We are buying a goat....

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: We are buying a goat....

Cattle breeds are so mixed. Do not get any Saler or Charleigh or Limesein. Hereford are great for pets because they are almost always gentle. Had my knee busted up by one, but that is a different time and place. If you really want some fun play with breeding. 5 acres is not a lot for cattle, but with some hay and grain.... breed that herford to an angus and you will have great calves. If you get a female calf breed that back to an angus for a few years. When the heifer has two calves, breed it to a Gelbveigh, then that one back to angus. You will have a great calf by that point. Only if you want to commit a lot of time and money. if not, get a Hereford.<br />Another thing with pigs, they tear things up, but you will have to feed them. Plant a patch of potatos and let them have at it. They don't eat grass, and dig large holes everywhere.<br />To me cattle would be the choice, but you don't have much land for that.<br />The goat and sheep thing can be a lot of fun on top of profitable and don't take a lot of land.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: We are buying a goat....

I've only had rabbits and gerbils. Gerbils don't taste that great so I wouldn't recommend them but rabbits are pretty simple to raise and good eating. We had three does and a buck in four seperate cages. We'd have up to a couple of dozen little ones at a time. The adults were pets but the offspring were fair game (get it?) for eating.<br /><br />Our rabbit operation was part of the garden really. The cages were atop the compost bins and had mesh bottoms. The trimmed foliage and reject veggies went into the rabbit cages along with thier regular pellets and hay. They would digest it and deposit it into the compost bins and we'd toss it back on the garden after it rotted.