Water Spraying!!

ingham01952

Seaman
BOAT- 2007 Larson Cabrio 240
ENGINE- Volvo Penta 5.0GXI-GF and has 555 ECM and HSV distributor
* FRESH WATER*
I have been chasing a saltwater spray for weeks now. Wiped out my alternator and fuel pump which have now been replaced. I attached a pic of the two hoses replaced to the right of the impeller but didn't stop the spray. today I finally got a video of water spraying onto the heat exchanger. it can appear it's coming from the exchanger but it's in fact spraying ON TO the exchanger from most likely the water pump cover? does salt water come out of this? I thought because its fresh water salt didn't reach the water pump.
please see the video. I will get a better view tmrw in the light but maybe tonight I can at least get some feedback. please watch the videos!

tempImagewZt43j.png

View attachment IMG_1246.mov

View attachment IMG_1247.mov

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Appears the seals are leaking on the pump itself. You say freshwater, but salt? So you run in saltwater, and indeed that would be saltwater coming out of the pump.

alldodge

Staff member
Vids don't work, sound only
As Grub mentioned its the rear seal of the raw water pump

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interestingly the videos work on my iPhone but not PC. In addition to needing to fix the Sea Water Pump (also known as a ‘Raw Water Pump’) look at cleaning up any and all rust on the pulleys. Rust on these will cause premature belt wear and the dreaded ‘belt dust’ issue. See pic of pulley rust. And from the looks of things, including the need to already replace components, this leak as been on going for a while so an overall cleaning with a freshwater wash down is warranted.

From your concern about saltwater coming out of this pump: the Sea Water Pump takes in water from whatever the sterndrive is sitting in, so the ocean, and pushes it thru the heat exchanger. Also in that heat exchanger is the freshwater (getting cooled by the seawater) that circulates in the engine via the Circulation Pump. Below is a picture highlighting each of these from your photo that I marked up.

Attachments

• Pulley.png
    Pulley.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Pumps.png
    Pumps.png
    724 KB · Views: 6

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Videos now work but analysis is the same. Below is a marked up exploded diagram of one of these pumps showing the point of leakage is occurring (item 6). As the water leaks out, it is hitting the spinning pulley and thus spraying everywhere.

While it’s not cheap, I would recommend replacing the entire unit. One source for a rebuilt that can lessen the impact is at this link.

Attachments

• VP Pump Exploded.png
    VP Pump Exploded.png
    267.5 KB · Views: 5

ingham01952

Seaman
Videos now work but analysis is the same. Below is a marked up exploded diagram of one of these pumps showing the point of leakage is occurring (item 6). As the water leaks out, it is hitting the spinning pulley and thus spraying everywhere.

While it’s not cheap, I would recommend replacing the entire unit. One source for a rebuilt that can lessen the impact is at this link.
Thank you for the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
complete pump can be had for under $200 its either a johnson F5B or johnson F6B pump