waterproofing

qpawn

Recruit
I was wondering what people use to waterproof wood in boats. I am going to put in a could of 1x4's along the side of my boat in order to create an area to hold things. The wood is replacing some rotted wood which was on the boat when I bought the boat. I have looked at stuff like Thompsons, but have used it before on my deck and it needs to be reapplied every year or so and I'm not really interested in doing that. Thanks in advance.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: waterproofing

In the few places where I have used exposed wood I have had good luck by impregnating the wood with epoxy and then finishing it with clear lacquer for the UV protection that epoxy needs. I'm just now finishing up a new bow pulpit that way and my rocket launcher is done that way.<br /><br />This is what the rocket launcher looks like finished that way:<br /><br />
rocket-launcher.JPG
<br /><br />Here is what the new bow pulpit (next to the nasty old one) looks like with just the epoxy on it:<br /><br />
pulpit.JPG
<br /><br />Oh, both are made from Black Walnut.<br />Thom

qpawn

Recruit

Thanks guys. I think I know what direction to head in now.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you need 1X4's home depot sells them in a composite garanteed for life for less than wood. If memory serves a 1X4 bt 12 ft long was around $6.00. It comes white, but paint is suppost to last 3 times longer should you decide to paint it. I have used it one of my boats and found it easy to work with and straight every time.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Epoxy is the only thing I would trust.