Water in lower unit question

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
87 40HP Johnson

Had water in the lower unit and saw milky oil leaking out of the prop shaft seals. Replaced the prop shaft seals (drained the gearcase of course) re-filled the gearcase and took it out today. fished for about 4 hours, pulled the boat out and no oil leaking past the prop shaft seals.... so I'm thinking "great that fixed it)...

get it home and just for giggles I loosen the drain screw..... milky oil... not near as bad as before but there's definately water in the gearcase....

could this just be water that never drained before? The mixture was much thicker than before and darker but still obviously had water in it.

So.... where else could water be entering the gearcase? Or do I just need to drain and re-fill it a few times to get all the prior water out??

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in lower unit question

Could well be thicker and darker because you only had 4 hours on it. More time may result in more milk shake. Something is still not sealing. Just my 2 cents though.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Drive, and shift shaft. Bearing carrier O-ring. Drain, and vent screws, bearing carrier screws.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Did you replace the nylon washers on the drain screws ???