water in pontoon

ROCKET UT

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all been a while actually 3 boats ago last time i asked questions. always get great answers here.
Inherited a 1986 sun tracker party barge 24 ft. it is in the water at a dock in utah from may to oct each year (for the last 15 years) This year i pulled it out early to do some engine maintenance., and noticed a water swishing noise when i stopped suddenly, the noise was coming from the port side middle (or center toon log.) I read up on how to pressure check the logs and built a jig to pressurize the chamber to approx. 5 lbs. found three pin holed in the nose cone log where the spray diffuser fin was rewelded on at some time in the past. See pics. I had two vent holes in the top of each toon one in the rear one in the middle but none up on the nose cone or chamber. i used some windshield fluid wiper hose with a small weight to go down the 3/8 vent holes pulled out 3 qts out of the middle toon and thought it was empty but when i pulled the trailer forward and stopped quick it sounded like the port nose cone was still sloshing water . problem there is no vent hole for the nose cone to pump the water out. i tried tilting the trailer 15 degrees up and 15 degrees down using the fwd vent hole ad the vacuum line but no water cane out. i know there are baffles in the logs but i cant get the water to move out of the front nose cone section.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drop a bit of stiff 5/16" tubing thru the top vent on the toon log portion.

with the tubing at the low point (best you can figure on the trailer) up against a the lower corner of the aft baffle, take a rag, an air nozzle and your hand. put the air nozzle to the hole (with the tube coming out) put the rag over it, and gently pressurize the log portion.

it will push the water up and out the tube.