Wanting to upgrade motor on a pontoon boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wanting to upgrade motor on a pontoon boat

.....Regrettably, a major component of the American spirit you invoke is an historic level of litigiousness, and boats rated for 115 hp but powered by 150 are a litigant's dream. The capacity plates are there for a reason.

Absolutely right, the plaintffs lawyers will love you!

SC202, there is an enormous difference between overpowering cars vs boats.

thank you mr crabb and incoop you both made the case for me ,

I will quit trying to improve performance and go sit on the front of my pontoon . Because I am afraid of getting in a lawsuit ??

Did you guys wear one of those bike helmets when you rode bikes as a kid ?

Take off the helmet and live life !

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I will quit trying to improve performance and go sit on the front of my pontoon . Because I am afraid of getting in a lawsuit ??

Not only because you're afraid of a lawsuit, but hopefully because you're afraid of hurting or killing someone with your foolish behavior. As many have advised, one of whom is a metal man for one of the premier pontoon manufacturers, overpowering a boat is a bad idea. If you are convinced the only way to "improve performance" is to compromise your boat and the safety of everyone around you then there's no point in discussing it further. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go to the front of my pontoon to look for my bike helmet.:rolleyes:

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was much younger I was involved in the hp increases of a lot of different cars. Part of these projects was always improving suspension and body strength to handle the extra power.

If someone wants to add power to their boat and they improve the handling (add a tube if needed)and reinforce the motor pod and frameing if needed then as far as I'm concerned go ahead. However if they are just going to add 30%+ more power and weight on a sytem not designed to handle it that's just foolish.

Glenn

vbevans

Recruit

Gee, where to start?

SC202: Well said. I am not nor was I looking for a "yes man" as Incoop suggests. Just believe a thoughtful discussion of "whys" and "wherefores" benefits all.

Incoop: Not everyone who tries something "outside the known universe" is "irresponsible". A lot of nay sayers thought Henry Ford's contraption was a danger to society also. Thank God he persevered.

Finally, Water Logged: Are you kidding me?! Re-read my first post and your response objectively. Who was being disrespectful and who's comment contributed nothing to the forum. The thin air in the Arizona high country must be oxygen starving your brain. With all due respect, of course.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

It wasn't my intention to suggest you were looking for a yes man, although I can understand why you would infer that from my previous comments. You asked specific questions regarding the potential ramifications of exceeding the manufacturer's specifications on your boat and we could have done a better job of addressing them, so please consider the following and accept that I am not flaming you.

1. Subjecting your barge's structure to greater weight and torque than it was designed for (especially that much more) will result in damage. Will your motor pod fall off the first time you let the hammer down? Probably not, but over time you'll discover things like cracked welds and loosened screws/bolts and likely other issues that don't come immediately to mind. Could the boat's structure be improved to accomodate the modification? Sure, but unless you possess a specialized knowledge of boat engineering (and you may) how will you know whether your improvements are sufficient? Regardless of what anyone may say or think the manufacturers have people on staff who run numbers and test hulls every day, and I promise they are qualified to determine what their products are capable of handling.

2. You asked what anomalies one might expect to result from exceeding spec. The first thing that comes to mind is the increased depth to which the back of the boat would be submerged. This would adversely impact handling because it would of course result in the front of the boat being higher than intended and the rear of the boat being lower than intended. The adverse reaction could be mitigated somewhat by the proper use of PT&T, but not enough to elminate the potential for flipping the boat. There would also be the decrease in weight capacity to be considered, and it wouldn't be a matter of simply subtracting the extra weight of the motor, because the weight would be hanging off the back of the boat. There again, an engineering background would be necessary to arrive at a number.

3. Before Henry Ford's "contraption" was mass produced and sold to the public it was engineered according to specifications that would make it safe for general public use. Sound familiar? Furthermore, comparing a Model T to a 24' party barge is as relevant as comparing a buckboard to a bowrider.

4. I have no problem with "trying something outside the known universe", but regardless of anyone's opinion an overpowered boat is dangerous and yes, irresponsible. That is a fact that is not debatable, inside or outside the known universe, which is why insurance companies will deny claims for accidents involving them and attorneys and LEOs will investigate said accidents every time.

As to your question of whether you are a d****d fool; only you can answer that.;)

Hey incoop ,

Well said , I respect your opinion .

But I can still see you with that bike helmet on .

Just kidding .

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey incoop ,

Well said , I respect your opinion .

But I can still see you with that bike helmet on .

Just kidding .

I'm the guy in red.

Attachments

• 2010-five-boros-bike-tour-funny-hats08-600x450.jpg
    2010-five-boros-bike-tour-funny-hats08-600x450.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Boy, this subject matter has certainly meandered. Getting back to the subject at hand:

An 18' pontoon boat is very short, and it doesn't need a huge outboard to propel it. Big engines should be reserved for boats that have better structure, larger pontoons and longer pontoons.

Overpower your boat and have an accident, you may leave yourself open to litigation problems.

If you have needs to go faster than what the rated engine will provide, you need to get a bigger boat.

Simply put! Good luck.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

3. Before Henry Ford's "contraption" was mass produced and sold to the public it was engineered according to specifications that would make it safe for general public use. Sound familiar? Furthermore, comparing a Model T to a 24' party barge is as relevant as comparing a buckboard to a bowrider.

I don't think Henry gave much thought to passenger safety when he built the Model T

Glenn

woollums

Cadet

Ok, so what can be done to make our current engines perform better? Is it possible to pick up say, 5mph without a engine upgrade?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Ok, so what can be done to make our current engines perform better? Is it possible to pick up say, 5mph without a engine upgrade?

Those are loaded questions as the answer depends on many variables. Outboard in optimal condition? Proper RPMs? Correct prop? Pontoons clean and leak free? If not, then addressing those issues is what can be done to make the motor perform better. If so, the answer is no unless you want to remove everything but the helm from your boat or add things like lifting strakes, third toon, etc., and those types of modifications are usually cost prohibitive. Sometimes re-inventing the wheel is the best solution, but rarely.

you could look into the pontoon water glide , it will pick up around 5 or 6 mph on that size pontoon with a 50hp on it , but you are looking at $2000 to do it . How bad do you want the 5 mph ? My only issue with it is it will pick up the speed , but it still wont give me enough hp to pull tubes or skiers with a 50hp .

depty933

Cadet

Ok, I have read this entire thread as well as multiple other threads on the subject. There are as many opinions on this subject as there are well you get the picture. I have been around boats most of my life. I have always had ski boats or the like. My last boat before my pontoon was a 17 foot fish and ski with a 140 Johnson. My wife wanted a pontoon for my growing family (4 kids, 2 grandparents, and 2 labrador retrievers). I am very frustrated with how slow most pontoons are. My current pontoon is a 24' Riviera Cruiser with a 70 HP Tohatsu. Top speed is about 16 MPH. I am going to run the Jap motor until it quits and then, I am going to repower it with a Johnson V4. The boat is rated to hold a 90HP motor. Say what you want, but I will repower the toon with a V4 Johnson and if that happens to be a 100 HP or 115 HP so be it. I feel I am experienced and cautious enough to handle the boat.

rogerwa

Commander

Bad news.. That 70hp tohatsu will probably need help kicking the bucket. I have an '89 Nissan 90 which is a Tohatsu with different labeling and it is just as strong as day 1. I wanted the J/E V4 but didn't want the weight. I have a 25'er and get a little over 21mph with an 11p prop. Which I think is pretty good considering the size of this thing..

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have enjoyed this forum immensely since finding it some three years ago or so. With that said, I was extremely disappointed to find what I felt were disrespectful comments from a new member in this particular post.

I came to this forum brand new to the world of pontoons and have been tremendously grateful to all that have offered their experience to a newbie and I now find great joy in sharing what I've learned with others. Every one here has been amazingly kind to me and I appreciate you all taking the time from your busy lives to try to help make my boating experience as positive and safe as possible.

All my best -
Dwight

There are some things that may not come immediately to mind when adding horsepower:

1)You are adding weight to the stern (an aging transom may not handle it)
2)Your gas consumption will increase significantly
3)When skiing your prop will dig in deeper (watch for hazards that previously did not come into play)
4)Your controls may not match the new brand of motor (added expense).
5)You may need hydrolic steering with the motor size upgrade (more expense).
6)If you trailer the toon, is your trailer able to handle the added weight.
7)Have you unbalanced the tongue weight on the trailer?

I suggest you talk talk talk with marina service guys who have been around this stuff forever. And
also talk to any owner who has been through the process of upgrading horsepower on a toon.

Good luck!!

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm going to try to be brief, but that's hard for me. PA does not take the capacity plate into consideration on pontoons. They will not sight you or tell you you can't operate your pontoon with a motor that exceeds the cap plate. However, if you are operating any unsafe boat or operating in an unsafe manner they will throw the book at you. They just don't use cap plates on pontoons to make that determination. With that bit of knowledge in my head I set out to make the Forester a ski boat. It is rated for 60 hp, so I went out and got an OMC v4 90 and strapped it on. The long and the short of it is that the boat was not designed to go 30 mph and the big logs would get up on top of the water and pull the prop out no matter what we did. After a year of messing with it, and experiencing almost all of the issues san diego flyer listed above, I took the 90 off and went back to a 55 OMC.

I have recently made a deal to buy a 17 foot Sea Nymph CC with a 70 OMC that may cure my need for a little more speed and let me keep my little "patio boat".

In the last 20 years I have owned 3 new pontoons, and 3 new aluminum fish and skiis. I see a pattern developing and I hope the boss will understand that I just need 2 boats.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok after reading this lovely thread I felt I had to chime in. First off we need to realize that were reading sentences on a computer screen and not coming out of a persons mouth. These things can happen with neither side really being in fault. Now I want everyone to agree we need to hug it out and get over this, or we need to make more use of our smileys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.