Water keeps filling boat cover, please help!

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
I live in a pretty rainy area and I can NOT seem to figure out how to actually cover my boat. I have an old starcraft so it has a covered bow but the rest is pretty open. It's a 22 footer so the open area is probably 12 feet by 7 feet or so. Long story short, no matter how I cover it, rain find somewhere to pool and once it starts pooling, more and more water collects there until I can remove the water or, if it's really heavy rain, the cover just rips.

I've tried everything, I think. I've tried probably 5 different brands of boat covers over the years and they've all had the same issues. I've tried multiple boat cover support poles, but they tip over or otherwise can't support the cover. I've tried cinching the cover down really tight, but that seems worse because, while sometimes the water rolls off, every once in a while it finds some way to pool and then the cover is so tight that it rips once the water gets too heavy. Usually, what happens is that if the cover is tight, the corners of the windshield are not very sharp but they're sharp enough that the cover will rip right there. I try to cover those corners with cardboard before I put the cover on, but with all the rain, the cardboard usually gets mushy and disintegrates pretty quickly and then the cover will rip once water starts to pool.

My strategy lately is to cover the open area with plywood and then put the cover on, so the tarp can't sink down. Even then, the issue is that the rain still pools, and soaks through the cover and warps the plywood, and then the plywood bends under the weight and eventually causes damage inside the boat.

I really have no idea what to do here. I'm sure there's an easy solution, I just can't think of it. Am I doing something wrong? Is this just an annoyance of boating that I need to get used to? My boat yard is a lot of boats with fiberglass cockpits so they just leave them uncovered, or some people have the snap on covers that also don't seem to work all that well unless there's a tall roof to hang them from. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have an aluminum boat. Pull the plug, make sure the bow is up.

Regarding the cover, you may have to invest in bows

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I had a 2001 Mariah that I used pool noodles slit down one side to put on the corners of the windshield and used some 1/2" PVC to make bow's for under the cover it worked well and everything is cheap.

matt167

Captain
I have a 1971 Offshore V18 that has to sit outside ( Holiday 14 gets inside storage ) . I built a triangle support system that sits ontop of the gunnels, and kind of locks in. Secured with a few zip ties and the cover itself. I have supports that go to the floor as well. It never collects anything

airshot

Rear Admiral
Buikd a framework from 2x2's or pvc pipes, make steep angles to shed water and tie it down. If your cover is puddling water, you don't have enough angle to shed the water or you need a stronger cover !! My last tarp/ cover was nade at a semi truck tarp shop, very heavy duty, about 15 yrs old, no tears, no rips, no leaks even if the water puddles... You can't get away with cheap throwaway tarps !!

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, one of the hassles. Keeping the water shedding, as mentioned is obviously key.

I've got the front part of my convertible top up (just over the main front seats, essentially), and a "Heavy Duty" (WM) tarp over the boat, either bungeed to the trailer or staked out at the corners.

That's high enough to keep it shedding water, but if strong wind comes before the rain (as it often does here), sometimes an eyelet will rip out. Haven't had that prob lately though, and the last tarp I got from WM seems better than the others I've had. I go through about 1 tarp a year (sun damage).

Right now I've got the ropes and tarp corners crossed under the bow and outdrive, and tied out at the opposite stakes to make it less susceptible to the wind, versus each corner going to it's own stake (that sort of wraps it better). I haven't found (or taken time to build) a completely foolproof thing that'll withstand all weather, but I might be getting close.

PO had two wooden stands that he put towards the front and rear of the boat (open bow) with a long 1x6" with smoothed corners resting on it's edge in a notch in each stand's upright 2x4" (the 1x6" could extend beyond the stands); he used a slightly oversized boat cover strapped down to the trailer, and a tarp on top of that. It worked Ok for me for a while, and didn't make as high a profile as I'm presenting now (to the neighbors), but the stands or the 1x6" were prob a little too short to totally eliminate the possible water pooling thing, and I only used that method a year or two.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, on my 21 footer, I put a 2X4 from outboard motor hood to windshield, and then to bow. I use light (1/8") rope going side to side over the 2X4, and connecting to cleats, handles, and anything else solidly attached to the hull to make a tent. Then toss a cover over it and see if that gets it.

I also added tie downs to the cover, doubling the amount that it came with. Very easy with some web strap and a sewing machine, but can be sewed by hand, easily.

jeepinandy58

Cadet
Hello,
I live in a pretty rainy area and I can NOT seem to figure out how to actually cover my boat. I have an old starcraft so it has a covered bow but the rest is pretty open. It's a 22 footer so the open area is probably 12 feet by 7 feet or so. Long story short, no matter how I cover it, rain find somewhere to pool and once it starts pooling, more and more water collects there until I can remove the water or, if it's really heavy rain, the cover just rips.

I've tried everything, I think. I've tried probably 5 different brands of boat covers over the years and they've all had the same issues. I've tried multiple boat cover support poles, but they tip over or otherwise can't support the cover. I've tried cinching the cover down really tight, but that seems worse because, while sometimes the water rolls off, every once in a while it finds some way to pool and then the cover is so tight that it rips once the water gets too heavy. Usually, what happens is that if the cover is tight, the corners of the windshield are not very sharp but they're sharp enough that the cover will rip right there. I try to cover those corners with cardboard before I put the cover on, but with all the rain, the cardboard usually gets mushy and disintegrates pretty quickly and then the cover will rip once water starts to pool.

My strategy lately is to cover the open area with plywood and then put the cover on, so the tarp can't sink down. Even then, the issue is that the rain still pools, and soaks through the cover and warps the plywood, and then the plywood bends under the weight and eventually causes damage inside the boat.

I really have no idea what to do here. I'm sure there's an easy solution, I just can't think of it. Am I doing something wrong? Is this just an annoyance of boating that I need to get used to? My boat yard is a lot of boats with fiberglass cockpits so they just leave them uncovered, or some people have the snap on covers that also don't seem to work all that well unless there's a tall roof to hang them from. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
I have an '82 Smoker Craft 16' fishing boat. While they are not the same, we have a similar problem. My next attempt will be new cover, the support device and pool noodles for cushion/protection at points of contact. On the support device, I had one but it kept tipping over in different directions. I'm thinking I need a larger base to resolve the tipping issue.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
for the mooring covers I have simple adjustable poles for bow and cockpit that work fine and I put the gull sweeps on them to keep the dang birds off...
for the winter cover that has to hold up to snow I built a frame, it takes about 40 min to put together but holds up to whatever snow we have gotten in the last 15 years....

Attachments

• Boat Cover 2.JPG
    Boat Cover 2.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 16
  • boat cover 1.jpg
    boat cover 1.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6666.jpg
    IMG_6666.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A center pole support with straps to the 4 corners might work as long as the pole is tall enough.

A bow to stern strap most likely will not work unless there is another support between the windshield and transom.

Aluminum bows (not FG or wood) is probably the best option, but they have to be long enough (to get the center up high), and they need to be spaced fairly close together.

BTDT. Option 3 worked best for me, but only until I got more than a foot of snow on top. The entire thing collapsed and I couldn't tell because then another foot came down and it all looked normal from way up at the house.

Option 4 has solved the problem quite well since 2005. Not only was the build quite reasonable but it gave me room to buy a classic woodie.

1705353808702.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
A center pole support with straps to the 4 corners might work as long as the pole is tall enough.

A bow to stern strap most likely will not work unless there is another support between the windshield and transom.

Aluminum bows (not FG or wood) is probably the best option, but they have to be long enough (to get the center up high), and they need to be spaced fairly close together.

BTDT. Option 3 worked best for me, but only until I got more than a foot of snow on top. The entire thing collapsed and I couldn't tell because then another foot came down and it all looked normal from way up at the house.

Option 4 has solved the problem quite well since 2005. Not only was the build quite reasonable but it gave me room to buy a classic woodie.

View attachment 393578
Your cover is similiar to mine. My cover is 24x40 with a second story for junk !! Never had to replace it, never leaks, and it works on multiple toys at the same time !!
However, I have to say that my second best cover is the semi truck tarp, that has been awesome.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I feel your pain. Going through the same thing with mine. Tried 3 different support strategies and thought had it figured out. All was well until the snow hit. Now I'm brooming it off 3x a week. Think I'll try a center pole support like dingbat suggested. Just waiting for a warm day, but looks like that warm day is a long way off.

Attachments

• Winter 23-24 05.jpg
    Winter 23-24 05.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3

airshot

Rear Admiral
I feel your pain. Going through the same thing with mine. Tried 3 different support strategies and thought had it figured out. All was well until the snow hit. Now I'm brooming it off 3x a week. Think I'll try a center pole support like dingbat suggested. Just waiting for a warm day, but looks like that warm day is a long way off.
If there is anyway to increase the angle so snow and water can run off easier ?? When I had covers I found the steeper the angle the better they shed and I had far less issues.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Mine just follows the angle of the windshield frame and for the 15 years I've been using it, has held up to even 5-10" of snow at one time. Probably because it has a front and rear ridge beam, with numerous cross braces to keep it from collapsing. I made wood side panels that attach to the windshield frame that the cross braces (fiberglass bows) fit into. It takes a bit of time to set up but I figure has saved me over $3000 in shrink wrap costs over those 15 years.
Here's an old pic of the complete frame, the only things I changed was to add a wood ridge beam to the front, the fiberglass bows were a little too flexible with snow loads. Also came up with a better way of mating the cross bows to the side windshield, made up a pair of wood panels that attach to the inside of the frame (in holes already there) and I added brackets that hold the bows in securely. Then just changed the # of bows, etc based on how well it held up. This whole thing takes maybe a half hr to 45 min to set up then it's good all winter. Could be adapted to any bowrider or dual console boat.
Don't know if you can see it but I put a hinge in that long rear ridge beam, so I can peel back the cover and open it up, leaving the rest in place. When I did my top end engine overhaul in 2017 we got a nice thaw in February went up to 60 degrees so I went at it and opened it up and removed the intake and heads, so I could get started before the season starts here in New York.
I will open it up when the weather is good to charge the batteries too.
boat cover frame.jpg

Last edited:

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I went over the windshield too, but I can tell from these pics that I don't have enough supports for the lower angle. Thinking a center support a foot or so taller than the windshield might work well. Either that or going to have to do something like Lou C did.

airshot

Rear Admiral
More fall is needed, raise the center support higher so water and snow shed off easier. The higher the better, if you can go two ft higher do it !!