Water leaking from the Sterndrive

micboy

Cadet
Hi...

Today I went to start my MC 4.3l and I notices water coming out of the Z Drive under the bellow near the pitot tube connection... My setup is on a Bayliner Capri 2052 Alpha one Gen II 95 CK

I have taken a small clip for you to see ...

You tube link

video 2012 11 10 13 56 17 - YouTube

Any help would be nice since I only owned the boat 1 summer and thank God all went well..
Also the Z Drive oil reservoir is still nearly full and only went down 1/2cm I used this nearly all weekends for the past 3 month

Any Suggestions welcome

Thx

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water leaking form the Z Drive

Re: Water leaking form the Z Drive

Hey Mic,

The video isn't working yet, but that may just be a matter of time according to Youtube. I am thinking it might be helpful if we get the nomenclature right. When you say Z drive do you mean the outdrive, sterndrive, I/O as a total unit? If so we can change the title so more people may contribute. Power is definitely transmitted n a Z, so I get that . . . :)

micboy

Cadet
Re: Water leaking from the Sterndrive

Sorry

I meant the Stern Drive... and not the Z Drive :(

Thx

QC

Supreme Mariner

All better :)

Now maybe get that video fixed. From Youtube:
This video has been removed because it is too long.
Sorry about that.

tpenfield

Staff member

Link says video is too long . . . :facepalm:

QC

Supreme Mariner

That looks to me like normal flow through the exhaust. Here is a bad video (guy doing stupid stuff) that shows water out the exhaust. When the drive is down, this exhaust and water are routed through the prop hub. You really shouldn't run it tilted up like that anyway. And it will leak around it even with the drive down. Remember all of that stuff is wet with the boat in the water anyway. Almost looks to me like not enough water ;) Maybe need an impeller. Do some reading up on that here. Good luck!

MerCruiser Alpha One 1 Generation Two 2 Alp Gen 3.0 L - YouTube

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You really shouldn't run it tilted up like that anyway. And it will leak around it even with the drive down. Remember all of that stuff is wet with the boat in the water anyway. Almost looks to me like not enough water ;) Maybe need an impeller.

+2 on that. There should be much more of a stream of water coming out both of the idle relief ports not the sputtering that I see.
Of course, I assuming you have the water input to the muffs turned on most of the way.

Mark

micboy

Cadet

Hi.. Thanks Guys for your repls...

Yes I started this with the muffs turned on.... So today I was at my brother house and he also owns a Bayliner but with a 3.0L MC and for curiosity we did start his on the muffs as well to see if water will come out from the drive.... and to my surprise yes it did so I am assuming this is normal no need to worry too much :p

So according to you guys this is normal right? If I read well you said I should have a steadier flow right..

Also I am planning that in January or February I will remove the risers for inspection although previous owner said he changed these a year ago then I will remove the stern drive to inspect the gimbal bearing and the crosses … just to make sure that the bellow did not leak and water is present inside the shaf..

I cruise in salt water… :(

Thanks

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....agreeing with QC; I believe you are seeing water from the P/S idle ports.

micboy

Cadet

....agreeing with QC; I believe you are seeing water from the P/S idle ports.

Hi Eddie... So does this mean its normal???? could it be the case as I started the engine with the muffs and I have a little to much water pressure!! and its overflowing from the impeller housing abd out...

Should I check the gear oil buy removing the screw and see if i have water ??
Thx
Mic

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think we're all saying that the water location is normal, but the flow looks low. Do you have any previous history on this drive? If not, you should probably change the impeller anyway. Then if you are not overheating, you probably have no water issues to be concerned with. Your other plans seem prudent as well, but impeller replacement is along the same lines, so just do it.

micboy

Cadet

I think we're all saying that the water location is normal, but the flow looks low. Do you have any previous history on this drive? If not, you should probably change the impeller anyway. Then if you are not overheating, you probably have no water issues to be concerned with. Your other plans seem prudent as well, but impeller replacement is along the same lines, so just do it.

Thanks for the reply...

No I don?t have the history of the drive :( but all I can say is that the bellow is new as this was changed few months ago.
Another thing I had the engine running for about 5 min and the temp was always in the green so no overheating thank God. All I can say till date is the drive seem to be healthy and the oil reservoir kept the level quite steady...
But know having read your comments I will open the drive and change the impeller to be on the safe side 

Regards