Water separator

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I did not post this in a motor repair section because it would apply to any outboard I believe, and it is not a repair but an install.
I am installing a new water separator on my boat with my 70 H.P. outboard. I have a question since I have seen both installations on line in "how to" videos. Some of the videos say to place the primer ball on the inlet side before the separator (between the fuel tank and filter) and other videos say to place the primer ball on the discharge side (between the filter and the motor). It apparently works both ways since the videos are different on line, but what is the proper way to hook it up and why ? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If after the filter, the crap gets caught in the filter, rather than in the primer bulb's reeds,....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Filter/separators are gravity driven devices designed to operate on the suction side of a pump.

Since the primer bulb is a simple pump, the filter goes on the suction side (before) the primer bulb.

FWIiW: Pumping media into the filter is a good way to clear the water out of them… right into your motor ;)

iggyw1

Mine is mounted between the gas tank and the motor….20 years and no problem, so far!
Between the gas tank & the motor?? So no water separator, I take it. If you have a water separator / filter, the primer ball would have to be placed between the gas tank and separator OR the separator and motor. Without a separator, the ball would have to be between the gas tank & motor like yours is as indicated in your response, but my question was asked because I am adding a water separator, but thanks for the reply just the same.

iggyw1

Filter/separators are gravity driven devices designed to operate on the suction side of a pump.

Since the primer bulb is a simple pump, the filter goes on the suction side (before) the primer bulb.

FWIiW: Pumping media into the filter is a good way to clear the water out of them… right into your motor ;)
Makes sense. Thank you.

iggyw1

This makes sense. Thank you.

iggyw1

Thanks guys. I will be installing my primer ball in line between the water separator and the motor (AFTER the separator) since that is what everyone here is saying to do. However, I now have another question that maybe you guys can answer for me.

I am using the same under floor gas tank for my big motor & my kicker motor. On my old boat, I had a three way valve that I had to switch every time I changed from one motor to the other. I was just wondering if, instead of a three way gas valve, can I put in a brass 'T' rather than a three way valve & still use the two separate primer balls as I did with the three way valve? (That worked great). It was a PITA to change the valve every time I changed motor usage. A 'T' would give me a direct gas line to each motor from the gas tank with no valves to open or close , and each motor would have it's own primer ball between the 'T' and the motor. The 'T' would be installed after the water separator.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Doesn't yer fuel filter housing have 2 outlets,..??

iggyw1

Ayuh,..... Doesn't yer fuel filter housing have 2 outlets,..??
Yes it does. Never even thought of that. That's what I will use. Thanks!!! I have not installed things yet, but that sounds like it will work just fine for me.

EDIT: Someone just told me that even if I run one motor off of one of the outlets on the water separator and the other motor off of the other outlet, I would still have to have a shut off valve on each gas line to the motors as if one motor is running, it would suck the other "off" motor dry and it would not start again until I re-primed it when I want to start it. If I have a shut off valve on the motor that is not running, I will have to open that valve and close the other one. Any truth to this or can I just run one line off of each outlet from the filter / separator with no type of shut off valve and I will be o.k.???

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
EDIT: Someone just told me that even if I run one motor off of one of the outlets on the water separator and the other motor off of the other outlet, I would still have to have a shut off valve on each gas line to the motors as if one motor is running, it would suck the other "off" motor dry and it would not start again until I re-primed it when I want to start it. If I have a shut off valve on the motor that is not running, I will have to open that valve and close the other one. Any truth to this or can I just run one line off of each outlet from the filter / separator with no type of shut off valve and I will be o.k.???
Like electricity, the fuel pump would draw from the path of least resistance which certain isn’t against a dead headed fuel pump or the one way valve in the primer bulb.

iggyw1

Like electricity, the fuel pump would draw from the path of least resistance which certain isn’t against a dead headed fuel pump or the one way valve in the primer bulb.
Kinda makes sense to me when thinking about this. I will try it without any shut off valves at all and see what happens. I really have nothing to lose I guess. IF I need to add a shut off valve later, I can always do that. Thanks. Just wondering now if anyone has done this with no shut off valves to see what results they have had with it?