Water in bilge

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After every time I go out I pull the stern drain plug and a lot of water comes out. I'm talking what appears to be gallons. I have a 1991 19ft Starcraft Eurostar bow rider. It has a 4.3L Mercruiser with an Alpha One outdrive. There is a live well but plug is in it.I have some loose screws on my swim ladder that is mounted on the stern under the swim platform but don't think that is the problem. I've inspected every where for possible cracks in the hull with negative results.The last time there were only two people in the boat, me and my buddy and we trolled fished for 5 hours. Any ideas ?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Water in bilge

Get in there without running the motor,look at the transom area behind the motor. You may need a flashlight,look down low and high in the coupler/bellows area. If its leaking without the motor running it is probbally the bellows. If no leaks,then fire it up and carefully look for any leaks. Let us know what ya find.
Grub

tpenfield

Staff member

Common issue and there are a few threads going. No magic answers, just some looking in all the tough spots to get to, etc. my recommendation would be to do a process of elimination. Find out as best you can under what conditions it leaks. Engine running versus engine not running . . . Other factors, where else is there water in the boat? Water from rain or not.

then there is the looking inside the engine compartment at the transon, etc when it is in the water, hoses, etc. best done when the boat is in the water.

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could it be the hole that is at the bottom to the right of the drain plug hole that I think goes to my live well ?DSCN0275.JPG

tpenfield

Staff member

Probably the drain plug . . . screw-in type would be so much better than the rubber stopper.