Wal-Mart and the Union

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Wal-Mart and the Union

:) John <br /><br />You must belong to a policemans or firemans union!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Postal union!!!! :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

the biggest thing walmart needs a union for is to ensure fair treatment of workers,a greviance process to keep low level management in line. <br /> ex: an employee of 4years was terminated for drinking a soda while waitting in line to pay for it along with other items on his day off.<br />obsurd , a reg customer wouldn't even be approched. except to be offered ice and a cup! have u heard of the greeter fired for a cartoon of him dressed in a walmart bag, computer imaged not by him, hung bulitin board back room after fifteen years,fired! he can reapply in 6months.<br /> You ***** to home office and a worker might loose their raise for the year, or get a "D"day,where they can write a plede leter "WHY I SHOULD KEEP/WANT MY JOB"<br /> fortunatly i can mortgage the store manager's home for her and she know its so she dont mess with the mrs. <br /> 37 years ibew and proud of it.

crab bait

Captain

as terrible as walmart is an the injustices to it's employees,, a union is 'justice' ticket. <br /><br />what local you guys outta ,, JOHN & WAJA.??

KaGee

Admiral

Rodbolt & Fly Rod.... I have experienced the same exact thing.<br /><br />Homerr... You are too funny! :D :D

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Johnshan1:<br /> IBEW electrical union
Glad to see other Brothers here on this fine site...<br />IBEW#8 10 yrs and counting..<br /><br />My better half went christmas shopping all day a few yrs ago(shocker huh) Anyways she comes home with bags in hands,arms,feet...You name it,it had abag hanging from it...I was going through the receipts to see how much she pushed us back, and found a wallyworld receipt...Made her take those packages back...My union bought several pubished books about wally and the bad news it brings to the local economy,after she sat and read them she will not step foot in them again.<br /><br />Everyone is entitled to shop where they want,I have friends that go to wallyworld,and they know I will never shop there...I dont look down on them for doing it, I just try and spread my knowledge onto them, where they go with it is up to them...<br />Also wont let anyone park a foreign car on my property, but im sure thats for another thread....lol

Fly Rod

Commander

Don't get me wrong about "Unions"!!! They were great back when our grandfathers, and for some of you, "great grandfathers", came and settled in this country, when their were magitudes of sweat shops and the working enviroment was terrible!!!<br /><br />This is the 21st century and I believe that there should still be some unions and non unions to keep a balance of labor cost & benefits!!!<br />State and city governments are going broke with the ridiculoues union demands of the past!!!!<br />Look at the auto industry, unions have ruined it!!!<br /><br />Bottom line is that if any one person feels a company owes them more, they do not have to work for that perticular company, "move on"!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> In addition, if everyone hates Wally world so much, why are they the number one retailer in the world?
They cater to fat smokers, with disabilities of an unknown origin who can't park straight.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and they got them killer electric scooters that dont fit down half the aisles :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Here is what turns my stomach about unions!!!<br /><br />Teaches Unions:<br /><br />We just had a nice nor easter that closed the schools for a week!!! School committee trys and does come up with a solution!!!<br /><br />How about school vacation week!! We can't do that everybody has made plans, "dropped"!!! O K !!!<br /><br />School committee votes and passes that they will have school on 5 Saturdays!!!<br />Teaches union!! That is not likely because it isn't in our contract!!!<br /><br />I can go along with that only if we take away 5 days pay !!! I'll bet they will fight to keep the money that they don't deserve!!! ;) :cool:

Twidget

Commander

There is the other extreme Fly Rod. My wife is a teacher in a Title 1 (low income) school.<br /><br />Her dept. head gets the bright idea of a field trip to the Ft. Worth Museum. Principal oks the trip. Letters are sent to the parents that it will cost $4.50 for their child to attend. <br /><br />My wife was informed Thursday that since it isnt a school district sponsored field trip, the district wont make up for any non paying parents. Department head comes back and tells classroom teachers that THEY will have to make up the shortfall. My wife has 10 freaking kids thats parents wont give up a six pack to send them on a field trip and the school expects her to pay :mad: <br /><br />Since she is a preK teacher, she is already buying them treats and prizes to bribe their good behavior. Now they want $45.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Fly Rod I agree with you 100%. I am non-union and have never been a union worker. I have worked at places that should have been union, for the REASON unions were started, equity in pay and benefits. <br />What really grinds me is WW's favors from the Bush adminstration on it's non-union practices. The meat-packers issue was scheduled to be investigate by the NLRB, but the director of the NLRB was dismissed by the administration without notice, cause or a replacement. Reader's Digest ran an article about this.<br />Unions have ruined many industries, but in other's they are necessary. <br />As for all the arrogant - If you don't like it get another job posts, that's easier said than done. For my profession, Automobile Mechanic, I am underpaid, but I am paid at the high end of the compensation scale for my area, and I still can't support my family alone. We don't have a car payment, or a boat payment, we have a couple credit cards, my tool payments, and the normal household bills. Oh, and we have a below median valued home, and don't eat steak, roasts, or high-off-the-hog. So a living wage is important to me. <br />The biggest retailer in America has a lot of power. Squish the local competition, hire the displaced workers because no one else has the business volume to need more employees. And since they have a monopoly on the demand for employees, guess what, they dictate what the wages will be, low. I worked retail for Target Stores. We were paid above minimum wage, but barely, while the company posted record profits. To be fair, Target provided benefits to all employees, full & part-time. Health benefits were subsidized without regard to hourly status, and the employee discount was good on all items, clearance or not. But none of this made up for the oppressive wages. I appreciate quality, but I demand value for my money. I will buy domestic if quality and price are comparable. But if American made products can't compare, I'll buy the best quality and value product available.<br />But all the posts are great thanks guys.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Nice post David!!! ;) most of us have gone thru what you are going thru!!! When the wife and i were young with young kids and paying 85 bucks a week rent, we bought our 1st house and needed 15 dollars more a month, and i asked the wife,"Where are we going to get the extra 15 bucks!!! Well, we managed!!! Look what ya need today!!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Twidget!! I hear ya!!! and i bet that some of them parents that didn't pay were driving a "Lexus or big SUV"!!!! ;) :cool:

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

the number one telco is verizon, very unionized, when we were on strike to sort out the economic package of the next period,not really the amount just how it sorted out. the president of verizon said, that the members of our family now torn apart will be united and will continue to earn a fair and just wage because that is who verizon is. walmart doesnt share that philosophy.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

my biggest beef with the njeu teachers union is how do they get time off durring the school year for convention, they wanna have a union meeting do it durring a reg vacation,summer or winter, why should the wholes system stop for two days.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I make more as a substitute school bus driver than half of the teachers do in my district per hour? figure

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I am a union electrician and I make close to double what a non-union one makes in my area...
What is it about the union electrician that makes him worth nearly twice the non-union electrician? <br /><br />Is it:<br /><br />- Formal and continuing training in your field?<br />- Testing and certifications?<br />- Experience?<br />- Accountability?<br /><br />What benefit does the contractor get from hiring a union electrican at nearly twice the cost of a licensed non-union electrician?<br /><br />What benefit does the end consumer get from having a union electrician on the job who was paid nearly twice the cost a non-union licensed electrician?<br /><br />I am not picking on electrician's union. These questions should be asked of any union worked job.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I will try to answer them as best I can Mark, here goes :) <br /><br />We have the best training in the industry, 5 years of class as well as on the job training, the non-union boys dont even come close to what we put in for training. <br /><br />The accountability comes from the fact that if you dont do a good job, you dont have a job. In my local there is upwards of 120+ guys laid off at the moment, there are not many jobs to go around so you better be good or else someone else will take your job. <br /><br />I can sum it up by saying that we do it quicker and the best way possible, we dont cut corners we do it right the first time.<br /><br />The largest electrical contractor in Maine is union and thriving if that tells you anything- Maine is pretty much against unions might I add :) <br /><br />The other thing is, you gotta realize that the customer usually takes the low bid on these commercial jobs I work on, if they dont like the price we dont get the job. We can still be paid twice as much as the non-union boys and still get the jobs, simply because we get it done right the first time, on time.<br /><br />I tryed to be quick about the reply, hope it makes sense im kinda running on little sleep here...<br /><br />-John