Water leak into bilge

Sprog

Recruit
I just bought a 2001 Sea Ray sundeck 240 and water leaks into the bilge area with water ears hooked up for cooling and really leaks when the boat is in water without the motor running. I can not see the leak but appears to be in the center of the block on the bottom. Does anyone know what that could be?

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
My first thought is the motor is cracked from freezing. Use your phone and place on video then start moving it all around the area where water is coming from. Might need to also turn on the light to video better

harringtondav

Commander
Hopefully it's not a cracked block. There are several areas where raw/sea cooling water can leak around the engine and dribble down.
Check the hose connections at the thermostat housing.
Check the large 'J' hose connection from the circulating pump to the block.
Check the cooling hose connections at the manifolds.
Make sure the manifold drains and block drains are tight.
...most any other leaks will be a pricey fix.

kenny nunez

Captain
It might be the exhaust “Y” pipe since you said water still leaks with the engine off in the water. No matter what is wrong the engine and drive needs to be removed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you dont list an engine but if a V motor ,there are 2 core plugs on each side of the block near the bottom

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe those had Bravos so it could be the inlet hose from the transom to the sea water pump. Also I believe that hose has a quick disconnect in the middle of it. That hose is often red and buried pretty deep down low and hard to see.

Sprog

Recruit
I believe those had Bravos so it could be the inlet hose from the transom to the sea water pump. Also I believe that hose has a quick disconnect in the middle of it. That hose is often red and buried pretty deep down low and hard to see.
It is a 5.7 efi with bravo 3. I think it is a hose that is leaking because it leaks with out the motor running. On a sea ray sundeck 240 it is impossibe to see under the motor. If I have the motor removed how much should I pay for that service?

alldodge

Staff member
If motor is cracked, freeze plug is missing or Y pipe has a hole it will leak just sitting in the water.

Need to find where it's leaking.

Take it to a shop and let them find it for maybe $100 to $150
Pulling motor $500 to $1000, depends on where you are

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I just bought a 2001 Sea Ray sundeck 240 and water leaks into the bilge area with water ears hooked up for cooling and really leaks when the boat is in water without the motor running. I can not see the leak but appears to be in the center of the block on the bottom. Does anyone know what that could be?
get some mirrors and look. You may a y pipe seal gone. Look for rust! Pray it is not a rotten transom.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
could be the fuel cooler piping cracked to bad hose fitting if on the port side.

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a sundeck 240. Did you remove the bulkhead? Then look underneath with mirrors. Or unbolt the sea water pump from the block and let it drop down. That should let you have a decent look at the hose.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Bad bellows
Bad "Y" pipe
Bad transom assy / seal

I would look real hard at this one. Bad steering pin seal (My B3 did this and would leak about a gallon an hour into bilge just sitting). Does your drive have a lot of play in it? Have some slop up and down? Replaced steering pin and everything associated with it and doesn't leak a drop now.

Only 1 hose will leak just sitting and that will be 1 1/4" one from transom to the raw water pump.