Water going through rub rails, is this normal?

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am on the last lap on the restotation of a 1990 Maxium.. Just today as I was cleaning the interior for a final putting together, I decided to wash the outside before applying my new deck. At first, I could not believe it when I saw water spraying from the rub rail into the inside of the boat. I tried all around the rail, only to fins the same happenings. Is this normal? what should I do?:confused:

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water going through rub rails, is this normal?

Do I have to remove the rub rail to seal it??

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think you need to remove it but make sure all screws are tight, reinstall the rubber center piece and seal the top and bottom against the boat. This is something I need to do as well, some areas on mine are pulling away at the sealer and now have small gaps. Use something like 3m 4200 or equal.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know if 4200 is paintable, but I'm pretty sure most silicones aren't, so I'd be reluctant to use silicone. - Grandad

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if 4200 is paintable, but I'm pretty sure most silicones aren't, so I'd be reluctant to use silicone. - Grandad

I'm looking for something along the lines of 3m 4200 but clear and have yet to find it.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you have access from the inside all the way around, I'd seal it from there. What kind of Cap joint do you have? Shoe Box??

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, if you mean that the cap covers the body. The cap is rivitted on, and I can see the seam fro the inside.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Then I'd use the Marine silicone and caulk it from the inside and attempt get the caulk down in the seam as best as possible. Allow 48 hours cure time before boating.