Wanting to upgrade motor on a pontoon boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

depty933

Cadet
Re: Wanting to upgrade motor on a pontoon boat

Since my boat was built in 1992/1993 and it was rated for 90 HP at the time, I have to assume that the 90 HP J/E was an option to be placed on my boat. What I have found was that during that time period a 90 HP J/E weighed the same as the 115 HP. Here:
V4 1632 cc platform, 85/88/90/100/115 HP 1992 Evinrude 20 288 elec st/man tilt1992 Evinrude 20 301 elec st/trim tilt1992 Evinrude 25 311 elec st/trim tilt

So....if the 90 weighs the same as the 115 the transom must have been able to handle the weight. So, weight must not be an issue. It would be up to me to control and not abuse the transom with the added Horse power.

depty933

Cadet

Roger, I know. I researched the motor a lot before I bought it. The Johnson's and Evinrude's are my favorite but I think the Tohatsu is the best kept secret as far as reliability and cost for an outboard. It really runs great. (Dog gone Japs)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, they're good motors. My uncle has a fifty on his duck boat and I covet it greatly. Of course I covet the boat too.:p

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 33, Volume 2, Parts 125 to 199]
[Revised as of July 1, 1999]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 33CFR183.53]

[Page 754-757]

NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED)

PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart D--Safe Powering

Sec. 183.53 Horsepower capacity.

The maximum horsepower capacity marked on a boat must not exceed the
horsepower capacity determined by the computation method discussed in
paragraph (a) of this section, or for certain qualifying boats, the
performance test method discussed in paragraph (b) of this section.

There is a section in this regulation that gives you the formula to calculate max hp. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

depty933

Cadet

This is for boats 20' or less with a single hull. Pontoons don't have single hulls and mine is a 24'. Therefore this rule doesn't apply to my boat.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

depty933, I have to agree with you on the 115 for a 90. I don't think that would hurt the boat. If I wanted to do that I would also redecal the motor as a 90 or get a 90 cover.

You have to understand that you open yourself up to possible legal consequenses by exceeding the rating on the plate. I knew what I was doing and was willing to take the risk. The risk of consequenses where you live may be worse than mine were. I suggest you look into that.

If you slap that 115 on make sure you prop it right, I blew a V4 85 OMC up a few years ago pulling it off a 17 footer and putting it on my 24 Manitou without repropping. It lugged it way down for about 5 minutes of WOT and then burned her up. :eek:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you want to exceed your boat's hp rating that's your business, but don't expect deceptive decals to help if you're involved in an accident. Just something to consider.

vbevans

Recruit

SD Flyer: Good response, thanks.

KDAVID1: I know this will "T-off" some and I mean no disrespect to the individual members of the CG, but f--- the Coast Guard Regs!! The fact of the matter is the feds have no constitutional authority of ANY kind to regulate personal pleasure craft.

Thread subject: In spite of the advice of Incoop and others I repowered my 24' Party Barge (cap plate rating: 115hp) with an Evinrude 150. I first rebuilt the transom to ensure that it was strong enough to handle the extra weight and power. The weight of this motor is about 100 lbs heavier than any 115hp motor built in the same era. It does cause the boat to sit lower in the stern and I experienced some drag issues with the exposed flooring girders. I solved that by skinning the underside with metal sheet. Still experimenting with prop pitch and depth the obtain max performance, but the boat loves the extra push and handles very nicely. Caution: if you are not used to the extra speed/power and you live on a busy lake as I do, be aware that porpoising when crossing a wake is magnified considerably. It's much easier to take an unexpected bath :) Beyond that, SD Flyer was certainly right about the increased fuel consumption!!! Have to pay the piper somewhere.

depty933

Cadet

Having access to certain selected decisions as I do, I have researched all morning and I have yet to find where someone was held liable in an accident simply because they overpowered their boat. To be held liable you must be in violation of the boating "rules of the road" no matter what boat you are operating. With that said, I am not saying you will not be in violation of some rule or law on the state level stating that you are not to operate a boat in excess of maximum horse power. This would equal an equipment violation like not having brake lights on your car. I am simply stating that as long as someone operates thier boat responsibly they should be fine. Use some common sense.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I am simply stating that as long as someone operates thier boat responsibly they should be fine. Use some common sense.

I couldn't agree more. The question is, what constitutes operating one's boat responsibly and using common sense? Is overpowering a boat responsible? Clearly, it depends on who you ask. I'm not being sarcastic, nor am I trying to tell you what to do. As I said before, it's your decision. But, IF God forbid you are ever involved in an accident on the water and a plaintiff's attorney learns your boat was overpowered (which he/she will), all the access to selected decisions in the world won't help you.

depty933

Cadet

Incoop, I see your point. The argument would be is it responsible in and of itself to overpower a boat? My position is that it is the responsibility of every boater to operate thier boat responsibly regardless of how your boat is powered. I rarely see pontooners acting irresponsibly, even those with large 100+ HP motors that are capable of higher speeds. The reckless ones I see are those dang jet skiers. Oops, I'll bet I just opened up a whole new can of worms.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

SD Flyer: Good response, thanks.

KDAVID1: I know this will "T-off" some and I mean no disrespect to the individual members of the CG, but f--- the Coast Guard Regs!! The fact of the matter is the feds have no constitutional authority of ANY kind to regulate personal pleasure craft.

Thread subject: In spite of the advice of Incoop and others I repowered my 24' Party Barge (cap plate rating: 115hp) with an Evinrude 150. I first rebuilt the transom to ensure that it was strong enough to handle the extra weight and power. The weight of this motor is about 100 lbs heavier than any 115hp motor built in the same era. It does cause the boat to sit lower in the stern and I experienced some drag issues with the exposed flooring girders. I solved that by skinning the underside with metal sheet. Still experimenting with prop pitch and depth the obtain max performance, but the boat loves the extra push and handles very nicely. Caution: if you are not used to the extra speed/power and you live on a busy lake as I do, be aware that porpoising when crossing a wake is magnified considerably. It's much easier to take an unexpected bath :) Beyond that, SD Flyer was certainly right about the increased fuel consumption!!! Have to pay the piper somewhere.

I agree with you. My thought was just to add info that may be useful for the subject in some way--maybe a swing and a miss:)

suncruiser24

Cadet

Decided to chime in. Newer 4 stroke motors are hp rated at the prop shaft, while older 2 stroke motors were hp rated at the engine. A 70 hp 4 stoke is probably as good as a 90 hp 2 stroke. New power plants are the "big buck" answer. Remember, a boat is much like an aircraft when it comes to power vs speed. To double your speed, you have to quad your power.

I'm running a 70 hp, 2 stroke on my 24' Suncruiser. Wanted to "step her up". Weighed all approaches, and the cost involved. Went with a Pontoon Water Glide system. Speed up, fuel consumption down . Worked out well enough on my boat, that I became a dealer for them.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Googled "water glide". Looks interesting but spendy...

The You Tube before and after videos are impressive but offer no number comparisons that I saw...

That to me is where the proof would lie, not how something looks on video.

Dwight

suncruiser24

Cadet

In a nut shell, the "Water Glide" system is two fold: (1) It's an undersheeting compnent (2) It's, to use the best term, a 3.5' x 10.5' (basic measurments) planing hull.

There are some basic measurments on the toon depth, etc., that Water Glide needs, to give you the porper install position. They provide the entire kit (undersheeting and the glide, "R" & "D" distances, etc..) You can install entire kit, w/ boat on trailer in a good day.

My 24' Suncruiser improved in speed, lower fuel consumpton and turns in about 1/2 the radius. I'm retired, but it works well enough, I became a dealer. Call me, I'll answer any questions honestly, and I mean honestly. 309-840-1586

Checked it out on their website. Clever idea for pontoons. I think it would absolutely work because it does for the pontoon what my middle toon does on my tritoon.

I would go so far as to advise a newbie pontoon buyer to buy a used tritoon rather than a new pontoon if budget is an issue. The tritoon is that much more stable, safe and efficient in the water. Especially in choppy or rough water. I could see this Water Glide providing at least a
portion of those same attributes for a pontoon.

What does the Water Glide kit cost??

suncruiser24

Cadet

Complete Water Glide kit: Undersheeting and water glide system w/ all necessary stainless steel hardware and necessary positioning meausrments (you will need to provide WG with specific tube depth measurments: tube diamenter, rear tube depth, front tube depth, tube depth @ 50", 60" & 72" from rare tube end, plus prop shaft depth below tube bottom) this will allow them to run the numbers through their computer program and determine fore/aft mounting position along with any (if necessary) WG top trim measurmentd (WG needs to set approx 1.5-2" in water).

Great system - does what is says will do. I'll be glad to discuss the entire program. Cost with freight, give or take, $2200 - easy install, with boat on trailer. For a no BS conversation: Randy @ Midwest Motor Sports, 309-840-1586 - See us in Feb 2012 at the 58th Boat and RV Show, Indianapolis, In.

Boat safe!!!!!

crushermg

Recruit

Does anyone know how to determine the HP on an older Pontoon that does not have the HP rating readable any longer. I have 24' Sylvan that currently has a 25 Hp motor on it. It is severely under powered. However I cannot determine the maximum hp rating for this boat. I have a 65 HP Merc available and want to utilize this motor if possible. However the moret than 100% Hp increase has me concerned.

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know how to determine the HP on an older Pontoon that does not have the HP rating readable any longer. I have 24' Sylvan that currently has a 25 Hp motor on it. It is severely under powered. However I cannot determine the maximum hp rating for this boat. I have a 65 HP Merc available and want to utilize this motor if possible. However the moret than 100% Hp increase has me concerned.

My 25 hp toon has a max rating of 40 hp. If you don't have the manufacturer's plate on with the motor rating on it then you have bigger problems than wondering if the motor is too much. As others here have pointed out, your insurance co may have something to say about the larger motor size, if the hull is not rated for it.

UB

Status
Not open for further replies.