War movies

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I got to thinking about some of the better war movies I've seen and was wondering if anyone out there had a favorite that I hadn't seen. I think the best WWII movie out there is "Saving Private Ryan". When I went to see it, I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. I got my popcorn and soda and went into the theatre ready for a movie. For the opening scene, I sat there stone faced and wondering why I had to wait to see a Steven Spielberg movie to truly understand the sacrifice those young men made for me and my country. I felt guilty for coming to a movie expecting entertainment, I didn't touch the popcorn or the soda and ended up throwing them away. I know the plot was semi-fictional, but otherwise it was a very accurate representation of the assault on France.<br /><br />"The Patriot" was a pretty good revolutionary war movie with Mel Gibson, although I wouldn't consider it a really authentic portrayal.<br /><br />I liked "Glory" and "Cold Mountain" for civil war movies. "Full Metal Jacket" was a pretty good Vietnam era movie, and I thought the opening scene was a very accurate description of Marine boot camp at the time.<br /><br />What about some other authentic war movies?

D

DJ

Re: War movies

"A Band of Brothers". You think Saving Private Ryan was powerful.<br /><br />Other favorites:<br /><br />"Midway". Starring John Wayne. Glorified, yes, but still telling.<br /><br />"Tuskegee Airmen". Allot said, in that flick.<br /><br />"Memphis Belle"-Full of BS, but a somewhat accurtate description of the battles. <br /><br />I have an eyewitness-my father. He flew B-24's over almost all the European theaters and later in Korea flying B-29's, graduating to, B-36's, B-40's, B-50's and B-52's when he "checked out" of SAC.<br /><br />Now that he is 80+ years, he's started to open up a bit. That's something I have always asked questions of, with no answers. Read-too painful.<br /><br />I think he wants to share, but when I read his face, it's still PAINFUL.<br /><br />He was/is the "Greatest Generation" of American. Something we are losing.

D

DJ

NYM,<br /><br />I disagree. "A Band Of Brothers" is far more accurate and telling. But, you have to "buy" that series.<br /><br />Niether should be vewied in "mixed" company. Both are for the hard core history truth buffs.

Drowned Rat

Captain

DJ, Thanks for the list. I will check out "Band of Brothers" for sure, I've heard about it before. My dad is the same way. He flew F-4's two tours in Vietnam and then KC-135's the rest of his career including the 1st Gulf war. Also "checked out" with the death of SAC. I can get precious little information out of him about any of it. He did receive the distiguished flying cross in 'nam, but I don't know what for. I've tried searching the internet for medal receipients, but no luck.<br /><br />NYM, I think it was the up close and personal story of the soldiers that made that movie so good and so frightening. It's easy to disassociate yourself when you watch a large battle scene, but when you see an individual act of heroism or tragedy or both, you start to understand.

D

DJ

DR,<br /><br />Thank your dad, personally, for me. He had two fronts to fight on, the foreign one and the home soil. Not a good deal, by any stretch.<br /><br />I, for one, will salute him forever. As a fellow "desert rat" maybe I can do so myself. I'd gladly buy him dinner.<br /><br />Check out "Band of Brothers".<br /><br />As said, it is NOT for mixed company. Get ready, home alone, and be prepared to cry. I'll admit it, I did. The destiny of that crew was dubious, at best. They perservered. Thus generating the "Greatest Generation" moniker-well deserved.

Got to be Band of Brothers, not only because my Son in Law was costume master for the series but for the authenticity of it. Two of my grand daughters were in it ( very small parts,playing two 'working' girls on a balcony) and my grandson has met most of the 'real' people portrayed in it. I have the full DVD set of the series with the interviews and all. I watch it over and over, the feeling of actually being there is very intense.<br />Cheers.

D

DJ

Tyronutt,<br /><br />I think you "get it". <br /><br />My dad speaks fondly of the folks of the UK that treated our men so graciously, in times of dire need. For that. we, as USA citizens will be forever gratefull.<br /><br />From the US to the UK--Thanks.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the kind words DJ. Please thank your dad also. Man, I bet he's got some stories. The B-52 is a truely remarkable aircraft. I'm hoping my dad will be able to talk more one of these days as well. Looking forward to it.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

50yrs and the B52 is still being utilized today. <br /><br />network: Military Channel <br />series: Firepower <br /> <br />episode: Strategic Air Power <br /> ... Jun 25 2005 @ 05:30 PM. Firepower. Strategic Air Power. No aircraft is a better symbol of the power of Strategic Air Command than the B-52 Stratofortress bomber ... <br /><br />airing: — Jun 24 2005 @ 10:30 PM [ remind me ]<br />— Jun 25 2005 @ 01:30 AM [ remind me ]<br />— Jun 25 2005 @ 06:30 AM [ remind me ]

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

While maybe not on par with Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan, I'm suprised none mentioned "The Thin Red Line"..<br /><br />I'd have to say Band of Brothers series is #1 on my list, with Saving Private Ryan a very close second..<br /><br />Glory, The Tuskegee Airmen, Full metal jacket, The Thin Red Line, and, even though it may not be considered a true "war movie" by some; Good Morning Vietnam.. All of them worthy of watching, anytime..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Saving Private Ryan is an exceptional film that very convincingly portrays an accurate view of history.<br /><br />Band Of Brothers is very personal for me. The 101st held war games in my neighborhood in 1943. A squad dug in in our back yard and my siblings and I took them hot coffee and sandwiches and became friends with several. My older sister corresponded with their SGT until Christmas of 1944. The squad were all killed at Bastogne.<br /><br />Gen. McCauliff (sp?) was a frequent guest at our home. Mom gave parties for the men from Camp Mackall, Ft. Bragg and the Air Corps school that was just down the road.<br /><br />Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg undertook Band Of Brothers with Steven Ambrose in the same spirit with which they had done Saving Private Ryan. Two masterpieces of history telling.<br /><br />My children gave me the Band Of Brothers DVD set for Fathers Day, so now I can watch it anytime I please.<br /><br />Nothing else I have seen or read so powerfully tells why they were the greatest generation from the greatest country.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

saving private ryan is unsupassed in realism ,I watch it regulary although the wife finds the opening scenes to upsetting to watch ,band of brothers is also excellent

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Band of Brothers is my alltime favorite, But COMBAT is the show that made me a history lover. I loved this show a kid, and now that they are releasing it on DVD, I can watch it for hours.<br />I also really liked:<br />A Bridge too Far, this is really, really good' <br />The Dirty Dozen,<br />Kelly's Hero's, is just good entertainment,<br />Run Silent Run Deep<br />PATTON, is a favorite,<br />Tora, Tora, Tora is great,<br />Saving Private Ryan,<br />Where Eagles Dare is awsome,<br />Midway,<br />They Were Expendable,<br />Tewlve-O-Clock High,<br />The Longest Day,<br />The Great Escape is awsome,<br />Victory is pretty Good<br />These I could watch over and over, as I have.<br /><br />Spud

crab bait

Captain

pork chop hill ( korea ) awlsome..<br /><br />all quite on the western front ( ww 1)<br /><br />heaven knows mr. allison <br />( a great war movie not so much for bombs & blood but for acting & story ) <br /><br />andersonville ( civil war pow camp )

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

1) Patton<br />2) Band of brothers<br />3) Saving Private Ryan<br /><br />I hate to have to put an order on them. I am currently reading a military biography of Patton. The movie was dead on. George C Scott gave an accurate portrayal, the likes of which I don't think has ever been duplicated.<br /><br />I just bought the DVD on ebay. It'll be good to watch it again after reading the book.<br /><br />It's interesting to note that the book "PATTON, a study in command" was written by an English Major. He sights four examples wherbeby if Eisenhower had taken his advice the war would have been over 6 months earlier. And that came from an Englishman who you'd think would have sided with Montgomery.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

BAND OF BROTHERS by far. Best documentry is by far Victory at Sea, the opening credits with that fablous musical score send shivers down your spine......