bottom, an 80 gpm pump to flush out the silt from around the dock, I may try jetting the roots out from under the weeds.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Most lakes I know of use something like this.
View attachment 398547

They use those on lakes here in Minnesota with invasive weeds, milfoil. Fortunate that we do not have any invasive species on the lake (YET). The other side of the issue is clearing an area for the landing zone so fisherman can bounce lures off my pontoon, or anchor 2' off my dock and pull fish off spawning beds.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The PO left an AQUA weed cutter, it is a v blade 32" long on each side, it came with a horizontal handle and a rope, supposed to throw it out and pull it in, really didn't work well, I modified the connection and have a 10' handle with a pivot at the blades to allow for keeping on the bottom. it cuts right thru pre emergent Lilly pads. Will have a weed free gravel bottom around the dock and a weed free passage for skiers.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
1 year I used a electric pump gallon of killer. Small boat with oars and a tiny squirt on each leaf of the Lilies. Did 99% death for 2 years. No more Lilies since we have city sewage system. No fish also.

A real case of. Oh well.