Water in gear oil?

Seaworthy1

Recruit
Is this water in my gear oil? Volvo DuoProp outdrive. I replaced the oil with Volvo Penta OEM gear oil at the end of last season. The oil came out looking like this after being wet slipped this season.

Doesn't water settle to the bottom? Does Volvo gear oil change from honey yellow to dark black as it is used? Is the green coloring water intrusion? This oil has been sitting for about a week so I was expecting to see water at the bottom, but I've read that the gear oils are formulated to keep up to 10% of water suspended. Is this so?

Volvo gear oil is honey colored and very light. Mercruiser oil has a green color to it when new that darkens as it gets used. I was thinking maybe the previous owner was using Mercruiser oil so this is some of the mixed residual oils as the drive was used and the gears spun, but I recall last year the oil came out rather dark.

The drain plug o-ring is extremely small on this drive and it typically gets pretty beat up after it is installed, so could it have come in from there? Last season the o-ring came out looking the same though. It was the proper volvo penta o-ring as well. All 3 o-rings get changed each season with Volvo Penta OEM proper o-rings.

What am I dealing with here? Is this definitely water intrusion? Should the water be settling to the bottom after being in a container like this for a week or two? The container I poured the oil into had a little residual antifreeze in it so that may be floating up top as well, but it minimal.

Debating if I should pull the drive and pressure test it.

3et0jn.jpg

Seaworthy1

Recruit
Looks like Merc lube to me with a bit of water
Maybe @muc has an answer
Thanks alldodge. That green definitely looks like it could be a mix of Merc/QuickSilver. I changed the oil last year with with Volvo gear oil, so would there be enough residual oil to change it this much?

I have seen pictures online of oil with water in it, but it almost always looks grey or you can see the obvious water in it.

A little residual antifreeze was in the container I poured the old oil in, and some water dripped out of the outdrive water passages and into the drain pan when I tipped the trailer down. So this oil may have a tiny bit of mixed fluids from that, but not a ton.

I'm leaving this oil to rest to see if it separates further, but I'm trying to decide if I need to pull it and pressure test it, or if I should run it. Hoping someone who has direct experience or has seen oil this color before can help out.

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely not all the lube came out. Have not seen lube look like that, nor stay that way letting it sit. Muc has mentioned before that to clean it out it can take 3 changes (just as I remember)

Would be interesting to see if it ever does seperate

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If its an older duo-prop one like mine, the drain plug behind the prop is hard to get the o-ring on without damaging it. I will wait until you come back with a model number. I have trick to put mine on without damaging it. Put electrical tape on the threads and then slide the o-ring over it then remove the tape. If you don't have that type of plug, disregard.

I would do a pressure test of the drive. Also, did you pull the drive to see if there is any water in the bellows?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If its an older duo-prop one like mine, the drain plug behind the prop is hard to get the o-ring on without damaging it. I will wait until you come back with a model number. I have trick to put mine on without damaging it. Put electrical tape on the threads and then slide the o-ring over it then remove the tape. If you don't have that type of plug, disregard.

I would do a pressure test of the drive. Also, pull the drive to see if there is any water in the bellows.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the emulsifier in the gear oil is working.
"Emulsifiers have been added to protect internal components in the event that water enters the gear case"

Differently water, but not much.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I think I`d pull the drive and pressure/vacuum test it just to be safe. It will also give you a look at the U joints and gimbal and check the alignment. I`ve experienced water and it was more of a milky cappuchino color when drained.