Water in exhaust?

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engines are J225TXESS (225hp 1990)

Trying to set up twins on a two year project boat, so forgive the number of posts coming:

Currently believe I'm not getting enough fuel to either engine.

My question: The port engine has water coming out with the exhaust through the exhaust port found on the rear of the engine. The starboard engine does NOT. Most importantly, SHOULD there be water coming through the exhaust port?

Also worthy of note: The starboard engine smokes a lot more than the port engine. Additionally, the starboard engine has what appears to be exhaust stains where the lower unit meets up with the rest of the engine (I forget the name for that piece)

Lastly, the water coming from the telltales: Starboard engine is warm water. Port engine is hot water.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Water in exhaust?

First get the factory service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com

Take compression of both engines and decide which one to fix first, leave the other engine alone. What you learn from engine #1 will teach you how to fix #2, otherwise you'll get seriously confused.
Theres multiple issues on both engines, it will be very difficult for anyone to help you with 2 engines at the same time.

If these engines are both new to you, pick the one with the best (even) compression.

Rebuild all the carbs on #1 with new carb kits,
replace water pump and change gear oil.
Draw some fuel from tank and examine for water seperation.
Then try running it.