Walmart boat cover waterproof?

mattb1974

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just looking to get some feedback on the $90 boat cover I saw at wallyworld. Just need a cover to keep out elements during summer months. Is this cover waterproof? Does it breathe a little? Only need to get 1 season out of it and not going to be used for trailering.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Walmart boat cover waterproof?

For $90 I bet its not water proof...

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have used a wally cover for 3 years. It is a little on the thin side, but it is water proof. I have never had water in my boat, even after it sitting for 3 months covered. I think it is a good buy for the money. Just be careful not to catch it on your glass (if you have any) It does rip easily.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

25 bucks at HF buys some nice plastic tarps, you can buy 3 or 4 and cover the boat all year

URDADDY

Seaman

No, not waterproof. A tarp from walmart made of plastic is waterproof if put on right and not torn. Im still not sure if my $250.00 cover from iboats is waterproof. But is dry so far.

zach103

Commander

I hate mine.. i would get water in it if i didnt have everything propped up perfectly.. also its very thin.. right now i have a huge tear in it becuase there was tooo much water on top

180shabah

Rear Admiral

wally caries two different covers - $90 is expensive for one and cheap for the other. have they added a third material to the shelves?

I have used two different covers from wally. The first one was very thin ($50) and had a 1 year warranty. It did breath fairly well and was very light and easy to handle. Mine lasted two years 'till a seam ripped. I think I could have got 3-4 years out of it if I had use a poly tarp during winter layup - would've cut the sun exposure in half. The second cover I got from wally was $100 and was a much heavier canvas material. It had two covered vent along the sides and the straps also passed OVER the cover for trailering (although I never trailered with it). It was warrantied for two years and lasted three - again the sun got to it.

Right now I just have a blue poly tarp, but am seriously considering going back to the thin cover, because it was so easy to handle. Would just have to think of the replacement as annual maintenance....

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

mine was $55 at walmart, and it IS waterproof. After it rains i have to go dump the puddles of water out of the cover so it doesnt rip. But, it wont let water thru. not the one i have, anyways.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used the wally world cover for 2 years now and it's waterproof. Water will stay puddled up on it until I either drain it or it evaporates. I will say that after 2 seasons mine is weathered pretty badly, has tons of mold growing under it, and the straps are starting to break. It sits out in direct Florida sunlight every day though so I'm not completely sure a better cover would be in too much better shape though. I think I paid $79 for it when I bought it. I'd buy another one.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just be careful not to catch it on your glass (if you have any) It does rip easily.

I second this one. The one I bought last year ripped right at the area on the corners of the windshield. Bought another one and placed tennis balls one the windshield corners to ease the sharp edge and it held up until the dang Wyoming wind shredded the cover. I now just use a blue poly tarp.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Difficult to prop them up correctly to prevent pooling of rain water. For winter though I would wrap it in a good sized tarp.
I consider the cheap covers more of a dust cover !!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have the $65.00 one that fits my 20' ......has kept the water out ...light and easy to use. I'm pleased with it.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

If you get the walmart cover and are ok buying one every year then they are ok. Yes I know they will last longer sometimes but by and large they don't. They rip easily if caught on anything and they sun rot pretty quick.

krakatoa

25 bucks at HF buys some nice plastic tarps, you can buy 3 or 4 and cover the boat all year

Cmon:cool:, there is no "nice" plastic tarps for cover a boat....

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used the Wally $90 cover for three winter layups. It has not leaked yet, but I make sure the water runs off and does not pool up. Last year I bungie corded to my tower so it was held way up so I never had any pooling of water, snow, or ice on the cover. I may get one more winter season out of it.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

My friend made some pvc pipe bows and rigged them between the cleats, is just enough to keep the cover from gathering water

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I ordered the "better" walmart cover and it held up great last winter and is still doing well. I made a frame to hold it up so it drains correctly and the inside of my 1/2 restored boat is bone dry.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2508681 <-- the one I ordered (pretty sure, at least)

The only gripe I have about it is the lack of tie-offs, as the far spaced tie downs leaves room for sagging and subsequent puddling of rain. I ended up bunching up sections to add more tie downs so nowhere is it slacking.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

The only gripe I have about it is the lack of tie-offs, as the far spaced tie downs leaves room for sagging and subsequent puddling of rain. I ended up bunching up sections to add more tie downs so nowhere is it slacking.

Brass grommets are cheap and easy to install - the site below is for a sale repair kit at about 23 bucks and has all the tools needed except the hammer

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...pid=3430&familyName=Handi-Grommet+Repair+Kits

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had one of the $50 ones and it did pretty well for over 3 seasons. I used to park my boat in the woods and didn't want to splurge on an expensive cover just to have it get filthy from the trees. I think it was more waterproof than the middle of the line Westland I replaced it with.

MTribe08

Don't buy it..its not very good at all..my neighbor has the exact same one. Very thin and flimsy..tears easily.

I bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAN...tQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_3163wt_1164 along with a few family members for their boats. This is a VERY nice cover 600 Denier marine fabric. Waterproof, and UV resistant, with a 5yr warranty.

I paid around $95 shipped. Its been great..held up in strong storms and has a very nice Tie down system, with all the straps included.

They have different sizes..I bought the 20-22' cover for my 21ft boat..fits like a glove over the swim platform.

Not sure what size your boat is..but they have different sizes..the 16-18' is a bit cheaper than the one I bought.