War in Iraq

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: War in Iraq

BTW, I'm surprised that very people here ever comment about the fact that Bin Laden was found in Afghanistan. Perhaps the story never made the US newstands?.....
Not even a hint, nary a peep .... Stan-Deezy.<br />We did get the news that the British solgier is a good one. And the familys of those solgiers deserve a warm thank you from all of US.<br />Help spread the word for me please. ;) :) <br /><br />BTW, does anyone have a good link to the story about Saddam behind an assasination plot against Bush#1 ??

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

nope<br /> its a story that has been told for some years. about the same story as Pat roberston on international tv, a former presidential candidate, calling for the assasination of a democratically elected president.<br /> while he may have done it, osammy also issued a fatwa on saddamy about the same time.<br /> and certainly not anyworse than some of the botched and bungled assasination attepmts on castro. ya just cant have it both ways. either assasinations from anyside is acceptable or assasinations from any side is not acceptable. cant have just assasinations called for by the US as acceptable and anyother country is not acceptable. <br /> in my opinion all calls for assasinations should be delt with swiftly and harshly, pat should have been hauled off the studio in cuffs before the end of the show.<br /> so some "raghead" wanted an assasination. seems they holler on TV all the time about this or that and here or there. not much of a way to stop it other than human intel on the ground, something that seems to have come apart somewhat.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br />
BTW, I'm surprised that very people here ever comment about the fact that Bin Laden was found in Afghanistan. Perhaps the story never made the US newstands?.....
Not even a hint, nary a peep .... Stan-Deezy.<br />...
do a google search using "bin laden tora bora" and you'll see several reports from major us publications (time, newsweek, washington post, etc.)...

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Skinnywater, its close to the story I was referring to. As best I can remember it happened early in the campaign. When my buddy gets back from his latest escapade I'll try and get more details (sober this time lol!)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

skinnywater and stan<br /> I have read those same reports but still cant get a solid confirmation but some of them appear credible.<br /> but what we do know for a fact after inspecting airline records is in the 24 hours to 1 week after the 9/11 incedents quite a few of the bin laden family was quitely put off limits by the current administration and quietly whisked out of the US. long before the public was told who was behind the events.<br /> to me it seems we lost a chance for some decent real time intel. interrogating a prisoner a month after capture does not work in this type conflict, as soon as someone is captured that may have intel the plans get changed. there is no one person that has all the plan details. its how the CIA trained them. you have to admit the taliban,al queda and some others did have the best training in terror,subversiveness and disruption of a large force with a smaller one was given by the best trainers in the world.<br /> its now coming home to roost.<br /> seems the students are now becoming the teachers.<br /> if the world wants to know how the false intel and harrassing moves work they only need to ask the russians. the US trained the Russian enemy well.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Rodbolt, I have heard the stories too about the bin laden family being put "out of reach" and it worries me considerably. What possible reason could your administration have for making such a move? I shudder to think...........

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

just got back from iraq,<br /><br />im in the mil. not going to say where i was but it was hairy. our guys are there for freedom ours and theirs. ours you ask? the freedom for our lifestyles. how much is gas worth to you? 5, 10, 20 dollars a gallon. our economy would collapse if fuel would cost 20$ a gal. is it worth to die for, h@!! no. ask their families also. do you want to get on a bus and wory about getting blown up? iraq's freedom well they don't know what it is. about 20% of iraq does not want freedom or anything to do with american idilogies so they strap bombs to themselvs in the hope that when they die for their cause they will recieve their 72 virgins. the other 80 something % i wonder if they like us or just to scared to admit anything for fear of their lives. we are going to be there(in iraq) for a long time....

QC

Supreme Mariner

cwilt,<br /><br />THANK YOU!!!!! You are a hero!!!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> I really don't understand your position 12 footer.<br /><br />First off, just because there were some spineless dems who were afraid to appear "soft" on terrorism, does not justify anything.
<br />Do you think i disagree with that or something? I don't get the seperation you elude to. To me, words mean things. To me, "apearing soft on terrorism" is American suicide regardless of which party you are at.<br /><br />I'm not upset over the lefties i posted quotes of, expressing their solidarity with US policy, if that is what you are thinking. I am upset over the left talking out of both sides of their mouths (as usual).<br />It upsets me that folks listen to them now, but ignore their recorded comments, in an effort to make it appear that BUSH alone, went to war without them!<br />It illustrates the total, rank hypocracy of the left and their present tack.<br />It's time they are held accountable for their historic stand on the war on terror, and expose their hypocracy for what is is... Which is a witch hunt IMHO.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />I can't understand why the repubs want to block a thorough investigation of what went wrong with the intelligence, and why it went wrong. Because it clearly was wrong. Surely if the were a "plot" by the CIA, it would reveal itself.
I guess you didn't read the news today, or your post predates the news i heard (don't know which, nor do i care), because I'll C&P the entire thing to bring you up to speed on just how the majority is responding to all of this:<br /><br />"Dear Chairman Hoekstra and Chairman Roberts: We request that you immediately initiate a joint investigation into the possible release of classified information to the media alleging that the United States government may be detaining and interrogating terrorists at undisclosed locations abroad. As you know, if accurate, such an egregious disclosure could have long-term and far reaching, damaging and dangerous consequences. It will imperil our efforts to protect the American people and our homeland from terrorist attacks. The purpose of your investigation will be to determine the following: Was the information provided to the media classified and accurate? Who leaked this information, and under what authority -- and what is the actual and potential damage done to the national security of the United States and our partners in the global war on terror? We will consider other changes to this mandate based on your recommendations. Any information that you obtain on this matter that may implicate possible violations of law should be referred to the Department of Justice for appropriate action. We expect that you will move expeditiously to complete this inquiry and that you will provide us with periodic updates. We are hopeful that you will be able to accomplish this task in a bipartisan manner, given general agreement that intelligence matters should not be politicized. Either way, however, your inquiry shall proceed," meaning: The Democrats go along with it? Fine. If they don't? Fine. The inquiry shall proceed. "The leaking of classified information by employees of the US government appears to have increased in recent years, establishing a dangerous trend that if not addressed swiftly and firmly, likely will worsen. The unauthorized release of classified information is serious and threatens our nation's security. It also puts the lives of many Americans and the security of our nation at risk. Thanks for your prompt attention to this matter, Bill Frist, majority leader, US Senate; J. Denny Hastert, speaker, US House of Representatives." <br />Bill Frist. Denny Hassert!<br />There is a coverup for sure, PW. My question is WHO leaked this stuff to Novak to begin with. This is an EXTREMELY serious breach of national security...MY national, YOUR national. The left just wants to get Bush, no matter how many Delay's and Roves it takes!<br />Bush is going to clean the CIA's house out, and it's long overdue, PW. Classified means classified, regardless of left,right or Alqeuda.<br />Your mistake, (and it's a common one amoung the left) is that you think the Bush admin is behind a consipacy to lie to the American people to bring us into a war...This, after 9/11. This, after lefty and neocon alike acted on the intel they had. This with the CIA not only obstructing progress, but "allowing" for leaks --but only if the leak could implicate the right somehow. and no wonder Bush is cleaning house n the CIA and state dept.!<br /><br /> The left has been indicting the right, but they forgot an old parable: "Be carefull what oyu wish for. You just might get it"<br />I hope you are prepaired to "investigate" the investigators in addition to your political enemies.<br /><br />
Originally posted by PW2:<br /><br />Surely it is in the best interests of every American for their leaders to get accurate, reliable, timely intelligence--and how can we possibly improve it if we block trying to find out what went wrong?
The CIA's purpose is to gather intelegence. It's not their duty to leak it. And don't get me started on Sandy Burglar while, after his tratorous acts of covert theft and destruction, he is STILL a free man!<br />He should be bummin smokes and sharing facilities with Sadamn Insane.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by J.kopec:<br /> "12" what does "Jeb" have to do with it? I believe he was elected in 1998, I remember my mom & dad *****in' about it.....Is Florida 8 & out? It would be nice to be "Bush Free" by 2009...."W" should blame "dad"....He was the DCI & sat in "JR's" present seat.....Enough of the nepotism! Thank Heaven that all the Bush kids are criminals & we will be finally rid of this family.....JK
Sorry about that. I sometimes forget that the majority of forum members do not know of the "get-Bush" movement here if Florida over Jeb.<br />Just ignore those comments if they mean nothing to you. After all, he is OUR governor, not yours, and so he is irrelevant to you---for now, anyway.<br />Jeb for PRESIDENT! :D Katherine Harris for VP!! :D

Skinnywater

Commander

cwilt;
"......we are going to be there(in iraq) for a long time...."
cwilt, the respect, honour and pride that I feel for the troops, and familys, bring a tear to my eye often.<br /><br />12' ;
"Your mistake, (and it's a common one amoung the left) is that you think the Bush admin is behind a consipacy to lie to the American people to bring us into a war...This, after 9/11. This, after lefty and neocon alike acted on the intel they had."
Twelve, back about the time when Powell was giving his package of causes to the UN when he was essentially declaring war against Saddam Hussien, there were substantial numbers of "fundamental conservatives" that had very serious reservations. Yet they were willing to give their recently elected President the benefit of the doubt and rely on facts to accumulate over time.<br />While a fundamental conservative would recognize alternatives such as Gore, Kerry and their ilk repugnant. It is increasingly evident that BOTH sides in Washington are proving to be incapable of leading this country to better times.<br />I respect why you defend your "Commander In Chief".<br />However please understand, while a conspiracy isn't my beleif my disappointment in his performance regarding his competency and representation to those fundamental conservatives that contributed greatly to his election and re-election is justified.<br />He and the Republican party have ruined a historic (and potentially glorious) House, Senate and Executive majority positions from great expectations into even more difficult times....for shame.<br /><br /><br />BrettNC;
"He smoked your a-s on that one PW."
Like a 1982 Renault Le Car in South Central,....Paris. :D :D

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Every war since Vietnam has been fought and screwed up the same way. Ever since the media in this country turned against us and the people lost the will to be winners, our battles have gone down this way. We have an amazing military, they are true heros. Americans USED to stand behind our country and our leaders, we used to want to win a war. Sadly our politicians no longer LEAD this country, they follow this country. Yes, we do expect our leaders to respect our wishes, after all we do elect them, I can only speak for myself, but I elect LEADERS....not FOLLOWERS ! The idea that you can wage war and win opinion polls in this day and age is rediculous. The idea that you can send warriors into battle to be shot and killed or to shoot and kill.....only to be sent to trial and charged with war crimes is nuts. Warriors can only be trained for one purpose....to win a war and to KILL the enemy....the are NOT police officers and the scum they are fighting are not citizens.<br />If we continue to fight this or any war like it as a police action, we will fail....just like Vietnam. Want to solve the problem in Iraq and quit losing our boys ? Take the handcuffs off of them and let them be the warriors they are!! Tell Congress and the media to get on our side....support our troops ! Lets fight this war like WWII, get behind our troops, let them kill the bad guys and come home ! If you can't stand the idea of our troops killing people, and not second guess them....move to France.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I like that, you nailed it. our military is NOT a police force, there is no formal declaration of war, if there is post it. so our military should not be a police force, korea and veitnam and a few other minor conflicts should have taught that lesson. are we at war with Iraq or a few malcontents? exactly who are we at war with and what uniform and chain of command do we deal with?<br /> seems rumsfeld promised a war that would take 6 weeks,6 months max about 3 1/2 years ago, now he is saying 8 to 12 more years. and the results,with no course change, will be the same.<br /> I do agree we have the best military on the planet, dedicated officers and enlistees, however some are not doing a good job and it affects the image of the rest. look up how many soldiers have been charged and convicted of murdering prisoners, some while they had their hands cuffed.<br /> like vietnam this affects our troops, its difficult to train to kill soldiers and end up killing civilians. <br /> i to elect leaders, however i expect my leaders to try to keep us out of quagmires. <br /> water0ne<br /> can you name who we are at war with?<br />or how to win it or who declared a formal war? i cant.<br /> but i know we are not on the right track. sometimes ya either change course or run aground and get mired in the mud.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't find anything remotely similar to what you are talking about regarding soldiers being charged with murdering prisoners. Where can I find this information?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br /> cwilt;
12' ; "Your mistake, (and it's a common one amoung the left) is that you think the Bush admin is behind a consipacy to lie to the American people to bring us into a war...This, after 9/11. This, after lefty and neocon alike acted on the intel they had."
Twelve, back about the time when Powell was giving his package of causes to the UN when he was essentially declaring war against Saddam Hussien, there were substantial numbers of "fundamental conservatives" that had very serious reservations. Yet they were willing to give their recently elected President the benefit of the doubt and rely on facts to accumulate over time.<br />While a fundamental conservative would recognize alternatives such as Gore, Kerry and their ilk repugnant. It is increasingly evident that BOTH sides in Washington are proving to be incapable of leading this country to better times.<br />I respect why you defend your "Commander In Chief".<br />However please understand, while a conspiracy isn't my beleif my disappointment in his performance regarding his competency and representation to those fundamental conservatives that contributed greatly to his election and re-election is justified.<br />He and the Republican party have ruined a historic (and potentially glorious) House, Senate and Executive majority positions from great expectations into even more difficult times....for shame.
I think that the fact that neocons like me are placed in the predicament of defending the president after every "get bush" attack, has us bit 'shell-shocked' in general.<br />No doubt and for all the world, it makes us sound like Bush simply cannot do any wrong. But then, we are never responsive to posts regarding his deplorable treatment of our borders, or domestic spending that makes Clinton look conservative in comparison. WHY? Because you simply do not invoke argument. We rest our typin-fingers and mutter to ourselves; "yup".. But THE WAR ON ISLAMIC TERROR is very serious and very real. <br />It invokes a response of defense equal to our disgust at the left's comparing it to Veitnam, thier defense of the enemy's "motivations" (an example: "They have good reasons to hate Americans" for one). And have you heard the left on capital hill berating the spending on the war?<br />Not enough spending on natural disasters?<br />How about their use in discussions of the body count? <br />Comparing the war to Vietnam?<br />War crimes (Abu Greib/Club G'itmo)?<br />arrogance?<br />This is not acceptable from these same whiners calling themselves "American" in times of war.<br />Can you fathom the boundless degree of comfort and encouragement championed by these "Americans" has given the enemy we now fight?<br />Isn't one life (American or otherwise) too high a price to pay from such aid, encouragement and comfort?<br />It surely is to me.<br />After the "Koran-flushing" campaign by the American left and Aljazeerah media, people died with virtualy no reason other than a lie!<br />The way i see it, that should disgust anyone other than the enemy.<br />As for your disappointemnt in Bush, it is shared by a great many neo-cons like me, who think he should answer-up and take the fight to the Sadamn sympathizers on the left, and those overseas. <br />We want to see Bush shine-up his brass and see his claws come out (if he has any), and not only defend his stand, but attack the left for abandoning their country in times of war -- you know, stuff like that. Take it to em, as it were.<br />Some of us simply cannot afford higher taxes, let alone, our natural abhorance of taxation in the first place.<br /><br />You're not allone, be you left or right, in your disagreements with some of Bush's domestic coddling and patronizing of the left....Believe me, he made more enemies on the right, than allies on the left thru his attempts at "compassionate conservatism". Some of us neocons wish to blow chunks when we hear him offer the lefties an olive branch after they accuse him of lying or "sending our boys to war", oir some other cliche' poop. We want him to use his office to do the things WE WANT! After all, that's how he got the votes. We want the CIA and federal courts cleaned-up YESTERDAY. <br />We want political lifer dinosaurs like Kennedy to take a swim (we know he still can).<br /><br />We want victory on the war on islamic terror, with a minimum of allied casualties.<br /><br />We want war crimes punished to the full extent of the law -- we should start with Sadamn himself and the "guests" at Club G'itmo.<br />Trial? "We dont need no stinking trial".(just jivin). :) <br /><br />The left's fight for the wrong side often has me questioning their priorities big-time! <br />They place national defense/national security below "getting Bush", because getting Bush is their priority. All i am saying is that this is twisted and perverse IMHO.<br />Let me try to explain my opinion a bit.<br /><br />The way things are currently heading, some of us on the right are predicting Ted Kennedy and Chucky Shuemer will be called as whitnesses for the defense of Sadamn Huesien's upcomming trial!!<br /><br />That's just sick. but it promisses to be quite productive from a criminal defense attourney's view (no doubt.