Watch your boat at all times...

Jeff Peacock

Seaman
Just another not-so-happy reminder to keep an eye on the boat when launching and recovering. My wife and I went to Pigeon Lake (Alberta, Canada) yesterday to camp and fish. We launched the boat, and I spent about an hour fishing while she sat on the beach with the baby. When I returned, I beached the boat, walked to the truck, and backed the trailer down the launch. As I got halfway down the launch, I noticed someone reaching into my boat. They pulled hard on the fish-finder, and snapped the base off; must have seen me, because they dropped their stolen property and ran off. Thanks a bunch. At least I didn't lose the fish-finder, I just have to order a new base mount. Doesn't make one very happy, let me tell you. Watch your boat at the launch!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Watch your boat at all times...

Git a rope! :mad:

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

string 'em high bu their little toe!! :mad:

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hell.. I launch in Baltimore City. My boat isn't ever out of site. The people around there are cool but I don't trust any one. You know the old saying that the locks on your doors at home are just to keep the neighbors honest. Cant put a big lock on the boat and those folk are complete strangers that you may only see once in a life time.

eeboater

Commander

Did you chase after him? Or did you play peacekeeper and ignore him?<br /><br />butt-heads.<br /><br />Sean

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You need a canine first mate. Mine can be seen at www.acmeoutboards.com. Ted never lets anyone on our boat unless accompanied by HIS humans. They don't nag and they will fetch beverages without fail, if properly trained.<br />Clear skies, bound for Shanghai...

brother chris

Commander

Hey Canuck25....I feel your pain. <br />Full jerry can of gas,<br />250 gph bilge pump,<br />magnetic lights,<br />all stolen from my boat....right in my yard. <br />Well, the lights were stolen from my truck while I was out boating.<br />One of these days I'll catch one of them and they will be sorry. <br />I just got a 30' and I am putting a lock box in my boat so when I go to shore I can lock up all my stuff. <br />I still feel your pain Canuck25. <br />Sorry to hear about it.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

I did give chase, but I'm a bigger man- made much more for power than for speed, shall we say. They're lucky they didn't feel the power, let me tell you. 6'5", 250 lb of angry fisherman would not be something they'd forget. I guess it turned out to be a cheap lesson; the base mount for the unit is $10 American, and the swivel bracket is the same price, so at most, I'm out $300. Oh, I mean $30. I'm used to the conversion rate being so much worse :) . I'm lucky they dropped my finder in their haste to escape...that would have set me back a bunch.

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice

Boats are tough to protect. Even when covered, all it takes is some snap-undoing or cover-cutting ans they have access to anything in your boat. Mine is parked in the field portion of my yard, and I honestly fear for my stuff all the time. Luckily a life-vest and fishing pole is all I've ever lost out of her. I'm sorry to hear about your luck.

BillP

Captain

I can relate. Nothing stolen off my boat, but light lenses off my trailer have been stolen twice while I was out fishing. Another time I came motoring back to the ramp and someone was using my trailer behind another vehicle to winch out a mazda pickup truck that was dunked up to the headlights down the ramp. It was a bunch of drunks just leaving a wedding reception at the clubhouse next to the ramp. It's funny now but wasn't at the time.

D

DJ

Had a 10 HP Honda (kicker) stolen off of the back of the Whaler. At our private dock! :mad: They really wanted it because they messed up the transom pretty good defeating the lock.<br /><br />A buddy had his trailer stolen while we were out fishing. You talk about being SOL. We were 150 miles from home, Sunday night.<br /><br /> :mad: :mad: :mad:

mkuehnl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a sad sad world we live in...

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Grounds for murder as far as I'm concerned. Or at least a serious a$$ whipping.

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice

I has to make you wonder what happened to people's consciences! Maybe good people are the wierd ones, but if I took somebody's property, I would seriously feel bad every time I looked at it. To me, there is some joy to be found in looking at my things knowing I have worked hard to earn them. There is no life like an honest life, I don't care what anyone says!! <br /><br />It's bad when a weekend fishing trip turns into fear due to wondering what is going to be broken or stolen when you return.<br /><br />Sounds to me that these kinds of people need a boot to the head and a Bible in hand!! And out justice system says our kids are over-punished. HAHA

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember back in the day, when car stereos were mounted under the dash, one way to protect them was to mount razor blades to the back of the unit.<br />If someone tried to steal it by reaching up and pulling it down, it would really mess up their fingers.<br />Don't know what's worse, though. losing your gear or cleaning up the blood.<br /><br />I'm nervous every time I leave my boat.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

And we can only watch them so much; at some point, we'll eventually be on a lake where the beaching area or dock is not visible from the parking lot. That's what happened to me on the weekend, and I can think of two other lakes I fish regularly that have the same set-up. I guess the dog's the trick, perhaps. We have a black lab- time to train her to guard the boat. You're right, it is sad.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I too have had lenses stolen from my trailer while out boating. I've thought about wiring a very large charged capacitor to them. Goofy RCMP would probably charge me with intent to injure. Hmm... where can I put the razor blades on the lenses? Nowdays the blood can be a real health threat, be careful while cleaning it up.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jimmbo-<br /><br />I've thought about capacitors after my truck got broken into. Need to set up a camera, though, so you can replay the action later!<br /><br />Caps would discharge as soon as you dunk, plus you run the risk of getting yourself.<br /><br />If your lenses are screwed in, you could always use torx screws, or "security" screws.<br /><br />Any good boat alarms out there?