Water in Cabin, won't dry out

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat has been sitting on it's trailer in my yard, mostly covered, for a couple of years. At some point, water got into the cabin and under the floor. I pumped out all the water in the sump, which drained out most of the water from under the floor to the sump through a small hole in the sump wall, but there's some carpet on the lower side walls that will not dry out, and I'm wondering if there's expanding foam under the floor that is saturated. Any ideas? ( the dark carpet near the floor is very wet. This is after pulling the floor and the rotted 1/4" plywood out about 4 days earlier)

I'm very much hoping that this boat is a woodless design.

wet floor.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Many boat companies still use wood

Start with a few test drills

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That got very wet. It'll take a long time to dry. it may be possible to add a hatch in that area, as stated, drill a hole in the middle carefully, stick a wire in there and see how deep it goes. You don't want to drill through the bottom of the hull. If there is space under there you can cut a square section out and get in there to clean it out and service the area in the future. This is why you always store bow up! Next is to find where the water is coming in. Normally at rest in the water it naturally drains aft, so it could have come through a hatch at the rear of the boat.

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention I'm running the AC 24/7 to help pull some moisture out.

I do store it bow up, but Its a step hull and Larson didn't put a automatic sump pump in the bow sump, so bow up doesn't help.